Jaeger DS Clock

Chris

is that the screw on the back with the head or the thread on the right with the nut on it?

Matthew

Matthew, the earth is quite obvious, it has the folded brass connecter. As per your description the one with the exposed thread - it is actually a double ended bolt with the lower thread going through into the clock frame mechanism. Removing it, and cleaning the contact surfaces might be all that's needed. I've found that if you use a female connecter it fits snuggly onto the exposed thread for a good earth contact.

I had another success getting a second clock going using the same technique, but alas it appears to have a stripped cog on the pendulum drive :(

Cheers
Chris

Matthew, the earth is quite obvious, it has the folded brass connecter. As per your description the one with the exposed thread - it is actually a double ended bolt with the lower thread going through into the clock frame mechanism. Removing it, and cleaning the contact surfaces might be all that's needed. I've found that if you use a female connecter it fits snuggly onto the exposed thread for a good earth contact.

I had another success getting a second clock going using the same technique, but alas it appears to have a stripped cog on the pendulum drive :(

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris

Ok, so its the one with the daggy bit of wire that hooks into the bent connector you mention. When I got the clock it tick tocked for about 3 minutes and then stopped so I still have hope for its resurection..:spanner:

I'm not a big time keeper fan actually..:yawn: only wear a watch at work because I have to! Very Easyrider! haha.. but seeing as it's for the DecidedlySpecial it would be nice if it was going. :)

Matthew

Clock wiring.
I've posted this previously, may have been lost.

2uz5f5v.jpg

The earth wire is neatly threaded through the small brass eye and held by the pressure of the wider leaf. The wire itself is coated in solder to protect the strands from damage.
Ahh, the minutae of it all.

Thanks Richo. I've been looking for a pic of the rear of the clock to better explain but hadn't had any success.. that's when I came across the pic of the DS Queen watch actually.. clear as mud now.

Anyway.. the warmth of Honolulu beckons.. better get off this bloody PC.!

Matthew:)

Yep, it was the French one I remember seeing, that is so cheap compared to what they can go for - and looks pretty, even if it doesn't work. I've gone off the American clocks, I have two here and whilst they work, on both the time adjustment knob has disintegrated in my hand.

Cheers
Chris

You were right Chris! The knob is sun damaged, but the US clock keeps perfect time even if it is not "correct". It replaces a bright red LED digital that was fitted when I got the car... hence the larger hole hacked in the dash :(

I have a replacement dash panel which needs completely repainting some day before fitting.

Attachments

• US Clock.jpg
    US Clock.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,704

Attachments

• Jaeger_Clocks.jpg
    Jaeger_Clocks.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,223
Ooh lookie here :eek:

A clutch, a brace +1, pride, murder, crash, herd, drove, cackle, a gaggle...? Of Jaeger clocks.
Cheers
Chris

a person who collects clocks is a Horophile.... a horror of clocks ?

Matthew :)

You were right Chris! The knob is sun damaged, but the US clock keeps perfect time even if it is not "correct". It replaces a bright red LED digital that was fitted when I got the car... hence the larger hole hacked in the dash :(

I have a replacement dash panel which needs completely repainting some day before fitting.

Actually, that clock isn't US market DS, but rather Jaguar XJS. They're also found in some XJ6s. Compare your clock face and font type with the one ad that Chris posted. Even so, they fill the hole almost exactly and they look good. Our D clocks were the same as everyone elses.

I've thought about buying a few as replacements, but most normally by the time I see them they've been destroyed by some skidmark who actually has no idea what they're after in that car. :mad:

Bwahahahahah.

I resemble that evil image.

BTW, Matthew, forgot to mention, last Thursday afternoon, I milled up a holder for the Jaeger clocks with the steel case surround bezels.
Friday morning drove to town to give to watchmaker for your very special Jaeger. Just when you thought I might've forgotten.

He now has a few of my own and is willing to work on them, for less. I also gave him a box of genuine Incabloc parts, which can make a watchmaker quite happy.

I took photos of the milling process on my Hercus 260 lathe with milling head attached and EN25 collet chuck in the Pratt Bernerd 3 Jaw. It's a rare combination in itself.

Last edited:
Hi cactus,
I live in Perth and will definitely visit this guy, as I have a Jaeger clock which doesn't work.

Hi cactus,
I live in Perth and will definitely visit this guy, as I have a Jaeger clock which doesn't work.

If you have several, take them all. According to him, they break their balance shafts (very thin in one place) and he can make a working clock from several if need be.

Go before mid-day! Give George my regards too. Lovely man and very experienced. Does other instruments too.

Hi JohnW,
Tried your mate George at repairing one of the Jaegers, nearly choked when he said, sure he could probably make it work, provided nothing was broken..........
for $350.

I suggested he keep one of the clocks I sent over to pay for the postage cost of having one returned.
At $350 I believe there may be affordable alternatives. Watch this space.

Hi JohnW,
Tried your mate George at repairing one of the Jaegers, nearly choked when he said, sure he could probably make it work, provided nothing was broken..........
for $350.

I suggested he keep one of the clocks I sent over to pay for the postage cost of having one returned.
At $350 I believe there may be affordable alternatives. Watch this space.

Ah. Hmm. I'll watch. $/hr of course.

Cheers

John

Ah. Hmm. I'll watch. $/hr of course.

Cheers

John

Ahhhh, yes, well. I sent my clock to said George for a quote on repair... I didn't receive a quote... just a bill for $350... :deal: :crazy: and a lesson learnt. When the "6 million dollar clock" as I have dubbed it stopped working I sent it back... it was returned without communication but is working fine now. I did ask via email what was wrong with it but never received an answer. FYI.

Matthew :mallet:

Ahhhh, yes, well. I sent my clock to said George for a quote on repair... I didn't receive a quote... just a bill for $350... :deal: :crazy: and a lesson learnt. When the "6 million dollar clock" as I have dubbed it stopped working I sent it back... it was returned without communication but is working fine now. I did ask via email what was wrong with it but never received an answer. FYI.

Matthew :mallet:

Ah, again! Easy for me to drop in for a chat, as George's shop is between home and work, which form of communication works well in my experience.

That'd be 3 1/2 hours' work for many mechanics in Perth and about what you'd pay a watchmaker for a full service on a good mechanical watch. It does come as a surprise when you can buy them tired but working for $25 sometimes.

Is there a moral to this story/thread? Wear a wrist watch, or use your smartphone perhaps??

Maybe as its a upmarket "DS" clock its going to work sometimes and cost a lot to fix and keep it working when it decides (for no apparent reason) to stop working.

Give me a DSpecial anyday - no clock no problem.

Is there a moral to this story/thread? Wear a wrist watch, or use your smartphone perhaps??

Maybe as its a upmarket "DS" clock its going to work sometimes and cost a lot to fix and keep it working when it decides (for no apparent reason) to stop working.

Give me a DSpecial anyday - no clock no problem.

Going further along your line of thought, most car stereos anymore have a clock. And an inexpensive surface mount clock of some sort is just that. :cool:

There really isn't a reason a Jaeger clock can't be converted to a quartz movement. Cheaper, more reliable, virtually undetectable if done well, and let's face it, a D is noisy enough that the "tick-tick-tick" from a mechanical clock would need to be loud enough to compete with the bells at Notre Dame to be noticed. :wink2:

Clock Revival

Then a bunch of clocks was assembled, a couple of the slopey dash chrome bezel Jaegers with the dial bearing numbers 1-12, a couple of the later DS type from 1970 on and a couple of others of unknown origin, but Jaeger and the size the same. Perhaps from Peugeot/Renault? They were all the transistor model, rather than quartz.

The plastic bodies clocks with full plastic mechanism weren't successful.
Two slopey dash clocks did come to life after dis-assembly and servicing.

My job was to replace the bezels and push them flt again. Total cost was $90, generous on the part of the watchmaker. He proclaimed the earlier Jaeger mechanisms to be quite sound and once serviced should last well and the later DS type to "plastic crap". Think he might be showing a little bias. :)

I can't recall the price paid for the clocks I had collected, between $10-$40 each.

Bottom line for me is knowing, from past experience that isopropyl alcohol can work, then an application ( the merest globule) of a fine clock oil and it might well go again.
Not the ideal method or best practice because it isn't removing the gunk from the jewels so the pivots are still grinding away, but it works. Sometimes.

cheers
richo

Attachments

• jaeger clock bezel support die 001_1024x768.jpg
    jaeger clock bezel support die 001_1024x768.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 666
  • jaeger clock bezel support die 002_1024x768.jpg
    jaeger clock bezel support die 002_1024x768.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 545
  • jaeger clock bezel support die 003_1024x768.jpg
    jaeger clock bezel support die 003_1024x768.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
This is the best available information on repairing DS Jaeger clocks.

http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson/red-cd/Electrical/Jaeger clock repair.pdf

That site

http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson

(belonging to Ben Mack, maintained by Tony Jackson, based on an international effort begun by our own Double Chevron and contributed to by several of us) is the best source of published DS information around. It is now being ported to an easier-to-remember address.

http://www.classic-citroen-tech.co.uk/home-cct.htm

Roger

So I know this is an old thread, and I only came to it when looking for a fix for a P504 clock (still French, and sleeps happily with the Cits); but does anybody know how to access these links. I get 2 Forbiddens and a Not Found!