New Alpine - will we really see one on the road?

Seriously....Oh no - it's most likely my bad driving which has caused the worlds DSG issues.

Read the following article where professional drivers comment on badly behaved DSG's in A3's, A45's and GTI's....but what would I know ?

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/what-hot-hatch-should-i-buy--118958.html

I think I've got my point across.

Cheers

Justin

In my estimation the crew of Drive wouldn't know a car from a milk crate and their credentials don't appear to cover a long enough period in total to be considered "professional drivers". :2cents:

The only twin clutch auto I have driven is a Mitsubishi Evo 10 and the box was as smooth as silk in both gentle an spirited motoring, or a maybe it was the driver, never looked at it that way previously:roflmao: :confused: :banana:

The only twin clutch auto I have driven is a Mitsubishi Evo 10 and the box was as smooth as silk in both gentle an spirited motoring, or a maybe it was the driver, never looked at it that way previously:roflmao: :confused: :banana:

hehe - maybe Rob was driving at the time..... :roflmao:

Cheers

Justin

I saw one on the road a few weeks ago. The driver was even nice enough to hold back a bit while the car in front moved up at the lights so I could get a photo. A bit dirty, but frigging awesome! Pictures from when I finally caught up with it on foot (fortunately stuck in traffic) to when I first saw it coming down the street.
20180706_180807.jpg
20180706_180536.jpg
20180706_180519.jpg

Off topic, Mitsubishi give a 10 year warranty on their Getrag dual clutch transmission in the Evo X. Dual clutch wouldn't put me off an Alpine A110.

Like it or not, DSG trans are gaining "traction" in the car market.

With fuel efficiency being demanded by car owners it is no surprise.

At point in time DSGs are a mature technology.

So it is necessary to move on from the " VW bad press" which has been feature of past DSG discussions.

And if there are any "cons" with current iterations of the product IMO they are well exceed by "pros"

Very few drivers are able to match or exceed the DSG gear change speed, compared to a driving a manual and match the smoothness of gear changes.

It is a reality: DSGs are here to stay (until a better technology is developed).

Personally, after gaining familiarity , I find DSGs equal to or better than conventional autos or even manuals.

And if there are any "cons" with current iterations of the product IMO they are well exceed by "pros"

Very few drivers are able to match or exceed the DSG gear change speed, compared to a driving a manual and match the smoothness of gear changes.

It is a reality: DSGs are here to stay (until a better technology is developed).

Personally, after gaining familiarity , I find DSGs equal to or better than conventional autos or even manuals.

Probably a bit off topic to this discussion, but I couldn't care less how fast the dual clutch can shift, or how economical it may be, for me it's about the enjoyment and involvement given by manually changing gears - Unfortunately something that will likely disappear in the coming years.

Really loved the idea of this Alpine as it was being developed but completely lost interest when released as an auto only. Yes, I've driven DSG equipped cars before (and have zero interest in owning one), but in my (maybe old fashioned) mind, a car developed as a driver focused sports car should still offer a manual option at least. Seems to be a cracker of a car otherwise though.

Probably a bit off topic to this discussion, but I couldn't care less how fast the dual clutch can shift, or how economical it may be, for me it's about the enjoyment and involvement given by manually changing gears - Unfortunately something that will likely disappear in the coming years.

Really loved the idea of this Alpine as it was being developed but completely lost interest when released as an auto only. Yes, I've driven DSG equipped cars before (and have zero interest in owning one), but in my (maybe old fashioned) mind, a car developed as a driver focused sports car should still offer a manual option at least. Seems to be a cracker of a car otherwise though.

You might like to ask yourself whether any car at the pinnacle of motorsport (and I don't mean bullshit V8 supercars) still has a manual gearbox?

Exactly, because Motorsport is about being the fastest. I'm talking about driver enjoyment on the road, where a couple of tenths of a second difference in gear change doesn't mean anything.

I get the point and regret that manuals are going the way of the dodo bird. Same as those enthusiasts who enjoy black powder shooting. Driving a manual properly, double clutching etc is, for me, more fun than pulling paddles or just pointing and pressing the go and whoa pedals. And I feel the same about all the electronic stability aids too.

Last edited:
You guys scare me! I cut my teeth early on on Turner five speed non synchro gearboxes with three speed non synchro joeys. Absolute pain in the arse compared with Roadranger 9, 10, 13, and 15 speed twin countershaft dual range non synchro gearboxes. I loved the 18 speed Roadranger before they made a full automatic version of it, but at the end of the day, I've never driven a box as exceptionally good as the 7 speed EDC box in my wife's 2017 Megane sedan. And I've driven a few, not just thought about it!

Maybe you need to get a Focus RS.....

Yes Kim, you're right there. I'd also prefer the Megane to any of the manuals you drove. But those manuals were driving for work rather than for pleasure. I wouldn't get excited about driving any of them for an early morning tonic on a winding road.

Driving a manual properly, double clutching etc is, for me, more fun than pulling paddles or just pointing and pressing the go and whoa pedals

If you apply your learned skill set to driving a DSG smoothly and fast. Then you may find a DSG similarly enjoyable - albeit a with lot less physical input required.

As to paddles? I seldom use the them. The DSG will override my choice if it's likely to cause issues to trans or gearbox. And I very , very seldom find the DSG in the "wrong" gear.

Making sure the DSG is the "right" gear is part of the art of driving them and all about accelerator control.

I see a dsg an advance in technology rather than a hindrance to my previous driving technique.

Ford have dropped DSG type auto transmissions for torque converter type. As far as I know DSG means dual mass flywheel also which I can live without.
If it’s getting long in the tooth I prefer a torque converter.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs