xu5m engine rebuild

Peter, one of the main reasons I'm doing the rebuild is to end up with an engine that can rev up high but can do highways and road trips. There is so much distance between everything in North America I thought the one Callum sent would work out well with that.

I finished work early today so went to my garage and tried pulling the bottom end apart. The middle cap that holds the crank doesnt want to come off. are there any tricks to getting this off? also the flywheel side cap doesn't want to come off either but that might be from the crank seal sticking. other than that everything has come apart really easily.

Some photo's have been added to the album showing wear on the bearings and crank. From my inexperienced eye the crank looks fine I have no idea.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/by9Fg8x6e5nTJmQV7

Can someone let me know what the deal with this sump is please? It's steel and there is a sump spacer. I'll probably use my sump that's in the car because it's not bashed in like this and the car still has AC.
That is a steel sump I supplied Cal so he could use the sump guard that came with the car. I'd like it back if you aren't going to use it. It is off a 1.9 UK GTi, hence the spacer. Being that motor it should also have multi angle seats on the head, done by Adrian.

That is a steel sump I supplied Cal so he could use the sump guard that came with the car. I'd like it back if you aren't going to use it. It is off a 1.9 UK GTi, hence the spacer. Being that motor it should also have multi angle seats on the head, done by Adrian.

You want the sump shipped from Canada to Aus?

Awesome to hear that it has multi angle seats already. I was going to get that done. Do you know if the head has had a skim and when the work was done on this engine? Would Adrian remember this engine I asked him?

Bolts #9 in the pic.

The sump spacer is also a stiffening plate. The combination of that plus alloy AC sump is correct for the oil pickup depth.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 2.29.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 2.29.35 pm.png
    404.1 KB · Views: 145
You want the sump shipped from Canada to Aus?

Awesome to hear that it has multi angle seats already. I was going to get that done. Do you know if the head has had a skim and when the work was done on this engine? Would Adrian remember this engine I asked him?
I would probably pay up to $100 or so for freight? You could try, Adrian forgot the owners name now but he ran it is sprints in Sydney. A guy called Langers had it after him.

Bolts #9 in the pic.

The sump spacer is also a stiffening plate. The combination of that plus alloy AC sump is correct for the oil pickup depth.
That is if you have a 1.9 sump. Api has the 1.6 Si sump which is deeper as it has no stiffener.

That is if you have a 1.9 sump. Api has the 1.6 Si sump which is deeper as it has no stiffener.

sorry but I'm getting confused. The engine I just pulled apart has the 1.9 steel sump and spacer and that's a different height from my standard si alloy sump? why does this engine have a 1.9 sump bolted to it and why was someone racing with an si engine?

No idea what you have or why it was there. Just make sure you match the sump to the stiffener plate correctly. Post a pic of your AC sump.

As I said the steel sump was so Cal could use the sump guard, didn't clear the square shaped alloy one. Steel with spacer will be the same height as the normal Si sump which doesn't use a spacer. The guy raced the Si in the 1600 cc class, did very well with it.

I would probably pay up to $100 or so for freight? You could try, Adrian forgot the owners name now but he ran it is sprints in Sydney. A guy called Langers had it after him.

I believe it was a guy named Moosey that owned the car before Langers as i looked at buying it way back when.

That sounds right. I got it from Cam then passed it onto Cal. Meantime I ran it in a VCAS Autocross round with good results, also did very well in a Bagshot Rallysprint.

Dropped my crank and head off to get measured and checked out before I buy parts.

Before I took the head to the shop the machinist said to put some solvent into the head to see if any of the valves leak. two of them did. This is the first peugeot engine he has worked on so what things do I need to make sure he does?

How do I know if the head has been skimmed before? I want a higher CR but I'm not sure if it has been skimmed in the past. Is there a measurement on how thick the head should be?

Also I have some bike throttles for the car. I haven't decided which ecu to go with so what would people here recommend? Megasquirt seems like a good option.

does the Si have the same fuel pump as the Gti or is it smaller? Wondering if that needs upgraded

Si pump is different. Measure the head, I can compare with two I have here. It will probably need valve guides and certainly valve stem seals. You need shims to set the valve clearances, these are available from a company here in Melbourne. The other way is to "tip" the valves to suit.

From the Haynes manual. Your head needs to have 3 angle seats cut and blended into the throat. Buy an ECU which has good local support and your dyno operator is familiar with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 4.27.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 4.27.38 pm.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 135
Megasquirt is great if you have electronics knowledge. I recently replaced a faulty zener diode in mine, schematics and full info on line, not usually doable for commercial brands? My tuner is very happy with MS3 and Tuner Studio, has issues with MS2 and Megatune on which I agree.

From the Haynes manual. Your head needs to have 3 angle seats cut and blended into the throat. Buy an ECU which has good local support and your dyno operator is familiar with.

Perfect. I'll let the machine shop know this. are there specific angles that need cut? I have been trying to look through old posts to find out but not getting a definitive answer. This is the first three angle seat info I've found.

Thanks for the help so far. learning a lot and looking forward to putting the engine back together and gaining some new skills

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.57.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.57.50 PM.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 135
Si pump is different. Measure the head, I can compare with two I have here. It will probably need valve guides and certainly valve stem seals. You need shims to set the valve clearances, these are available from a company here in Melbourne. The other way is to "tip" the valves to suit.

will the si pump flow enough to keep up with multipoint injection? does the gti or other models pump fit straight in?

I have no idea whether the Si pump will work. You can change the pump easily, probably have to modify the electrical connections depending on year model.

Perfect. I'll let the machine shop know this. are there specific angles that need cut? I have been trying to look through old posts to find out but not getting a definitive answer. This is the first three angle seat info I've found.

Just let them to their best. Thin seats make power, wide seats are reliable. Peugeot seats are wide and reliable. You have to compromise.