Code readers and diagagnostic gagets

shanadoo

Fellow Frogger
Ok tried before, now trying again.
Any Frogers use their own scanners?, what type do you use? Does it work properly or just turn off the service light?
Are there any cheap scanners available suitable for C5 Hdi. Sorry Lexia is not suitable for me, and anyway the sellers of those $100 Lexia/Proxia specials on flea bay say they won't on, or may not work on diesels. A good few Aussie sellers offer nothing except a picture and price, and their Email is turned off apparently. I need a stand alone reader or something which runs on XP platform for C5 Hdi. :banana:

I have been a through a few C5 diesels with Lexia; what is your problem?

thanks for answer.
My laptop runs Vista, desktop runs XP, silly isn't it, and the desktop doesn't have sufficient available memory for Lexia, but I need a gearbox diagnostic download. I'm suspect of these non Lexia readers which state used on Citroen hence the post.:cheers:

You shouldn't experience any problem, other than having Vista. XP is more stable with these 3rd party programs.

A secondhand laptop, suited to the entire Lexia suite can be bought for $100, then the Lexia for another $100 or so.

Cheap diagnostics at your fingertips.

A few years ago the Lexia was available, but unaffordable for all but a chosen few.
Thanks to China; they're helping us access these once luxuries by making them affordable.

Last edited:
Ok tried before, now trying again.
Any Frogers use their own scanners?, what type do you use? Does it work properly or just turn off the service light?
Are there any cheap scanners available suitable for C5 Hdi. Sorry Lexia is not suitable for me, and anyway the sellers of those $100 Lexia/Proxia specials on flea bay say they won't on, or may not work on diesels. A good few Aussie sellers offer nothing except a picture and price, and their Email is turned off apparently. I need a stand alone reader or something which runs on XP platform for C5 Hdi. :banana:

Hi :):)
I have a MaxiDiag FR704 scanner. It's the one for French cars, so has all the French cars listed.

I use it to get rid of the phantom codes that my early C5 petrol generates now and again and some real ones also. It has the general code statements for the codes but still refers you to the "manufacturers" for quite a few. So much for the dedicated French model :rolleyes:

I have found it usefull but annoying as it's so limited. As for doing what the "genuine factory tools do', it dosen't.:disappr: It cannot(as far as I can work it) operate things or turn them on or off etc. So that is crap too.

I would recommend buying a Lexia probably even though I have not used one. Cheaper as well. :cool: Even including the cheap laptop.
:cheers:jaahn

The only caveat on lapdogs, is get one with at least a gigabyte of RAM. Twice that will be better.

When downloading massive fault logs, this can make all the difference!

I tie it in with the 'net, so a diagnosis can lead to faulty parts being priced on the spot both at local rates and overseas pricing. To do this you need a few USB ports; two being the bare minimum.

The only caveat on lapdogs, is get one with at least a gigabyte of RAM. Twice that will be better.

I tie it in with the 'net, so a diagnosis can lead to faulty parts being priced on the spot both at local rates and overseas pricing. To do this you need a few USB ports; two being the bare minimum.

Absolutely agree with Addo on this. I'm running Lexia on a lappy with 1gb RAM and it works ok but could do with more. Also only have 1 USB port and have bought a USB hub as 1 port is definitely not enough.

Hi :):)
I have a MaxiDiag FR704 scanner. It's the one for French cars, so has all the French cars listed.

I use it to get rid of the phantom codes that my early C5 petrol generates now and again and some real ones also. It has the general code statements for the codes but still refers you to the "manufacturers" for quite a few. So much for the dedicated French model :rolleyes:

I have found it usefull but annoying as it's so limited. As for doing what the "genuine factory tools do', it dosen't.:disappr: It cannot(as far as I can work it) operate things or turn them on or off etc. So that is crap too.

I would recommend buying a Lexia probably even though I have not used one. Cheaper as well. :cool: Even including the cheap laptop.
:cheers:jaahn

Well noted and thanks, that's one off my list. :)

I've only one lonely C5hdi and don't have that many problems. I mostly know what the trouble is, until now of course. Still it's gotta be better than visiting the dealer. :)

You shouldn't experience any problem, other than having Vista. XP is more stable with these 3rd party programs.

A secondhand laptop, suited to the entire Lexia suite can be bought for $100, then the Lexia for another $100 or so.

Cheap diagnostics at your fingertips.

A few years ago the Lexia was available, but unaffordable for all but a chosen few.
Thanks to China; they're helping us access these once luxuries by making them affordable.

Thanks for info richo, Some China Lexia sites say it may not work with diesel engine, others make no mention of C5 Hdi only Citroen C4. Have you actually used a China lexia on a C5 if so did it work without problems?. :cheers:

I bought mine from a bloke who bought it and never used it, so unfortunately can't advise on the source. It was only a Chinese one, V45 maybe even V43, nothing written on the disc.
As the C5 is an early one, anything after V32 or so was fine.

I do and I do.

Thanks richo You've convinced me.

Already chasing up china link under $100, paid $220 for my original one. No luck so far with laptop though, all around $250+ I'll keep searching. But I do need it quick , the Cit transmission is almost undrivable. Ho Hum :cheers:

Furthermore I guess I'll no buy from those Lexia 3 sellers who state "he no work on Citroen C5 diesel or Peugeot 307" just to be safe, although the model number V47 is the same as the other sellers. :2cents:

It has been postulated that of the "Fauxia" offered to buyers, there exist two versions of the circuit board; one early and one later.

Further to this, one Irish bloke who's got a bit of experience says the later one can be reflashed to run DiagBox while earlier design boards cannot. The virtue of newer versions is simply that you know you have access to the most up-to-date info on firmware for each module/component.

The other difference between some offerings, is that downloads (sundry ECU software updates) are not possible with some. You can see the file list but not install any. I cannot isolate a pattern, version or seller in this comment.

Finally - no diagnostic software is a subsitute for mechanical experience. You can on occasion, spend as much time rooting about with a handful of known codes, as if you just worked from first principles. The benefit here, is you can nicely clear the faults log once done. :)

postscript: I don't think $400 all in for a bunch of knowledge and "power" is bad value.

Hmm.. Ever considered that maybe your car just has too many faults....:roflmao:

Jo

Apart from the chemtrail, it is largely fault free.

"Kim" OTOH, drinks like a fish (av. 19.6/100km) with no fault codes showing and fairly good sensor readings. A good example of when on screen diagnostics don't get you anywhere.