Peugeot 205 GTI values

Clear driving lights were on the S1 I have one from new. Never yellow.

Yes, I bought one new in August 1989, hence my comments about seat trim and lights. Given it was restored by the Peugeot Distributor you think it would be 100% correct. Ignoring my OCD observations it does look immaculate and is probably a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This GTi was discussed on another thread a year back.

7sx_3.jpg 7sx_2.jpg

Most of the restoration, including the seats, was done by an owner in WA before it was bought by S-D who then did a bit of cosmetic work. The yellow driving lights are a Euro spec version afaik.

Yes, I bought one new in August 1989, hence my comments about seat trim and lights. Given it was restored by the Peugeot Distributor you think it would be 100% correct. Ignoring my OCD observations it does look immaculate and is probably a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cosmetic work done by S-D included fairly crudely painting all the grey external trims in an incorrect glossy black. It's a pretty car, but we are definitely not talking about a fastidious factory restoration.

If you've got that money to spend on a nice 205 at the moment, I think you would be much better off bargaining down the price of the reasonably nice S3 that is on Carsales at the moment.

The cosmetic work done by S-D included fairly crudely painting all the grey external trims in an incorrect glossy black. It's a pretty car, but we are definitely not talking about a fastidious factory restoration.

If you've got that money to spend on a nice 205 at the moment, I think you would be much better off bargaining down the price of the reasonably nice S3 that is on Carsales at the moment.

Well said

That SD car is far from original.

The S3 on carsales is fair game.

The SD red GTI is definitely restored, with lots of effort and $s gone into it, just some areas not purely original. Lots of 205GTI people wanting pure originality especially when asking a premium price. For me the biggest issue at that price point would be the grey external trim, and what is it like mechanically?

I do agree the grey S3 car from NSW is worth perusing, I wonder what work it needs done apart from that bumper trim.

Its a mates car. Ive been holding off getting involved. Its a very complete car and has had quite a bit of recent work done to it. It needs attention to the paint and some minor stitching on the seats. Mechanically its very good and shouldnt need any work as far as I know.

If it can be had for 15k its a bargain as all the hard stuff has been done. (Bushes, rear beam, shocks etc).

The car has the red trim with it along with a couole of other bits. Hes too lazy to do it himself and is currently too busy be bothered with it. A good time me thinks to offer him something!

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t recall many of the high priced gti offerings over the last few years having reconditioned engines? All the major parts you’d replace are available: liners, rings, bearings etc, and it’s not that hard to get an 8v head reconditioned and give it a light skim. Sure it costs money, but the whole point of these cars is how much fun they are to drive when they’re in top mechanical condition isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Those cars you've seen selling for top money don't get driven too often and I doubt the owners buy them for that. They are just dead cars as far as I am concerned waiting to rot away in some barn and be discovered on youtube 50 years from now.

I expect therefore they would have all the problems of a car that stands too much and would need rubbers replaced, the matrix core, brakes refurbished and so on.

Those cars you've seen selling for top money don't get driven too often and I doubt the owners buy them for that. They are just dead cars as far as I am concerned waiting to rot away in some barn and be discovered on youtube 50 years from now.

I expect therefore they would have all the problems of a car that stands too much and would need rubbers replaced, the matrix core, brakes refurbished and so on.

028258C3-9299-4E62-87F5-18DA04BF6C7C-205-0000000DBA30E60D.jpeg

To be fair I came across a lot of cars like this when I was looking for one, it took me years to find one that had evidence of being properly maintained or mechanically rebuilt. There were too many owners thinking they were sitting on a gold mine whilst neglecting their cars. At least two I looked at had to get a battery out of another car to get started, a surprising number of owners had no idea when the timing belt had been changed, and one I drove pulled dangerously to one side under braking with a stuck caliper. None of these cars were advertised cheaply for the time! I settled on one needing paint and interior work but had been subject to a full professional engine rebuild with BBM and Pug1off supplied parts, a raft of new suspension parts, new headlights (new headlights are a really good investment btw) and was thoroughly honestly described. I think things in the market are better now but I'm glad overall that I chose one based on how it drove and what had been done to it rather than one of the unloved (read unused) but glossier looking ones.

Anyone on here score the red gti for $600 in south Australia?... I was sooo tempted but figured it needed a lot of work

Ive had no luck selling mine with half the ks travelled and similar condition.