Xsara???

nomad

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone.

I've always had peugeots and loved them. Currently im looking for a new car, either Pug 306 XSi or S16. However a friend told me I should look at xsara's.

The more I read about them the more I like them, especially the price. They're a bit nicer inside then the 306, the outside is growing on me slowly.

Was just wondering what the different performance figures are between the VTR and VTS. Also i noted one for sale on AF, '99 2.0 16v, is this the same engine in the 306 Xsi?

Any info would be great
Thanks
Damon

nomad said:
Hi everyone.

I've always had peugeots and loved them. Currently im looking for a new car, either Pug 306 XSi or S16. However a friend told me I should look at xsara's.

The more I read about them the more I like them, especially the price. They're a bit nicer inside then the 306, the outside is growing on me slowly.

Was just wondering what the different performance figures are between the VTR and VTS. Also i noted one for sale on AF, '99 2.0 16v, is this the same engine in the 306 Xsi?

Any info would be great
Thanks
Damon

The 99 Xsara 2L 16V is the same engine as the N5 306 XSi (the 16V version).

On paper the power and performance figures of the VTR and VTS are :

ENGINE CAPACITY:

VTR : 1587cc
VTS : 1997cc

POWER/TORQUE :

VTR : 83 kW / 150 Nm
VTS : 124 kW / 196 Nm

ACCELERATION (0-100 km/h):

VTR : 10.9s
VTS : 8.7s

TOP SPEED (km/h)

VTR : 196 km/h
VTS : 220 km/h

The two are chalk and cheese performance wise. Apart from the quoted figures the VTS has far stronger mid range performance. In gear acceleration in higher gears or under load, the VTR can struggle somewhat, whereas the VTS doesn't have such problems. Not only that, but the VTS engine sounds awesome when you wind it up :). It's a gem of an engine. Just ask any VTS or 306GTi6 owner.

Apart from the performance differences, the VTS is better equipped with extra features like rain sensing wipers, automatic lights, trip computer, leather steering wheel, fronts seats with extra lateral and thigh support and lumbar adjustment (they are very comfy seats), side airbags, ABS, alloy wheels.

After owning a VTR and now currently owning a VTS, to me the choice would be simple, go for the VTS.

Troy.

UFO said:
The letters VTS are so emblazoned on Mrs UFO's memory now that she keeps uttering them lately, usually preceeded by a C and a 4.:rolleyes:

What??? P P and soon P and... and..... VTS C and 4 LOL ROFL WTF!!! :roflmao:

Cheers
Chris

GreenBlood said:
What??? P P and soon P and... and..... VTS C and 4 LOL ROFL WTF!!! :roflmao:

Cheers
Chris

I forgot to add that I usually look at her and just roll my eyes. She knows...

BTW, this time in 5 months...

Thanks for the replys guys. What is the difference between the Sportif and VTR?

nomad said:
Thanks for the replys guys. What is the difference between the Sportif and VTR?

The Sportif was limited edition model with (suprise suprise) Sportif badging and alloy wheels as standard. I think they also offered ABS as standard (this was usually an option on the VTR).

Troy.

Im just wondering if the complaints keep rolling on in relation to the New C4 the Xsara might be a more cheaper attractive option...:2cents:

I Love my Xsara VTS

I may have seen the thread on the Catalitic converter fault. Now that this is all fixed I love this car.

This morning my wife drove our daughter to school in it and her first words coming through the front door were " Thats a fun car".

Says it all really.

In my search for a VTS I couldn't find one in Melbourne. So I took a VTR for a test drive and thought if this is how the 1.6 goes the 2lt would be perfect, this also gave me a chance to check out the interior and space.

I then proceeded to buy a car from Sydney without the chance to drive one.

I would recommend a VTS to anyone but try and get one with some Factory warranty left. I am very thankful for my warranty.

I think there is a 7k km one still for sale in Sydney. Have a look at Carpoint.

Cheers

Matt

You can get a newer, Xsara that offers better value than the 306Xsi or S16. I'm not sure how much you have to play with, but since you didn't mention the 306GTi6 I'm guessing under $20K.

I pretty much gave up looking for a Xsara VTS after someone from Shepparton came to Sydney and snapped it up before me. Thanks mattg! ;)

Fortunately, last Saturday when I was about to purchase a C4 VTR, I was informed there were still a few Xsara VTS's available new. I got the last Rouge Lucifer at $25990 drive away. I get it late next week, can't wait!

If you have the money, definately go for the Xsara VTS.

One last thing, I know everyone's said it before, but those guys at Continental Citroen really are the best. Thanks again!

OG

OG15 said:
I pretty much gave up looking for a Xsara VTS after someone from Shepparton came to Sydney and snapped it up before me. Thanks mattg! ;)

Public apology OG15

looks like you got the better deal.

cheers

Matt

Xsara

I owned a 2000cc manual Xsara for 3.5yrs and recommend them.
I found the gearing different to my 406 in that it will pull 150kph in third gear. Quite a quick car. A friend of mine who had a XSI 306 commented on the gearing being diferent to his.

Problems are relativly minor in that clutch cable will get stiff with age. (Replace cable). Genuien Peugeot discs will warp on front and judder. Replace with after market my recomendation.

This model has around 100kw and rides very well. In fact a three and half hr trip wife ank kids read books whole way with out any car sickness. Never had that feature before.

I traded it last June and it is still for sale at Allpike Peugeot!!!!

67,000 kms and $14,990 ($30,000 new). Well looked after car (one owner) for someone at a good price for condition and equipment. (Now less than what the trade in was)

Graelin

mattg said:
OG15 said:

Public apology OG15

looks like you got the better deal.

cheers

Matt

Much appreciated Matt, but there's no need to apologise, we both end up with a beautiful Rouge Lucifer VTS in the end. :cheers:

OG

How about the 2.0 li (103kw) auto 5 door hatch? Anybody have stories about them? I'm starting to get bored with my 1.6 auto but don't want a VTS. I need the passenger doors.

Juan I have heard that they are ok cars. Just the black dashboard i find a bit boring. But very good car for 4 adults. :headbang:

Juan M. said:
How about the 2.0 li (103kw) auto 5 door hatch? Anybody have stories about them? I'm starting to get bored with my 1.6 auto but don't want a VTS. I need the passenger doors.

From what I have seen the 2L Auto is the same trim level as the 1.6 with mostly the same features. The only difference I saw was that the 2L has ESP whereas the rest of the Xsara range doesn't.

Troy.

If you are looking for a good VTS, how about new. They can be picked up for $26K Drive away now... unbelievable value for a new car! I'm considering it now.....

da_prancin_schu said:
If you are looking for a good VTS, how about new. They can be picked up for $26K Drive away now... unbelievable value for a new car! I'm considering it now.....

I though so too, that's why I bought one last weekend - I should have it by the end of the week, damn this is gonna be a loooonnnnnnggggg week! (Last week was bad enough).

Like I said above, I got the last red one. At the time there were 3 black, 1 silver, 1 white, 1 Icelandic Blue... and 1 other - can't remember.

Buy the VTS(preferably my one)

I'm currently trying to sell my VTS. It's on carsales.com. I want to keep it forever and ever, unfortunately I can't keep three cars on the road. My wife has the Xsara 2.0 auto and i've just committed to a 1960 ID. The price is negotiable and you won't regret it. It's been serviced by Rick Damelian, and has just over 40,000 on the clock. The VTS is a dynamite unit with one of the great modern engines and one day when i'm overcome by nostalgia i'll get another. :cheers:

p.s. I know the ID thing is a sign of complete madness but trust me on the VTS

Last edited:
da_prancin_schu said:

obviously purchasing a new already superseded model, is not a worry then ey?

gees, thats a pretty keen price and a great package already. if it had a bit more visual flare i think it may have done better on the sales sheet.

my dads mates always refer to his xsara as the french proton persona!lolz