Koleos Register

The condenstation may be blocked vents- the little rubber elbows that face downwards on most lights. My other car, a "grey import" has a problem with moisture in the lights, and owners have discussed ways of fixing the problem for years. I put a new second-hand light in one side yesterday, and blow me down if I didn't get moisture in it by washing the back before insertion! The previous headlight, original, had horrible things growing on the reflector surfaces, but strangely, this doesn't affect performance too much as they're projector lights. It's an appearance thing. That light had been pulled apart (warmed in an oven) and re-glued after all interior surfaces were polished.

As for the price of (I assume) HID lights, they are a ripoff considering I put them in the other car for under $100 four years ago. The only thing I don't like about them is the globe colour temperature, which I'll change when these ones die. Our Koleos has standard globes (I assume H7?) but I've not yet had to change them. Our previous SUV was a nuisance, the whole headlight had to come out to change a globe!

Okay guys I found some manuals online that showed me where the rear bumper fixing points are.
They appear to be crash repair manuals rather than general service so they may not have much but worth having as a resource.

Index of /koleos

This is my web server so I will leave them online

Well I may not be as smart as I think I am as I have ordered the bits from partsale.eu using paypal (to get some protection).
I may have pissed a few bucks away but if it works then I have saved a heap of dough and shoved it up the blatant ripoff merchants here in Australia. To be on the safe side I immediately went in and changed my paypal password afterwards and used money that's was in credit from an ebay sale item ($60) balance rather than through one of my accounts.
I will keep you guys apprised of how it happens or doesn't happen - guess I am the guinea pig - no wait - they are in the backyard unfortunately.

Okay an update on this post for you.
Here is what the part I was talking about looked like on our recently purchased 2009 Koleos.
DSC_0159.jpg

Not pretty is it.

What was less pretty was this email confirming what replacement parts here in Melbourne would cost.

"...The Drivers side windscreen cover is $138.33
The Passenger side windscreen cover is $138.75

Both are available half a day from my head office.

Feel free to give me a call if you wish to place an order....

Ye Gods - 2 plastic bits total bill $277.00 you have got to be kidding. :cry:

About 8 weeks ago i took a punt and ordered the pieces off a company located in Latvia of all places at about a third of the cost here in Australia
It may well have been a rort/scam who knows.
But their website quoted shipping to Australia was 23 Euro or about $33 AUD.
Not a lot of customer contact although I did get email confirming they would be shipped shortly.

So today, Mr Postman comes to the door, just under 8 weeks later and.

DSC_0109.jpgDSC_0110.jpg

HOUSTON WE HAVE PARTS - OFFICIAL RENAULT PARTS
And a healthier bank balance.

Most definitely worth the excercise and wait in my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys
We have just purchased a used 2009 Renault Koleos Dynamique in Blue with only 38,000 kms on the clock.
Belonged to a doctor in Sydney so she obviously only drove it to work and back again.
Obviouos few door bumps and scratches, nothing serious.
It was hard work convincing my wife to change from her beloved Kia Rio (she loved the little sporty beast) but now is in love with her Koleos as she was with her RX4 Scenic a few years back.
Thus far I have not managed to get my hands on the keys very much but when I did I loved the 2.5ltr pull in manual.
I am hoping this is not going to be a money drain though having had Renault's before, their parts pricing sucks when it comes to bits that are uniquely Renault.

Can I ask if anyone has experienced the hardening of the rubber seals at the bottom corner of the windshield ?
I have a horrible feeling it is a common complaint. At first I thought it was plastic but on opening the bonnet the rest of the structure is rubber. But it has gone as brittle as all hell ! Now that to me is a design fault after only 5 years.
But the freakin dealer wants $139 for each side ! For a piece of moulded rubber ? You have to be joking.
Any ideas suggestions ? (see attached photos of part in question)
View attachment 58813View attachment 58814View attachment 58815

Hi Storm,
Yes, I have 2009 Privilege and both sides went. They were probably gone enough during the warranty period to have them replaced but didn't notice until too late. Mine were around $155 ea. from Perth (slightly different ea. side). Luckily, the car was still on lease so paid for out of those funds but still VERY annoying. Sunvisors are another rubbish part, I replaced driver's side (not cheap either) but went for the cheaper non-light one presumably from a Dynamique although it's beige. So far passenger side OK but we leave it down all the time. Wife is short and can see right under it. I'm tall but whenever I'm on that side I'm sleeping :)

Hi Fred
Yeah its very common. I work casual at an offsite Airport carpark and look at every Koleos that comes in.
It's pretty common place for them to go hard. I am thinking a periodic spray with Armorall or something may keep them in reasonable nick for a few years.

As you would have seen above I managed to source some from overseas so if you need any give me a yell

Ray

Hi Fred
Yeah its very common. I work casual at an offsite Airport carpark and look at every Koleos that comes in.
It's pretty common place for them to go hard. I am thinking a periodic spray with Armorall or something may keep them in reasonable nick for a few years.

As you would have seen above I managed to source some from overseas so if you need any give me a yell

Ray

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the offer, I bought mine out of Melville Renault in Perth earlier last year, before the lease ran out end April. Had them fitted when car was serviced. So I'm right for a few years, I hope! Moving to Tassie so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in life from the less-harsh environment. Sub-tropical WA has harsh sun! Ours was mostly parked in a carport, too.

Dear All, I've had my Koleos a week and love it but there isn't enough rake adjust on the manual seat for my long legs. I'm using a wedge shaped cushion to support my thighs. Does anyone know if the electric seats give more adjustment? Rgds Ian

Your local Dealer should be able to fit spacers to raise the seat front if there is no more electricity in the seat adjustment. I only have a manual seat, am 6' 3 1/2" and the only time I raise the seat from it's lowest setting is when travelling on rocky tracks, so I have a better view over the bonnet.

No joy re the spacers. I phoned a Renault dealer and they don't do that sort of thing. I also looked to buy a Haynes manual to give me clue as to how to remove the sdats, but Mr Hayne didn't write One for the Koleos, probably being a rare model in the UK. In the meantime I am looking to get a wedge cushion made us.

Just popping in to say G'day. In a few hours I'll be the owner of a 2009 Koleos Dynamique S. I've travelled a long distance (by UK standards!) to collect it so staying in a hotel overnight before picking it up in the morning and driving back to (old) South Wales.

They are a very rare beast here. I've just looked on our main used car website and there are 16,527 Renault cars for sale on there, only 25 of which are Koleos.

Reading the posts of all you very knowledgeable folks on here convinced me it should be a good buy and I'll stick around to share experiences. I've already started the obligatory shopping spree that accompanies a car acquisition and picked up some floor mats, roof bars, tyre compressor, and some nice leather wallets for the key cars.

I've also ordered the necessary for my first intended modification, which is to fit a DAB digital radio system. I'll be back for help if I run into any problems with that :)

You can add me to the Koleos register. Purchased a 2009 model as a demo in early 2011.
Dynamique 4x4 2.0 Diesel 6 speed.
just clocked over 75000km
Just added this radio/satnav and reversing cam last week - installed by technique (who said it was his second Koleos in the last month or so). All good operationally so far, although the silver trims on each side of the console will need a minor trim to fir the lower profile of the single DIN head unit.

Taking delivery of a 2015 Koleos Bose Premium petrol this Friday. Its been a long 7 month wait...

Hi all, first post on AussieFrogs.

Just bought a 2010 Koleos Dynamique 4x4 (petrol) last Friday, after eyeing these cars off for quite a while. Ultra Silver in colour, 58k on the odo and extremely well cared for. Is also one of the MY2010 upgrade models, which scored the colour screen with satnav (and funky joystick controller) and rear spoiler. Also came with factory fitted towbar which is a major bonus for me as it will be used for my bike rack.

Wife loves all the features and thoughtful little touches and the kids (3 and 4) love the tables and sunblinds. We did a lot of research over the last year or so into SUV's and wagons, and for our budget the Koleos always came out on top. Now that we have one we absolutely love it, plan on keeping it for many years to come.

Short term plans include some seat covers (ours are cloth and kids are messy) and a dash mat. Will pick everybody's brains about these and other things in the technical thread. Also read stormtiger's posts about the windscreen corner pieces that go brittle over time, ours have gone the same way although they haven't been prodded enough yet to actually fall apart. Ordered a set from him on ebay last night in anticipation - looks like this forum has helped me out already!

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Guys, I just bought a 2010 Koleos 4x2 petrol CVT. - in fact it's my first Renault although I have owned at least 6 memorable Peugeots in the last 50 years. Looking forward to joining in some forum discussions :)

Last edited:
I just joined the club with a 2013 Bose Expression Petrol CVT in Mars Grey. Loving it so far - it is easily the best appointed car in the price range, with all the fruit plus a full size alloy spare. I read a few reviews that said it was a it gutless but that hasn't been my experience at all. The window shades, tray tables and storage in the back make it perfect for hauling the kids around too. In the 2 weeks I've had it I have only seen one other Koleos on the road. I wonder why it didn't take off in Oz?

I just joined the club with a 2013 Bose Expression Petrol CVT in Mars Grey. Loving it so far - it is easily the best appointed car in the price range, with all the fruit plus a full size alloy spare. I read a few reviews that said it was a it gutless but that hasn't been my experience at all. The window shades, tray tables and storage in the back make it perfect for hauling the kids around too. In the 2 weeks I've had it I have only seen one other Koleos on the road. I wonder why it didn't take off in Oz?

Well, natacon and all the other Koleos newbies above, welcome to the extremely small but happy and satisfied group of Koleos owners! You are right, the Koleos delivers much more for the money than most people expect. And, as you already found out, it gives you 'exclusivity'! Not everyone wants to drive around in a 'me-too' chariot like the Mazda CX5 or the RAV4! But it takes a bit of courage to step outside the square, and not many Australian motorists are game enough to risk something different. As to why the Koleos did not take off in Aussie? I put it down to lack of awareness. Pure and simple.

Well, I for one am certainly very much aware of the worth of the venerable Koleos. Therefore I am happy to report to my fellow Koleos owners that I have finally managed, after three years and five aborted attempts, to snare a low mileage 2014 Koleos Bose, through a deal that I consider fair and reasonable. Although, what kind of silly fool invests in a car that is now well and truly obsolete and therefore has zero re-sale value (if it ever had any before this)! Goes to show: age does not protect us from foolishness! But, the Koleos suits me splendidly and I have no desire to own the coming 'bigger' version. Nor do I desire any of the other direct competitors I have extensively tested and compared recently. See you on the road somewhere! (PS: pity about the dodgy spare and lack of cooled glove box though - but the other gimmicks are nice to have to play with! :dance: