406 & 407 - a general discussion

Going for a nice little cruise today in the 407... Lilydale to Alexandra via the Black Spur and back through Yea.

Enjoying it very much!

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359259684152.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359259684152.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 249
Back home now. From Yea we went to Kinglake West, Kinglake, St Andrews and then Yarra Glen. So plenty of climbing involved. Check out this trip data! We filled up in Lilydale before we left.

Distance: 223 km
Average fuel consumption: 5.8 L/100 km
Average speed: 61 km/h

Fuel gauge has hardly moved!

My wife and I are very pleased with the car. Very pleasant to travel in, comfy seats, nice and quiet. It feels like it will go forever. Ride is taut, may not be as good as 406 but as far as we're concerned it's fine... aren't all late model cars like this anyway?

I find that the nature of the car encourages economical driving, but is quite responsive if you want to press on.

Downsides? Rear seat legroom is a bit tight, but we knew that; speedo markings make it a bit hard to see 60, 80 or 100, but I'm getting used to it; only one cupholder and not much storage. My wife and mother both say the 504 has better seats! Yay for the 504 :)

Consider me another contented 407 owner.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359271691551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359271691551.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359271712632.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359271712632.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 241
But the suburban limit is 50 (more streets have this limit than any other) so better for that and also for the 110 country freeways, and the plenty of 70km/h and 90 km/h zones.
Graham

That's true, but it's different to every other vehicle I drive so it takes some getting used to.

I quite like having the indicators on the left, one hand for blinkers and gearstick.

Back home now. From Yea we went to Kinglake West, Kinglake, St Andrews and then Yarra Glen. So plenty of climbing involved. Check out this trip data! We filled up in Lilydale before we left.

I find that the fuel consumption from the trip computer on my 406 HDi is pessimistic by 0.5-0.8 L/100 km, so the real figure obtained by measuring actual fuel used is always better than indicated. The fuel gauge also appears to be controlled by the trip computer rather than indicating the actual fuel tank level. For example, if I have been doing suburban running and then do a country trip, the fuel gauge moves upwards (!) to reflect the lower fuel consumption.

I realise that this comes too late now, but I'd like to vouch for the 307 with a car seat.

Our bub is coming up on six months, and the capsule (one of those that transfers straight from the car to the pram) fits quite easily on the left side with plenty of room for me in front.

Having said that I'm sure the 407 is a step up in comfort and hope you enjoy your new car! :)

My wife and I are very pleased with the car. Very pleasant to travel in, comfy seats, nice and quiet. It feels like it will go forever. Ride is taut, may not be as good as 406 but as far as we're concerned it's fine... aren't all late model cars like this anyway?

I find that the nature of the car encourages economical driving, but is quite responsive if you want to press on.

Downsides? Rear seat legroom is a bit tight, but we knew that; speedo markings make it a bit hard to see 60, 80 or 100, but I'm getting used to it; only one cupholder and not much storage. My wife and mother both say the 504 has better seats! Yay for the 504 :)

Consider me another contented 407 owner.

You didn't stop at Portland by any chance :confused: I parked next 6spd manual HDi 407 sedan there the same colour as Angs...... First time I've ever seen another on the road. We towed a loaded 9x5 box trailer down there, 38degrees in the shade, A/C set to 22degrees. Cruise control set to 103km/h ... and it cruised down in 6th gear effortlessly climbing most hills with no need for me to change down..... 8.1L/100kms..... previous tank .... 100% short trips around town. 7.1L/100km.

seeya,
Shane L.

I realise that this comes too late now, but I'd like to vouch for the 307 with a car seat.

Our bub is coming up on six months, and the capsule (one of those that transfers straight from the car to the pram) fits quite easily on the left side with plenty of room for me in front.

Having said that I'm sure the 407 is a step up in comfort and hope you enjoy your new car! :)

Try fitting a 2nd booster seat beside the baby capsule and see how you go :( ..... I have a crappy aussie seat in the back of the mighty CX ...... You know our baby .... gee's must be close to 6months old now ... he's never been in the CX yet. Bloody crappy seat where you have to lift him over those reverse facing straps. We have shoved an isofix seat into the 407. So simply take that everytime without fail if everyone goes out.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99098

See how simple the baby is to lift in with no seatbelts in the way. It's a pitty the crappy rear doors on the 407 are so tiny and low.... The XM at least had nice big doors to get babys in/out. The 407 makes it hard to get the baby in under without cracking there head.

seeya,
Shane L.

Sounds like you bought the wrong one to start with Shane :-D

The strap over the top on our slips off the top pretty easily once you loosen the tensioner.

But yes, I can see how Isofix is a much better system. If Mrs Eatpeople springs a surprise on me before this bub grows out of the capsule I might have to look in to it...

Try fitting a 2nd booster seat beside the baby capsule and see how you go :( ..... I have a crappy aussie seat in the back of the mighty CX ...... You know our baby .... gee's must be close to 6months old now ... he's never been in the CX yet. Bloody crappy seat where you have to lift him over those reverse facing straps. We have shoved an isofix seat into the 407. So simply take that everytime without fail if everyone goes out.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99098

See how simple the baby is to lift in with no seatbelts in the way. It's a pitty the crappy rear doors on the 407 are so tiny and low.... The XM at least had nice big doors to get babys in/out. The 407 makes it hard to get the baby in under without cracking there head.

seeya,
Shane L.

Well, we've just added a second 407 to the fleet. This one is a sedan, late 2006 SV V6 Hdi with just over 90,000k on the clock. 6 speed auto. Leather, JBL audio etc etc. Fastidious Peugeot dealer service record. Ex Qld country car. Genuinely drives like new. One owner. Bought from a Honda dealer who thought it was a 2 litre 4 cylinder on trade-in (thought this was what I was going to look at from the advert until I looked at the wheels & then opened the bonnet). Near brand new Michelins on the flash 18" rims . All for $12,500 on the road. The prices for these beautiful, superbly comfortable, deftly handling, powerful yet economical cars are absurd at present - leases/salary sacrifice ending, 60,000 & 100,000 km "sale times" approaching.

Gorgeous car. Tight as a bell.

Get 'em while you can, I reckon!

Last edited:
Well, we've just added a second 407 to the fleet. This one is a sedan, late 2006 SV V6 Hdi with just over 90,000k on the clock. 6 speed auto. Leather, JBL audio etc etc. Fastidious Peugeot dealer service record. Ex Qld country car. Genuinely drives like new. One owner. Bought from a Honda dealer who thought it was a 2 litre 4 cylinder on trade-in (thought this was what I was going to look at from the advert until I looked at the wheels & then opened the bonnet). Near brand new Michelins on the flash 18" rims . All for $12,500. The prices for these beautiful, superbly comfortable, cars are absurd at present - leases/salary sacrifice ending, 60,000 & 100,000 km "sale times" approaching.

Gorgeous car. Tight as a bell.

Get 'em while you can, I reckon!

Gee's that's cheap.... I was thinking "why not look at a C5 .... same car but doesn't ride like a dump truck...".... You want find one of them for that price though :eek: It would probably have to be a X7 (later shape) C5 to be bothered looking at it too. cheapest x7 I could find on carsales is double the money :eek: Yeah only a 2litre, but you really don't need the V6, the 2litre has plenty of poke :)

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:2007,Max&sort=~Price

seeya,
Shane L.

This one really doesn't ride like a dump truck either, Shane, I promise. I remember the same args about the "truck like" ride of the CX's ( I thought the args were way off beam at the time) compared to the DS's when they first arrived, but I'd have to say the very limited sample of 407's I've driven (two) just doesn't come across this way either.

Compared to any of the 505 SLi wagons, 306 XSi or 307 XSE that I have personal experience of the 407 seems to me to be a model of decorum when it comes to ride. Yes, in both cases they are upper market SV Hdi models, with electronic dampers etc. In reality they both seem better controlled than even my beautifully supple 406 after a bit of experience.

Never driven a C5. Perhaps they have it well sorted, too. Certainly not an issue for me with the 407 SV's though.

(Ps. No you don't really need the V6 diesel, but gee it pulls nicely when you do. Ah! Indulgence. ;-) )

Last edited:
This one really doesn't ride like a dump truck either, Shane, I promise. I remember the same args about the "truck like" ride of the CX's ( I thought the args were way off beam at the time) compared to the DS's when they first arrived, but I'd have to say the very limited sample of 407's I've driven (two) just doesn't come across this way either.

Compared to any of the 505 SLi wagons, 306 XSi or 307 XSE that I have personal experience of the 407 seems to me to be a model of decorum when it comes to ride. Yes, in both cases they are upper market SV Hdi models, with electronic dampers etc. In reality they both seem better controlled than even my beautifully supple 406 after a bit of experience.

Never driven a C5. Perhaps they have it well sorted, too. Certainly not an issue for me with the 407 SV's though.

(Ps. No you don't really need the V6 diesel, but gee it pulls nicely when you do. Ah! Indulgence. ;-) )

:roflmao: :roflmao: Certainly you'd get the V6 if you could. I would rule out looking at a petrol model, but not the 2litre diesel 'cos the motors a little ripper. The late C5's apparently have the proper Citroen ride (x7 series and above). If your ever in ballarat you welcome to try a 6spd manual without the electronic dampers. I'm wondering if the electronics don't make a huge difference to the ride quality, certainly the 407 is a huge leap from the 307 (but lets face it, just about any car is a leap ahead of the 307 where ride quality is concerned).

seeya,
Shane L.

(but lets face it, just about any car is a leap ahead of the 307 where ride quality is concerned).

Tried any 1967 to 2013 Corolla? Most Mazdas? Heaven forbid, a Nissan Tiida? (Yes. I know, that IS an ugly thought). Any Holden shorter than a 307? ;-)

Ballarat! When did you head there? Thought you were ACT? But hey, what a nice spot for a quick drive in a weekend before too long!

Looks like it was me who was confused in that case! Sorry Shane. Definitely catch up distance before too long.

We picked up "Zelda" today. Linda looked way too envious of Pierre (my 407 SV HDi estate) for comfort. All of Linda's cars have names - Veronica the Volvo 244, Isabella, the Seat Cordoba ( a great car, by the way) , Carmella, the Peug 306 XSi (Linda's fave before now), Rosa the 307 XSE, and now Zelda - 407 SV sedan.) Zelda really is gorgeous. Dolomite Bronze late 2006 407 SV Twin Turbo HDi 6 speed auto sedan. Looks stunning, drives stunning. 90,000 on the clock for an absurd $12,500.

Zelda is Carmella on steroids. Far better driving car than Rosa the 307 XSE was (much more like Carmella in this regard). Lots of oomph. Lots of class. Lots of comforts. Lots of style.

A good 407, especially the SV V6 HDi, really is one of the most underpriced cars on the Australian market at present. Very happy with this one.

Last edited:
Congrats. I still like mine, too. :)

That bronze is a classy colour. Better than the boring silver or grey or pale gold like mine. I like the red too.

A good 407, especially the SV V6 HDi, really is one of the most underpriced cars on the Australian market at present. Very happy with this one.

Now that I have covered 16000km in 3 years and the warranty is all but up, I have finally decided that my V6 HDi (with 3 less doors) is really a classy bit of gear and is the best Peugeot that I have owned (Although I may have to wait another 35 years to see if it really is better than my 504Ti).

I find it hard to believe that, except for a wheel alighnment under warranty, I have not had one thing go wrong with the coupe. :):)

It is a pity though that, it has probably dropped in value to about half of what I paid for it. :blackeye: