Jaeger DS Clock

It is screwed. Whereas on the Citrotech one there are no screws to be seen.
Sure, I can glue the screws in place, but then maybe the plate is glued to the mechanism in the repro... I may try the el cheapo solution first :·)

Well. Your Jaeger is still right twice a day. You're just driving it at the wrong time :)

Hmm.
I got me a cheapo.
Renault 19 Kienzle, 18€. The only one I found without the seconds hand.
I got it because the case dimensions are the same as the Jaeger.
When you open the case, though... Pff. Not impossible. Discouraging.

elcheapo.JPG

I have had success putting a Series 1 CX clock mech into my SM. The SM mech had lost a bottom bearing but the CX mech just needed a re-oil to get going. I just swopped the hands over and I needed to buy 2 x black M2 x 5mm screws as the face screws on the CX Mech are M2 rather than the SM which had M1 screws - and drill out the face and perspex covers to 2mm as well.

I set the clock to run slightly slow rather than run the risk of it running fast so it is a lot easier to correct the time without having to turn the clock backwards.

Cheers, Ken

Cheers, Ken

G'day,

Hmm.
I got me a cheapo.
Renault 19 Kienzle, 18€. The only one I found without the seconds hand.
I got it because the case dimensions are the same as the Jaeger.
When you open the case, though... Pff. Not impossible. Discouraging.

View attachment 100847

maybe just an alternative hands set-up deliberately included in the package.... :approve:

cheers,
Bob

Actually, that cheapo was so discouraging, I gave it another go.
Swapping the ruby bushings around (top for bottom) probably had worked, but I had sightly bent the minute hand while reassembling, which blocked everything :blush:.

So far, it's working. Has been a few days.

Swapping the whaty-what-whats? Did you have to take the whole thing apart?

No, not the whole thing. Just the case really.
I should have taken a picture. I didn't. If I get lucky, the clock keeps working, I won't.
If you get lucky, it stops, I will :)

Still, if you just take the case off, and connect it to a 12V power supply (or even a 9V battery), you'll notice a vertical shaft with a magnet and counterweight at the bottom. Goes (or it should) flip-flop, like a rotary horizontal pendulum.
That is held by two bushings, with ruby-like (they're red) bottoms.
They can be unscrewed, swapped, and screwed back in. Someone suggested doing just that, I did, it seems to work.

Trick is finding the point where there is no play, no friction.
I did that by screwing the bottom on as far as it went, the top one, by trial and error.

If you try, it's quite intuitive.
All you need is a good light, a magnifying glass, and a very small screwdriver.

Thanks. I will note that tip down for when I get to that point.

Thanks Chris

That explains it much better. I was only acting on the advice of a clock repairer myself and as you say, it actually works. My view is that if the mechanism can be brought back to lif - all well and good. Will need to be proven in the long term but if there is a long term issue, nothing really lost in the process

Well, a year on and clock is totally reliable. It just goes to show that a bit of different thinking is nor always wrong.

Reminds me to take you up on your offer Peter and drop the clock off at your place...!

This is the best available information on repairing DS Jaeger clocks.

http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson/red-cd/Electrical/Jaeger clock repair.pdf

That site

http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson

(belonging to Ben Mack, maintained by Tony Jackson, based on an international effort begun by our own Double Chevron and contributed to by several of us) is the best source of published DS information around. It is now being ported to an easier-to-remember address.

http://www.classic-citroen-tech.co.uk/home-cct.htm

Roger
Hi Roger, these urls are not active. Can you help? I've sent an email. Ian

Hi. I think you'll find that this is the document.

Attachments

• JAEGER copy.pdf
    125.9 KB · Views: 38
It’s not that hard

Remove the clock from the dash
Remove the time pin from the front (you pull it off may need pliers and a rag
Unscrew and unbolt the back
Blow out the dust gently with air
Check and see no components are broken
Lubricate the mechanism with clock oil
Reassemble
Install upside down for two weeks (I don’t know why but it works)
The reinstall right way up. You may need to adjust speed on the back if it runs fast or slow

I have done a few this way and it works

Good simple instructions Peter,
IMG_2173.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg

I was doing well till I noticed the spring (see red arrow) was busted. That seems to be my underlying issue.
any spares out there?

• Sad
Reactions: bob
It’s not that hard

Remove the clock from the dash
Remove the time pin from the front (you pull it off may need pliers and a rag
Unscrew and unbolt the back
Blow out the dust gently with air
Check and see no components are broken
Lubricate the mechanism with clock oil
Reassemble
Install upside down for two weeks (I don’t know why but it works)
The reinstall right way up. You may need to adjust speed on the back if it runs fast or slow

I have done a few this way and it works
Your fix of mine a couple years back Peter still works a treat. Although it does lose a few minutes each day…