Code readers and diagagnostic gagets

Apart from the chemtrail, it is largely fault free.

"Kim" OTOH, drinks like a fish (av. 19.6/100km) with no fault codes showing and fairly good sensor readings. A good example of when on screen diagnostics don't get you anywhere.

You've got a hole in your petrol tank!!!!!

Jo

Nah; there is either a fractured wire in the CAS feed that causes a double signal, or the pressure reg is stuffed.

Nah; there is either a fractured wire in the CAS feed that causes a double signal, or the pressure reg is stuffed.

Does the o2 sensor give out any usefull data??

Jo

It intimates a fairly normal waveform, with a bit too much time on the rich side of things. Have seen 126mV; lower than I normally spot on a cycling sensor. Lexia gives you sample intervals that mismatch with sensor cycling, so you see a bunch of "steps" that repeat in similar but not identical amounts.

It has been postulated that of the "Fauxia" offered to buyers, there exist two versions of the circuit board; one early and one later.

Further to this, one Irish bloke who's got a bit of experience says the later one can be reflashed to run DiagBox while earlier design boards cannot. The virtue of newer versions is simply that you know you have access to the most up-to-date info on firmware for each module/component.

The other difference between some offerings, is that downloads (sundry ECU software updates) are not possible with some. You can see the file list but not install any. I cannot isolate a pattern, version or seller in this comment.

Finally - no diagnostic software is a subsitute for mechanical experience. You can on occasion, spend as much time rooting about with a handful of known codes, as if you just worked from first principles. The benefit here, is you can nicely clear the faults log once done. :)

postcript: I don't think $400 all in for a bunch of knowledge and "power" is bad value.

Thanks addo info received and point well taken :cool:

So after ringing around, here's the guff on gearbox the ECU. Apparently they're not able to be re-programed by the local repair shop, nor the corner dealership acting as sub agent or whatever. They can only be programed by the official distributor/dealer because the factory in France refuses to hand over the required information/codes.
I'm informed that it sometimes happens that the ECU looses it's memory when the gearbox has been taken out, as in my case, and for Peugeot it's quite common apparently. So common that re-program is the norm.

However in my case I rebuilt the gearbox, which means box out and box in. It drove nicely afterwards with no ECU faults, a pleasure as always, I mean when the AL4s are working properly they're magic. So smooth and I just love that diesel engine. Anyway a few days later the crankshaft rear seal started leaking, don't know why I didn't replace it while the box was out, just stupid I guess, penny wise etc, but after the box went back in the ECU refused to cooperate. So gear changes all over the place and converter lock only on first. Anyway booked it in to Brisbane Citroen and we'll see what they reckon. Guy at service desk told me it's a common thing, but they prefer the vehicle to be cold, so leave it overnight.
I don't expect any dramas, but I've made a tentative appointment with the bank manager just in case. :cheers:

I had the brisbane dealer run a diagnostic on my c2 just today, cost me $152.

they did a little tinkering with it and it's all sorted... for now.

So after ringing around, here's the guff on gearbox the ECU. Apparently they're not able to be re-programed by the local repair shop, nor the corner dealership acting as sub agent or whatever. They can only be programed by the official distributor/dealer because the factory in France refuses to hand over the required information/codes.
I'm informed that it sometimes happens that the ECU looses it's memory when the gearbox has been taken out, as in my case, and for Peugeot it's quite common apparently. So common that re-program is the norm.

However in my case I rebuilt the gearbox, which means box out and box in. It drove nicely afterwards with no ECU faults, a pleasure as always, I mean when the AL4s are working properly they're magic. So smooth and I just love that diesel engine. Anyway a few days later the crankshaft rear seal started leaking, don't know why I didn't replace it while the box was out, just stupid I guess, penny wise etc, but after the box went back in the ECU refused to cooperate. So gear changes all over the place and converter lock only on first. Anyway booked it in to Brisbane Citroen and we'll see what they reckon. Guy at service desk told me it's a common thing, but they prefer the vehicle to be cold, so leave it overnight.

There's some half truths in all you've been told.

First up, it's YOUR car, so you are entitled to be provided with all unique codes at a fair price, no more. Key cutting code, BSI access code, any others it may have as well. If you cannot get this from them - especially after paying for their work, PM me and I'll point you at an overseas source.

Gearbox ECU is a separate box. While there is some difference in the communication protocol between models and marques, they seem usually to work - just without communication to Lexia/Peugeot Planet. New gearbox ECUs are virginal; a used one can be "virginised" by aftermarket sources such as BBA Reman. You cannot overwrite with the same version; it has to be tagged as an update - hence the need to virginise sometimes.

Lexia and DiagBox in full monty form, contain the download files. You need to have the car in a BSI unlocked state (see note above on codes), and follow the prompts. My cut down Lexia does not have the download files, so I can't reflash at present, however others in the UK have done so with complete success. From a professional POV the risk bothers me at present; a new gearbox ECU would cost me about $600 and take up to a fortnight in delivery...

As a side note, a Lexia in the wrong hands is a weapon. I've found oil wear counters reset to dead zero after a partial refill and this is just not what it's about. It's a tool to help sort the wheat from chaff, and keep on top of changes to firmware - not something to quickly delete an error log for the purpose of looking good to another investigator.

As a side note, a Lexia in the wrong hands is a weapon. I've found oil wear counters reset to dead zero after a partial refill and this is just not what it's about. It's a tool to help sort the wheat from chaff, and keep on top of changes to firmware - not something to quickly delete an error log for the purpose of looking good to another investigator.

Did they get the metho onto the little sticker on the corner of the window too???
OR did they just use a white board marker to begin with.

Jo

Might as bloody well, sometimes.

Just today eyeballed a non-Frog whose owner had been touched up by a mechanic on Sydney's northern fringe. $1200 for a service and there was bugger-all evidence of work done, save for a PAS hose installed back to front (it then chafed through on the pump belt).

I hear what your saying addo, and agree that we should be able to get whatever information we want on our own car. Much discussion about this very subject on the www. Still wont make the French release the access codes though. Some UK bloggers claim to have re-programed box ECU, I'll accept your word that it was a success. New virginal ECU from China but I'm not going there. One site I found with supposedly an AL4 diagnostic manual [I never recorded the site] stated the ECU was non up datable or reprogrammable, so where does he live?. Manufacturers have for many years refused to release certain information to the general trade. Volvo, Mercedes, Mibitsrshitty,and even the good 'ol Chrysler come to mind. Diagnostic downloads remain the domain of the experienced technician interpreting the information correctly, "is it the sensor or the connection or the wiring" I reckon most of the time, a miss interpretation is what we end up paying for.
Meanwhile its pay pay pay. :cheers:

Message me the last eight of your VIN and I'll return you the key cutting code, radio code (if there is) and the BSI access code within 36 hours. This is the "sooper-dooper topsy-wopsy big secret" stuff your dealer is stroking themselves about.

Message me the last eight of your VIN and I'll return you the key cutting code, radio code (if there is) and the BSI access code within 36 hours. This is the "sooper-dooper topsy-wopsy big secret" stuff your dealer is stroking themselves about.

can you get a radio code for me as well addo

now that i have the troop carrier running with new alternator i might be able to get some tunes :D

http://www.peugeotcodes.com/

'Rambo, your car may not be young enough. Have you tried finding the manual. If the cars handbooks are there is should have the radio card in there. The xantia and XM books are in a trapdoor under the dash, you drop the door down to expose the fuses, and the manuals are contained in the door.

seeya,
Shane L.

http://www.peugeotcodes.com/

'Rambo, your car may not be young enough. Have you tried finding the manual. If the cars handbooks are there is should have the radio card in there. The xantia and XM books are in a trapdoor under the dash, you drop the door down to expose the fuses, and the manuals are contained in the door.

seeya,
Shane L.

no handbooks with this car

Try Betty Swallocks (his site is the one Shane linked; from memory his real name is Mark), or the UK Fleabay cheapie: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xmaffyx -
I cannot verify this bloke, but have a half mind to try him on a known code set and see what he comes up with. At £4 he is the cheapest...

I bought a cheap lexia from good old ebay today. A downside is that I need to contaminate a laptop with windows.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I've had an old work laptop gathering dust in the corner..... I meant to return it this week, when I mentioned it, they pointed to a stack of identical laptops piled up on a bench and said "don't hurry to bring it back" ..... so I've just downloaded a copy of XP pro and stuck on it.... It'll be my "lexia machine". My home PC's have run a version a linux for at least 5years now.

seeya,
Shane L.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I've had an old work laptop gathering dust in the corner..... I meant to return it this week, when I mentioned it, they pointed to a stack of identical laptops piled up on a bench and said "don't hurry to bring it back" ..... so I've just downloaded a copy of XP pro and stuck on it.... It'll be my "lexia machine". My home PC's have run a version a linux for at least 5years now.

seeya,
Shane L.

I wonder if it would work under VirtualBox. I presume the cables connect via USB and the USB support on VirtualBox has improved. Either that or installing XP on a separate partition.