The "Blue Danube"

bleudanube

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Well,

time to get into it... been lurking in the shadows for the past few months... ever since I became the proud owner of a 1970 D Super in Bleu Danube, which I bought from a guy in Toowoomba. My first Citroen, so be patient with me as I learn. :D

It has been a great car I must admit. Having driven about 1000klms in the past three months, it has proven to be reliable, spacious (the kids certainly prefer it over my 911 I had before the DS) and everyone I meet seems to know someone who had a DS or a story about one... cute!

222.jpg223.jpg

Coincidental colour match Wife-DS... :). I am still mulling over the colour scheme (as, from reading the blogs here, everyone appears to do)... the Danube Blue is Ok I find, but I am not 1005 convinced yet. It is the original colour and that is normally what I would retain, but I also like the Bleu D'Orient and the Blue Andalou.

But, I don't have to make a call yet - early days! It will also put on a white roof I think - and maybe even white walls... anyone cringing yet? :D:cry::nownow:

The interior is blue / faded black velour, but was originally black Targa - too hot and sticky for Brisbane, so a revamp will also be in order... would blue/white velour become a too blue/white a car? Maybe, we will see!

Been looking at the thousands of photos Matthew and others posted - choices, choices...

Anyway, here a few more "before" shots. The car is in good enough condition to drive and in poor enough condition to restore:

310.jpg311.jpg312.jpg313.jpg323.jpg324.jpg325.jpg329.jpg340.jpg342.jpg346.jpg348.jpg380.jpg381.jpg

So, with limited Citroen experience I thought best to start at the back. Pulled all the bits off to check the body for rust, removed the roof as well as it needs repainting anyway. What I found hasn't been too bad: A little rust around the boot opening, C-pillars and the roof rails - but nothing major.

The car is overall straight, the floors appear in good nick, hydraulics working well, pump kicking in every 30 seconds or so. The bright work is in good condition, just needs polishing.

403.jpg404.jpg427.jpg448.jpg456.jpg471.jpg473.jpg

The roof came off Ok, but unfortunately the beige roof rubber was that brittle that is broke into pieces removing it, so I am hunting for a new one... at the same time I might see if I can find new headliner material as mine is a tad faded. It isn't horrible, but as the roof is off I would prefer to replace it - anyone any suggestions where to find the correct material?

451.jpg477.jpg480.jpg

Better put this post up before I lose it again (did last night...:mad:) and will add more in the next one...

First entry done! Hope you will enjoy the resto blog and I may lean on your combined experience at time.

Sven

Do you need to press "reply" to add more to a blog? About to find out...

388.jpg389.jpg582.jpg584.jpg587.jpg

A few shots of the ears and boot rails... it was all covered up in seam sealer with pretty poor welding and repairs underneath. As I am welding illiterate this may be an interesting challenge to repair (mates help for sure) and to learn.

Sven

Welcome to the fun, the backstabbing, the long searches with mixed results, and hopefully, welcome to a whole lot of driving enjoyment.

It's a great beauty of the internet just how much information there is on fabrication and welding from some absolutely amazing practitioners. The little sequence on this forum, of a fellow making new floor pans for a Renault Jolly, was of great interest - he had a sneaky trick using an air chisel with UHMW bullet tip, to form "pressed" grooves.

In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

314.jpg317.jpg

After:

405.jpg406.jpg

Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day :).

I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work :mad: Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

Before:

232.jpg

"After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

580.jpg581.jpg

Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on... :D

Sven

Welcome aboard Sven

you look like you have an attention to detail reminiscent of Greenblood and his thread. Looking forward to further posts.

Matthew :)

PS... Bleu Danube, one year only. Identifies the car as 1970 instantly. :2cents:

Hi and welcome Sven,

Your car looks to be in remarkably good condition, if it spent most of it's life in Toowoomba that might explain why.

There is a huge amount of information available here with 4 or 5 Ds currently under some form of restoration and a few now in the completed sub forum.

The internal Cant rubber has recently become available as a repro part, I have one ready to fit to my car and the quality looks to be very good. As you can see from your part, there is a metal centre that as far as I'm aware is not available as a replacement part.
The rubber is available here >> CITRO' SERVICES Srl <<

65090d1421633863-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-3inner-roof-cant-rail-trim.jpg

65741d1422767634-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-2cant-rail-rubber-crimp.jpg

The roof lining material is not available (by the way it's not vinyl), yours looks like it might clean up and at worst you could recolour it. On my own car it had been replaced using a grey velor more suited to a Pallas, I'm using a vinyl very close to original as used on early VW. Let me know if you would like more detail or a sample.

Where are you in Brisbane, we could meet up for a chat :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Edit: I see you are working on a solution for the headlining :)

And why not a few thought starters in regards to colour schemes - opinions welcome and will be ignored to suit :D :

I started liking the Oriental Blue with Silver roof...

558.jpg566.jpg572.jpg

But then thought: Boring? Conservative? Or rather sophisticated?

How about the Andalou Blue (at least I think it is...) with white roof:

561.jpg563.jpg578.jpg

Danube vs Andalou - who's the winner?

577.JPG

Or maybe all the way out there and go for the Rally look :eek:

570.jpg What blue would that be? Gitanes Cigarette Blue?

The left one I do like... white roof and white walls (but which blue is it?)... the right hand one is Danube + White Roof

574.jpg576.JPG

Choices, choices...

Or maybe not blue at all? Maybe Panama Jaune... DOH!

Anyway, more soon...

Sven

Yep, only 1970... but therein lies the issue - to change away from Bleu Danube or remain faithful to the originality of the car. Anyway, haven't even really started restoring it and am already up in knots on colour schemes - heard this would happen! One day it will just come to me... like the right red came to you!

Sven

Hi and welcome Sven,

Your car looks to be in remarkably good condition, if it spent most of it's life in Toowoomba that might explain why.

There is a huge amount of information available here with 4 or 5 Ds currently under some form of restoration and a few now in the completed sub forum.

The internal Cant rubber has recently become available as a repro part, I have one ready to fit to my car and the quality looks to be very good. As you can see from your part, there is a metal centre that as far as I'm aware is not available as a replacement part.
The rubber is available here >> CITRO' SERVICES Srl <<

65090d1421633863-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-3inner-roof-cant-rail-trim.jpg

65741d1422767634-greenblood%92s-d-very-special-rejuvenation-2009-2cant-rail-rubber-crimp.jpg

The roof lining material is not available (by the way it's not vinyl), yours looks like it might clean up and at worst you could recolour it. On my own car it had been replaced using a grey velor more suited to a Pallas, I'm using a vinyl very close to original as used on early VW. Let me know if you would like more detail or a sample.

Where are you in Brisbane, we could meet up for a chat :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Edit: I see you are working on a solution for the headlining :)

Chris,

am in Graceville - would be great to catch up some time. Met Mark Gordon at the 60th club meeting and he has given it the once over and all clear as well, so that's a good start (as I don't really know how DS' should drive). Good news on the rubber then... it looks grey though? Did they come in beige and grey or is my beige a dirty/discoloured original grey rubber after all?

What's the head liner if not vinyl? Rubber matting?

Absolutely Sven. ... fickle is my middle name. I like all the blues actually, the Bleu Andalou pic you posted in particular. But yes it is a personal choice. Bleu on Bleu??

Vwzq7vR.png

I think the original Danube looks great. Your car is unique in having that for that year only - i recon celebrate it. Like the White roof tho, breaks it up a bit.

Beautiful car, so very jealous....

Will be watching closely, might even get inspired to restore the Kombi finally..

Bit off track, but just a quick question to members:

Have you ever bought parts from Der Franzose in Germany? Maybe I am just out of luck, but ordered parts almost 2 months ago and they still have not arrived... starting to p&%s me off and the replies from them have been lacking at best... sent them another mail today and if I don't get a response tonight I will ring them tomorrow...

Sven

Has anyone else had bad experiences with them, or am I just unlucky with this one shipment?

Chris,

am in Graceville - would be great to catch up some time. Met Mark Gordon at the 60th club meeting and he has given it the once over and all clear as well, so that's a good start (as I don't really know how DS' should drive). Good news on the rubber then... it looks grey though? Did they come in beige and grey or is my beige a dirty/discoloured original grey rubber after all?

What's the head liner if not vinyl? Rubber matting?

Yep, Mark certainly sets the bar when it comes to restoring a DS, his DS21 BVH is absolutely sensational and correct to minute detail. If he gave your car the thumbs up you have a very good starting point.

With regard to the internal Cant rubber, yes it is a little light and possibly should lean a little more to beige, in real life it's not too bad and given where it sits it shouldn't stand out. Who knows what they looked like when new? You have two choices as yours is destroyed, find good second hand or use the repro.

The hood lining appears to be a a rubber product, quite soft and stretchy. If yours is in good condition, I think you are on the right track cleaning, and if you have to colouring.

Have you ever bought parts from Der Franzose in Germany? Maybe I am just out of luck, but ordered parts almost 2 months ago and they still have not arrived... starting to p&%s me off and the replies from them have been lacking at best... sent them another mail today and if I don't get a response tonight I will ring them tomorrow...

Sven

Has anyone else had bad experiences with them, or am I just unlucky with this one shipment?

I've only made one successful purchase from them, and on that occasion they charged VAT so not entirely happy. They have plenty of competition so it pays to shop around.

Cheers
Chris

Sven

Hi Sven

I have bought heaps of stuff from them and never had a problem. They did send me the wrong colour door cards though..blue instead of red. I contacted them via email, the apologised profusely, sent me the correct colour and paid for shipping to return the blue ones.

Sorry to hear about your experience though... it could be Australian customs.

Sven

Dear Sven

Der Franzose generally good - very helpful and have never been ripped off.

Their delivery is slower than others ( e.g Serie04 in france ) but it always gets there in the end

Some of their reproduction stuff needs watching - I have had some reproduction panels that were not right, others were excellent. Similarly with other parts. Most of their stuff is very good.

In fairness to them , they give a scale of 1-4 in grading the quality of their parts, so one has been warned. Check this before deciding about any particular part.

Have got stuff for both the 404 and the DS from them and their range is good. One also needs to be careful about part descriptions to be sure that one gets the right bit for the year of the car - some of their descriptions are less than illuminating, but I would also plead guilty to being less than bright in many areas, so a lot of the errors were mine rather than theirs.

Overall, well worth using.

Good luck with the resto - very nice car

Andrew

trim repaint

Sven, the colour can easily be matched up by a Uticolor repairer, just look on the internet for you local guy. I could do it for you in 10 minutes if you were in Sydney.

Thanks Chris, just had a look at the Uticolour website. Looks promising. Will ring them tomorrow and see whether they can help. Says the Brisbane guy only does "Automotove Trade"... We'll see...

Well,

time to get into it... been lurking in the shadows for the past few months... ever since I became the proud owner of a 1970 D Super in Bleu Danube, which I bought from a guy in Toowoomba. My first Citroen, so be patient with me as I learn. :D

It has been a great car I must admit. Having driven about 1000klms in the past three months, it has proven to be reliable, spacious (the kids certainly prefer it over my 911 I had before the DS) and everyone I meet seems to know someone who had a DS or a story about one... cute!

View attachment 73212View attachment 73213

Coincidental colour match Wife-DS... :). I am still mulling over the colour scheme (as, from reading the blogs here, everyone appears to do)... the Danube Blue is Ok I find, but I am not 1005 convinced yet. It is the original colour and that is normally what I would retain, but I also like the Bleu D'Orient and the Blue Andalou.

But, I don't have to make a call yet - early days! It will also put on a white roof I think - and maybe even white walls... anyone cringing yet? :D:cry::nownow:

The interior is blue / faded black velour, but was originally black Targa - too hot and sticky for Brisbane, so a revamp will also be in order... would blue/white velour become a too blue/white a car? Maybe, we will see!

Been looking at the thousands of photos Matthew and others posted - choices, choices...

Anyway, here a few more "before" shots. The car is in good enough condition to drive and in poor enough condition to restore:

View attachment 73214View attachment 73215View attachment 73216View attachment 73217View attachment 73218View attachment 73219View attachment 73220View attachment 73221View attachment 73222View attachment 73223View attachment 73224View attachment 73225View attachment 73226View attachment 73227

So, with limited Citroen experience I thought best to start at the back. Pulled all the bits off to check the body for rust, removed the roof as well as it needs repainting anyway. What I found hasn't been too bad: A little rust around the boot opening, C-pillars and the roof rails - but nothing major.

The car is overall straight, the floors appear in good nick, hydraulics working well, pump kicking in every 30 seconds or so. The bright work is in good condition, just needs polishing.

View attachment 73228View attachment 73229View attachment 73230View attachment 73231View attachment 73232View attachment 73233View attachment 73234

The roof came off Ok, but unfortunately the beige roof rubber was that brittle that is broke into pieces removing it, so I am hunting for a new one... at the same time I might see if I can find new headliner material as mine is a tad faded. It isn't horrible, but as the roof is off I would prefer to replace it - anyone any suggestions where to find the correct material?

View attachment 73235View attachment 73236View attachment 73237

Better put this post up before I lose it again (did last night...:mad:) and will add more in the next one...

First entry done! Hope you will enjoy the resto blog and I may lean on your combined experience at time.

Sven

Sven,
Our cars look to be at a very similar start point in terms of rust. Yours looks overall to be in much better condition that what I'm starting with. It will be interesting to pace each other.
Re the headlining material. Mine looks shabby too and I was contemplating finding a foam backed velour similar to Pallas trim but I'm reluctant to go down the Pallasifying route. The embossed vinyl is actually un-damaged as yours looks to be too. Does anyone here know of a suitable spray vinyl paint, the kind they use to repair blemishes on PVC upholstery? Or is that not a way forward?

SF

Of course I ask the vinyl question at the relevant point then note AFTER that my question was already answered. Duh!:disappr:
I'm going to contact Uticolour ASAP.

SF