Peugeot 205 GTI values

Where on the Central Coast are you. I’m heading to Newcastle next Monday.
I’ll PM you

Im in Avoca Beach
The car is going into the body shop to get some stone chips and a couple of dints sorted on the bonnet that day.

Are you up here for a few days?

Im in Avoca Beach
The car is going into the body shop to get some stone chips and a couple of dints sorted on the bonnet that day.

Are you up here for a few days?

no mate

fly into Sydney Sunday, then up to Newcastle and back the same day. I’ve e PM’d you so feel free to give me a call to discuss further.
in Sydney all week though.

cheers

In the uk I have always known it as steel grey, had a couple of steel greys too ����

And above no one said Gris magnum, they said gun metal grey that’s a differant colour too, which I have had @bout 4 of.

Hi All,
Could someone please tell me how I can find out all there is to know about Phases and Series for 205 GTI.
Classic Register talks about https://classicregister.com/guides?page=2
1986-87 - Phase 1 (1.9l)
1987-90 - Phase 1.5 (1.9l)
1990-94 - Phase 2 (1.9l)
There is no mention of "series".
Other Googling did not help.

Thanks in advance.

The reference to "series" is Aussiefrog vernacular. What we refer to as a series 1 car means phase 1, s2 is phase 1.5 and s3 means a phase 2 car.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

AU_205_GTi_Ident_Matrix.png

Of course ppl can retrofit rear disk brakes and 15" Speedlines as well as the clear indicators from Series 3 to earlier cars.

Cheers

Hi All,
Could someone please tell me how I can find out all there is to know about Phases and Series for 205 GTI.
Classic Register talks about https://classicregister.com/guides?page=2
1986-87 - Phase 1 (1.9l)
1987-90 - Phase 1.5 (1.9l)
1990-94 - Phase 2 (1.9l)
There is no mention of "series".
Other Googling did not help.

Thanks in advance.

ng850,
Thanks for that. Very useful information. Just as a matter of interest, what is the source of it. I have been searching for something like this and just didn't find it.

Cheers

Hi Doug, yes you are right about it changing hands a few times in its later life, I must admit I was a bit worried re this! In its early life it had a couple of long term owners (looking at the paperwork provided) I actually rang one of them to find out a bit more. I must admit I hadn't done all (literally none) my homework on 205's and regarding aussie spec ones, i.e. dfz engine/cat. I saw a receipt for a second hand head so got a bit excited, turns out he bought it but never had it fitted, although he told me about the valve stem seals being replaced. Not sure if this head is original or has been skimmed but I am really happy with the performance of the car as I want to keep original as poss.
Interesting thing I noticed when I purchased it was that the coolant use to come out of the expansion overflow after a long run (was summer time as well) after you had stopped the engine, turned out the expansion cap was faulty and replaced with correct cap, problem sorted. I was lucky with that as it could have been something worse, so maybe the last couple of owners got the frighteners re that, thinking it was head gasket etc!?
I was fortunate so to speak just before we bought our house as we had saved,begged, borrowed and sold stuff over years to raise the deposit so thought well there is no chance I will be able to buy a classic car from my youth after mortgage etc so searched what cars were out there. Datsun 240z would be nice, checked the price and almost had a heart attack and thought I know a mk1 or 2 Mexico etc, even bigger shock. My budget was $20k absolute max, hence why the 205gti came on the radar, plus when they came out in the UK they were like some Ferrari hatchback that just changed the car world for teenagers like me but unfortunately I was driving a few hundred dollar Mini (mechanics wages sucked). So had I not bought the car last year, I could not now be able to afford even the cheapest non gti 205 for sale! So yes I bought unseen but was happy with what arrived, although driving a car with no p/s and all the rattles and creaks at first made me think what the heck have I done. Must admit I can really see what everyone on this site see's in them, I actually love it to bits and hopefully wont ever have to put it up for sale again! I have never made any money on vehicle purchases and usually buy quick on impulse and then spend some more on making it nicer and when I sell it, I loose money on it so as to do it all over again, lucky my wife loves and forgives me :clown: (25 year anni next year!) every motorbike I have owned I have sold for slightly less than I bought them for, but what is the fun of not being able to tinker on them:)

I would love to come and see your 205, I haven't seen any around since getting mine, but cannot remember seeing any in the 19 years I have lived in Perth. If there is anything I can help you with re yours, I am only starting to learn about these wonderful cars mechanically and use to be a car mechanic in my previous life, 30 years ago in the UK, so absolutely lost on any type of electronics :confused:(points and condensor ok:)
Also I never knew there was so much interest in the 205 in Australia, especially in motorsport, and what with the vast knowledge of people on this site (Peter T etc) I don't think you can go wrong with 205 ownership here.
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul,

I'll PM you as to not to go to off topic for the thread.

Cheers,

Doug

Pintail, the matrix is based on what has been previously published, the collective wisdom of the AF fraternity and my own research.
I also provided Tim, who runs the ClassicRegister site, with some detailed info on the AU spec GTi's.

The Phase 1.75/Series 2.5 is my own invention to distinguish this transition AM90 vintage... guilty as charged.

You always have to keep in mind with the UK (and Euro) references that our Series 1 and 2 (and 2.5) GTi's were based on 1.6 GTi's with a DFZ engine stuffed under the bonnet.

Another difference across all of the series is that Australia is deemed as a HOT climate market and so we had A/C, twin speed/dual rad fans and the oil/water heat exchanger installed as standard. We also got electric windows as standard as well.

Cheers

ng850,
Thanks for that. Very useful information. Just as a matter of interest, what is the source of it. I have been searching for something like this and just didn't find it.

Cheers

Pintail, the matrix is based on what has been previously published, the collective wisdom of the AF fraternity and my own research.
I also provided Tim, who runs the ClassicRegister site, with some detailed info on the AU spec GTi's.

ng850,
Much appreciated. Thanks again!

Looks very good but it has the wrong seat material and it came with clear driving lights not the yellow fog lights.

Looks very good but it has the wrong seat material and it came with clear driving lights not the yellow fog lights.

ooooh jeez your right! Better wait until another much better one pops up, any day now..