The "Blue Danube"

ScotFrog, Chris, contacted the Brisbane guy for Uticolour today.... $350 to come to my place and paint the four pieces, or $240 to take them to his place and paint match them there. Sounds expensive, but have no comparison... Chris, your comment reads like you used them before?

Sven

Do we have a reference colour code for these parts or can we give a section a thorough scrub to get rid of any oxidised surface issues then colour match?

SF

Perhaps the c pillar trim where it sits behind the seat cushion could be used as a reference?

KU3MTP3.jpg

Matthew :)

PS I scrubbed my roof lining with Jif when I first bought it and while it came up cleaner it still has a yellow aged look to it.

In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

View attachment 73247View attachment 73248

After:

View attachment 73249View attachment 73250

Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day :).

I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work :mad: Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

Before:

View attachment 73251

"After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

View attachment 73252View attachment 73253

Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on... :D

Sven

I have a brand new one here for a wagon. Rolled up with slight damage from storage. I think the hole was in the middle somewhere. Not sure how the best route to make it useful is. They haven't been this color since they were new, 45 years ago.

Thanks daffy, jumped the gun and ordered one from Holland yesterday...

In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

View attachment 73247View attachment 73248

After:

View attachment 73249View attachment 73250

Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day :).

I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work :mad: Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

Before:

View attachment 73251

"After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

View attachment 73252View attachment 73253

Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on... :D

Sven

Can I ask how you straightened out the corrugated pillar covers?

Alistair

Can I ask how you straightened out the corrugated pillar covers?

Alistair

Not rocket science: folded up a towel so it was quite well cushioned and then just used by thumbs to massage them into shape. Mine were quite soft ( not sure whether they are all like that), so that worked well for the larger dents, etc. the smaller dents I got out pretty well using the back end of a wooden pencil. The hexagon shaped radii seemed to fit the corrugations pretty well and then just carefully rubbed and pushed out the dents.

Not rocket science: folded up a towel so it was quite well cushioned and then just used by thumbs to massage them into shape. Mine were quite soft ( not sure whether they are all like that), so that worked well for the larger dents, etc. the smaller dents I got out pretty well using the back end of a wooden pencil. The hexagon shaped radii seemed to fit the corrugations pretty well and then just carefully rubbed and pushed out the dents.

Many thanks...

3rd time lucky!

With the words of "Con the Fruiterer": Beautifuuuul...! :D

Have found an excellent match for the vinyl headliner and the C-pillar covers - SEM's Super White. Bought it from Prestige Paints in Archerfield. Did use a whole can on the three small parts, but it is very even and very good looking - nice and bright and not too white.

IMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpg

Have to get a few more cans, but am looking forward doing the roof.

To not end up with all the overspray on the garage floor and everything else that is around I built myself a "spray booth" - a few lengths of 25x25mm aluminium extrusions, Qubelok joiners, paint sheets and voila: A spray booth :)

IMG_0547.jpg

worked well on the vinyl paint...

Here also the promised photos of the re-anodised B-Pillar covers and the dash chrome bezels - they all came out really well:

IMG_0551.jpgIMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpgIMG_0554.jpg

Once I got the C-Pillar ones back I'll stick them on here as well for you to look at...

Not being the metal work expert I started on the rust repairs. Bought a sheet of 1mm steel and started making up the roof rail pieces...

IMG_0555.jpg

Ended up being a pretty easy job, so moved onto the more tricky bits on the C-Pillars. That was rewarding. Really enjoyed fitting and cutting the areas - time to weld them in next...

IMG_0556.jpgIMG_0557.jpg

The bottom of the boot will be a little more difficult... three panels coming together and lots of radii. :D Looking forward to it! I first thought I leave it as is was, but it stared me in the eye with its poxy repairs and a couple of small holes in it... putty could fill it, but that's not cricket, is it!?

IMG_0558.jpg

Not sure I get time tomorrow, but we'll see...

And one more add-on regarding my German mates from Der Franzose: Found out the reason my parcel hasn't arrived in two months is.... SEA FREIGHT! Am I the only one astonished about that? It is a pretty light parcel and to send it sea freight is the 19th century method.

Ordered also a few parts from Citroworld in NL - let's see what method they use...maybe a bicycle courier! :D

Looks like patience will be a virtue and will be tested thoroughly. Maybe I am just used to Pelican Parts supplies ex the US - airfreight and here within 2 weeks...

Sven

Sven,

You struck gold with your supplier with the plastic chrome, an absolutely sensational result :approve:

73487d1440247901-blue-danube-img_0553.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Hi Sven,

Been trying to get to posting here now for over a week...!

Good to meet you again and as I said the car is a cracker - nice and solid, drives beautifully and perfect colour....:)

It seems the C-pillar replacement work is in the air, I see Tim has been doing his also and I've just spent quite a few days fixing mine with new drain channels.... I think a legacy of being a Bondi car - the salt air being washed into the upper surfaces. The car is perfect everywhere except the boot tops, door bottoms, headlight bottoms and the centre front of the roof rail.

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers,

Mark...:)

IMG_20150801_104612.jpgIMG_20150801_150520.jpgIMG_20150802_144546.jpgIMG_20150813_195052.jpgIMG_20150813_195056.jpgIMG_20150814_194418.jpgIMG_20150815_145933.jpgIMG_20150815_164435.jpgIMG_20150816_183914.jpgIMG_20150816_183928.jpgIMG_20150816_183934.jpg

Bit off topic,but looking at the wheels on the purple ds 21 reminded me when i had to repair and paint a Aveling Barford road roller,
the type with a big steel roller at the front and a high roller either side.
painted it cat yellow and did the side roller wheels like the purple ds,did look different rolling down the road.

Fantastic project there bleudanube. I'm going to reinstate the Blue Andalou that was originally on mine AC623. I'm wondering about whether to have a contrasting roof - white, gris or even noir - but will see. Plenty to go on with here before this decision needs to be made.

Tim

Hi Sven,

Been trying to get to posting here now for over a week...!

Good to meet you again and as I said the car is a cracker - nice and solid, drives beautifully and perfect colour....:)

It seems the C-pillar replacement work is in the air, I see Tim has been doing his also and I've just spent quite a few days fixing mine with new drain channels.... I think a legacy of being a Bondi car - the salt air being washed into the upper surfaces. The car is perfect everywhere except the boot tops, door bottoms, headlight bottoms and the centre front of the roof rail.

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers,

Mark...:)

View attachment 73582View attachment 73583View attachment 73584View attachment 73585View attachment 73586View attachment 73587View attachment 73588View attachment 73589View attachment 73590View attachment 73591View attachment 73592

I am dipping my toes into work that I haven't done before, and as Chris and many others here on this forum stated: you learn as you go and once you learn how to do a job... None of them are rocket science, just patience required and to learn from the errors made.

It is like my metal work bits: now that they worked well and didn't take me 50 attempts I'm thinking: how hard can welding be? Or the paint "booth": Surely I can do the basics and at least get it to 2K primer stage ��? So a welder and spray gun/compressor might be next on th shopping list ��

Taken plenty of inspiration from Chris' blog, but have also been thinking: wonder what lurks under that rust bubble under the headlights.... Might well be worse than it looks at face value... ��

Sven

who did you get to reanodise the pillar trims?

Balki, bit of home turf advantage :D : I run a business that has an anodising plant, so my guys had a go at the b-pillar ones first and are doing the c-pillar ones next... Trying to get a softer finish next... We will see.

Sven

Fantastic project there bleudanube. I'm going to reinstate the Blue Andalou that was originally on mine AC623. I'm wondering about whether to have a contrasting roof - white, gris or even noir - but will see. Plenty to go on with here before this decision needs to be made.

Tim

yep, am in the same position... Plenty of time still, but somehow I like to know what I am shooting for and how the end goal will look like. Am torn between the bleu Andalou or remain faithful to the Danube. Either way the car will get a white roof, so I will get some interim fix :D and will be one step closer to the big decision when it is due...

and then the interior... Blue/white? Or maybe red/white :banana:, just to be all out there... Think I saw a photo of that combo in mnm's selection...

Sven

I am dipping my toes into work that I haven't done before, and as Chris and many others here on this forum stated: you learn as you go and once you learn how to do a job... None of them are rocket science, just patience required and to learn from the errors made.

It is like my metal work bits: now that they worked well and didn't take me 50 attempts I'm thinking: how hard can welding be? Or the paint "booth": Surely I can do the basics and at least get it to 2K primer stage ��? So a welder and spray gun/compressor might be next on th shopping list ��

Taken plenty of inspiration from Chris' blog, but have also been thinking: wonder what lurks under that rust bubble under the headlights.... Might well be worse than it looks at face value... ��

Sven

Sven,
My MIG is yours for a loan if you would like to experiment, I'm pretty well finished with rust repairs for a good time I hope.

Spraying 2K is a hazardous pastime, get the biggest compressor you can run from home. Again, I have an airflow mask at your disposal, it draws a fair wack of air and should ideally be run through a filter. Running your gun and the mask is a big ask from a home compressor. Painting single panels at a time works to get you to primer stage. I see gumtree now have a few options in Brisbane for booth hire and not too expensive if you are organised - these should have plenty of air at your disposal. Likewise with a gun for final coats, I have a SATA 3000 runs at 2bar ready for finish coats, when you're ready sing out :wink2:

Cheers
Chris