R10 extractor design..

Even though I only drove your car around the block it did seem smoother and reved out nicer, so there is a noticable difference between the two.

P.S. I'd be more than happy to swap a new set of extractors for a set of side draughts....eh buddy?
click

I just bought a 40 DCOE Weber over here only as I got it cheap and dont really need it that much, but I don't have a manifold spare but if you just want the Weber in exchange, call me.

Ray,

I measured each pipe individually with a piece of rubber hose and the lengths are as follows..

1. 860
2. 880
3. 800
4. 780

So not perfectly tuned but will have to do as I am trying to work within my limited skill level..metal fab isn't exactly my forte. I may be able to fiddle with 2 and 4 to even them out a bit.
Nice DIY. Glad I'm not the only one who cuts metal with wood tools.:D
When you are measuring press bend pipes of various ID, does that sort of cancel out any accuracy in actual measured lenght???
Put another way, does the increased velocity of the smaller section effect the calculations of length??

Jo

When you are measuring press bend pipes of various ID, does that sort of cancel out any accuracy in actual measured lenght???
Put another way, does the increased velocity of the smaller section effect the calculations of length??

Jo
Jo,

I guess the answer to that would be, yes it would affect overall tuning but I'm not skilled up enough to be chasing the nth degree of performance from a set of extractors.

So far these have cost me $16 for the prototype and $85 for the bent pipes and collector so is a good cheap way to learn these things...:approve:

What ever the outcome it will be a big improvement on the exhaust system I currently have.

Jo,

I guess the answer to that would be, yes it would affect overall tuning but I'm not skilled up enough to be chasing the nth degree of performance from a set of extractors.

So far these have cost me $16 for the prototype and $85 for the bent pipes and collector so is a good cheap way to learn these things...:approve:

What ever the outcome it will be a big improvement on the exhaust system I currently have.

Thats a very respectable build budget.
My fuego pipes cost about $70 for the manifold flange plate then roughly $700 for someone to build them from scratch.

Jo

Jo

You could fill them with sand and measure the difference.

Having thought about it all these pipes have very similar bends anyway so the difference wouldn't be great.

Ready for fitting tomorrow...

The welds aren't pretty but they are solid and I don't see any holes anywhere, so I guess I nailed it.

I fiddled with pipe lengths before welding and then shortened the overall length to allow more room for a muffler and tail pipe which form part of the secondary.

The overall lengths from head to end of cone are,

1. 775
2. 795
3. 715
4. 710

That's about 10% variation in tuned length so I've got to be happy with that...

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,250
Have a go lads it's easy..

OMG what a difference a good set of extractors makes...

The first thing I noticed was the much smoother idling, I adjusted it down from 1100rpm to 800rpm, nice.

Not much to rave about around town except the smoothness and different note.

The real noticable difference is from 80kmh onward, planting the foot at highway speed and she revs out freely and just wants to keep going so I guess that would be considered good midrange torque.

As this is a 53 year old car I don't intending finding out the top speed implications any time soon but I am rapped with the results. Pics attached..

Costs are as follows..

Plastic prototype $16

Bent header pipes and collector $85

2X90deg mandral bends $70

Hotdog and clamps $98

In summary the primary length is 760 and secondary is 1000 from collector to the tip of the tailpipe.

I welded a 90deg bend onto the collector and ran a hotdog muffler under the radiator and it fits like a bought one, now I just need to make up a chrome tail pipe and all is sweet.

The picture below is a good example what not to do when making extractors...note the difference in primary lengths and the merge from 2-1, this is an old set I have in my spares collection and they vibrate like buggery because they aren't balanced well and don't flow well.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
OMG what a difference a good set of extractors makes...

I am so glad!! Now at least there is another body that appreciates a good extractor. That extra hp cost very little.

Frans.

I have what I am told are extractors for a 10

I have an extractor for a 10 in my shed if you want a look SMS 0417379176

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a design for extractors for street use with a standard sierra 1.4l?

I am after pipe sizes, primary and secondary length etc., I can do the rest.

It seems 4-2-1 is the go but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance..

Thanks screwg1,

I am sorted for the moment but would you mind posting a couple of picks on this thread for future reference...?

Welcome to Aussiefrogs.

Graham

Interestingly with the new extractors fitted is seems the color at the tailpipe has gone from a sooty black color to a dark grey.

Hi, This proves that your extractor is working. It is a known fact that a good extractor exhaust system will cause your motor to run leaner, sometimes to the extent that you need to fit larger main jets to compensate. This is your opportunity to tune the carb for more power.

Cheers, Henry

Looks really good. Neat and tidy installation. The other one with the yellow background is hard to find words for.

The old extractors made the whole car vibrate at idle and low revs and the exhaust note was a bit like an old truck, The new ones by contrast makes for a smooth idle and acceleration and sound 'on-song' particularly at highway speeds.

Hi, This proves that your extractor is working. It is a known fact that a good extractor exhaust system will cause your motor to run leaner, sometimes to the extent that you need to fit larger main jets to compensate. This is your opportunity to tune the carb for more power.

Cheers, Henry

Thanks Henry,

I hadn't considered upping the main jets though I might go up a size in primary jet. The carby is brand new and I really haven't explored the posibility of tinkering with it yet...I'll put that on the to do list.

Awesome effort, and awesome result from the sounds of things. I wish I'd been game to do this sort of thing myself when paying shops mucho dollars years ago, only to get very average results back.

Cheers

Justin

G'day,

......have you considered twin SUs for a reasonable alternative. I am sure there are thousands out there on dead BMC rubbish just waiting to be reused.......

As an old fart that's been there..... If you want to go down that road for a cheap experiment look for Stromberg CDs, not SUs, off a similar size motor - except that you will use 2 of them, not 1, of course. SU's were good when they were new, no problems, however, they are subject to mechanical conundrums in the piston zone as they age that will drive you bananas - the Strombergs operate on the same principle but they use a diaphram and thus remove at least one of the variables. As a guide to size, I have used up to twin 2" on a two litre.

Might be easier all round though to go the bike carby system these days, one for each pot :approve:

Nice effort on the extractors.

cheers,
Bob

silly me - I thought I'd ask the question - my misteak. in case anyone is interested, Genie Headers (Brisbane) are willing to make up a set of headers for the Renault 10 for the poultry sum of $780 - that's not chicken feed - or is it?

I did mention to them that there could be a bit of business for them in that area, both in Oz and o/s - perhaps I should ask for a special price for 10 sets and eBay them myself?

BP

image.jpgI paid $1500 for my set of twin weber setup but that included inlet and exhaust (although I had to supply the inlet tube then ceramic coat them separately ($250) when done).