Xsara???

da_prancin_schu said:
If you are looking for a good VTS, how about new. They can be picked up for $26K Drive away now... unbelievable value for a new car! I'm considering it now.....

Thats for sure! I had a long test drive in the C4 saloon 2lt auto and I have to say that I was terribly dissappointed with its build quality. :cry: . As mentioned in other threads the plastic assembly surrounding the gear shifter can only be described as shocking. Parts so loose and ill-fitting you think they were added on from another model. I've seen better quality in asian makes. :nownow: The paint job on this particular car was full of "peal" and many different rattles could be heard over changing surfaces. :eek: In all, very sad.
However, once back in my Xsara VTS, the immeadiate impression of quality and build was so noticable why would you spend $40K on C4 when for $26K you can score a well screwed-together Xsara VTS :tongue:

Cheers Pete

I agree, finally someone who agrees with me that the build quality is shocking.. (And i own one!)

As i have said over and over again, the assembly around the gear lever is shocking... you just softly touch it and it all moves out of position, i'm also starting to hear rattles and yes, i've noticed poor paint on the rear.

Guess what! It looks like the chevron badge which is stuck to the front of the bonnet is also pealing off! I read an article how they used "special" glue, which could stand heat... yeah right.

The outer part of the a-pillar is also quite loose. How hard is it for Citroen to stick things in properly so they're not loose?

Xsara VTS/ Pete said:
Thats for sure! I had a long test drive in the C4 saloon 2lt auto and I have to say that I was terribly dissappointed with its build quality. :cry: . As mentioned in other threads the plastic assembly surrounding the gear shifter can only be described as shocking. Parts so loose and ill-fitting you think they were added on from another model. I've seen better quality in asian makes. :nownow: The paint job on this particular car was full of "peal" and many different rattles could be heard over changing surfaces. :eek: In all, very sad.
However, once back in my Xsara VTS, the immeadiate impression of quality and build was so noticable why would you spend $40K on C4 when for $26K you can score a well screwed-together Xsara VTS :tongue:

Cheers Pete

This is beginning to sound like the 307 all over again. You'd think that they learn from that experience. :doh:

Troy.

Mated to a four-speed automatic the shift quality is good, but not seamless. Accelerating from low speed the transmission sometimes feels caught out, changing into gear with a noticeable hiccup.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/citreon_c4_di.asp

Finally a review that mentions the transmission. I had a technician (not citroen) take my C4 for a test drive and he basically said that the gear box tries too hard to make a smooth change when not required, which causes the hiccup feel. (or something along those lines, can't remember exactly what he said)

I'm hoping they'll be a software update for the transmission :approve:

Uga Boga said:
http://www.mynrma.com.au/citreon_c4_di.asp

Finally a review that mentions the transmission. I had a technician (not citroen) take my C4 for a test drive and he basically said that the gear box tries too hard to make a smooth change when not required, which causes the hiccup feel. (or something along those lines, can't remember exactly what he said)

I'm hoping they'll be a software update for the transmission :approve:

They sure need to improve that auto box! After test driving the C4 , I test drove a new Suzuki Swift S Auto 1.5. I dont want to defame Citroen but the swifts auto ran circles around C4 with smoother changes and more responsive with kick-down on the throttle. $20k better built, better trans vrs $40k poor build and jerky trans. I think Citroen got their pricing wrong and should drop the price on all C4 models by $5K, as there are too many better buys , for far less money. PS: I am a great fan of Citroen and it saddens me to post this. It was my intention to purchase a C4. I feel a bit "lost" and dissappointed :( The Swift is for the Mrs

Cheers Pete

$26k drive away is simply amazing!

The Xsara VTS is an awesome car.
It does, however, seem to be very sensitive to it's petrol. One day it'll feel like a slug then the next it'll rocket past (almost)anything I pull up next to. This is a bit of a pain, but it handles like a car on rails.

If only I had the money to snap up one of those brand new ones for $26k!

What's this about a problem with the catalytic converter? I often seem to get a noisy rattle from my exhaust, however Lance Dixon didn't find anything while they snooped around under it.
- DJ

DJ-Studd said:
What's this about a problem with the catalytic converter? I often seem to get a noisy rattle from my exhaust, however Lance Dixon didn't find anything while they snooped around under it.

Don't know about any problems with the cat, but I do get rattle noise from my exhaust on take off some times. This noise started after they fixed a creaking noise cause by the handbrake cable coming into contact with the heat shielding. I always have some issue with creaking rattling noises coming from the either the exhaust or heat shielding. They fix one noise and it start's another.

Troy.

Xsara VTS/ Pete said:
They sure need to improve that auto box! After test driving the C4 , I test drove a new Suzuki Swift S Auto 1.5. I dont want to defame Citroen but the swifts auto ran circles around C4 with smoother changes and more responsive with kick-down on the throttle. $20k better built, better trans vrs $40k poor build and jerky trans. I think Citroen got their pricing wrong and should drop the price on all C4 models by $5K, as there are too many better buys , for far less money. PS: I am a great fan of Citroen and it saddens me to post this. It was my intention to purchase a C4. I feel a bit "lost" and dissappointed :( The Swift is for the Mrs

Cheers Pete

Exactly, i do feel a tad bit ripped off... i mean 43k (OTR), whilst i could've got a golf with a MUCH BETTER gear box.

:2cents: Had the opportunity to drive a C4 2.0 Auto yesterday and found the box pretty good really. Spent a couple of hours in the car and all changes were smooth as, except for the 4th to 3rd downchange - very slight clunk under load, but you could certainly live with it! One thing is for sure, the car turns some heads on the road... :approve:

moosey said:
:2cents: Had the opportunity to drive a C4 2.0 Auto yesterday and found the box pretty good really. Spent a couple of hours in the car and all changes were smooth as, except for the 4th to 3rd downchange - very slight clunk under load, but you could certainly live with it! One thing is for sure, the car turns some heads on the road... :approve:

The thing is, i didn't notice it when i first picked up the car from the dealer on the drive home. I was taken by all the eye candy and features, however, once i was more accustomed to the new settings, the rough gearbox really started to kick in. I also noticed the poor build quality on the interior and even exterior (in some places).

Uga Boga said:
The thing is, i didn't notice it when i first picked up the car from the dealer on the drive home... once i was more accustomed to the new settings, the rough gearbox really started to kick in. I also noticed the poor build quality on the interior and even exterior (in some places).
I've been following your comments on the forum, so I was certainly listening out for anything "not right" with the box - all seemed fairly OK by my observations. :cool:

Pugjet - yes it can worry me about buying a recently superseded car, BUT, when the price is that keen, you have to compare features, performance, quality and the rest for $ to $. The VTS works out the same as a Corolla by the time you get it on the road pretty much. I think I'd rather the VTS, despite the relatively tame looks!

I'd be curious to know if the C4 handles better than the Xsara and simply curious in general- to see if Citroën have improved as much as they've replaced.

Yes, gears from time to time can be sticky- especially 1st and R, but a little oil and the clutch cable behaves itself accordingly.

The Xsara is a great car to go from point A to point B in, without prayer.