XN1 that sounds like a Hoover...

Nick,

Check this out as a reference to Engine oils. If you scratch around there may be something re transmissions. Scroll down & check out the bit on "The Bear Trap" which is something I think all older type cars could benefit from (if they ever get to Australia)
I use Mobil One in the engine of my 16V but I don't even let it go to 10,000 klms. I try to judge it on smell, colour & texture & if in doubt, out she goes. Last lot lasted for just on 8000 klms. The fairy stories about molecular chains and so forth sound good in theory, but no account is ever taken of the effect all the metal particles swimming around in the engine has. whip

<a href="http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html" target="_blank">http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html</a>

Alan S

Good point Alan. That's what I do - just observe the oil and as soon as it loses its clarity and sometimes viscosity, drop it and renew.

Nick, you can sort of check the alternator bearings by using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope. Place the tip on the alternator casing, and put the handle on your ear, pressing the ear closed with it. Make sure you don't get clothing or hair caught in any moving parts. You'll hear a duff bearing quite readily. Note they do have a slightly raspy sound when good, but a dodgy one should reproduce the sound you're hearing only much louder, if that's what's wrong. Try it on both ends of the casing.

Stuey

it's not so much the oil going off in a car that makes it the need to change the oil but all the contaminants in the oil
also the additives in the oil go off not so much the oil
oil will last a lot longer in an engine if running a franz type filter (much like a toilet roll)
a lot of trucks run these types of filters as do taxis
if your oil in your car is getting darker in colour it is time to change and generally the older the engine the quicker the oil will change colour
also you will have more oil consumption once the oil starts to darken as well
if your oil is keeping it's colour there is no harm in doing 10 000km changes
if it is going dark earlier than this and is using oil then change it earlier
you will find that a worn engine that is using a little oil won't use anywher enear as much if you short change the oil at shorter intervals
also helps if you use good filters and not those el cheapo itmes that only strain out house bricks

Hey there,

This is possibly too obvious- but my 504 had the fan wired to go permanently and sounded like a vacumn cleaner on heat!! when you were caning it anyway...

Is your fan setup to run permanently or an electric one with a switch? If it's permanent it could definitely be the problem.

Cheers Ben

Yes, all these Pugs have always-on Heater/Ventilation fans, and mine does make a horrible sqeaking noise on occasion, but it is definately not this.

As I've said, the noise gets louder and higher in pitch when changing gears, sounding a little like a blow off valve on a turbo car.

Con, it's not a measurement, it's an observation by looking at how thin it is on the dipstick. Compare new oil which clings, to older oil which runs off easily. Obvious, really...

Stuey...

nJm:
Yes, all these Pugs have always-on Heater/Ventilation fans, and mine does make a horrible sqeaking noise on occasion, but it is definately not this.

As I've said, the noise gets louder and higher in pitch when changing gears, sounding a little like a blow off valve on a turbo car.
...He was talking about the engine cooling fan. They are a thermostatically controlled fan, and Nicks works fine.

Well I'm almost certain its my alternator. Tried the screwdriver - as - stethoscope and it worked well (put it against the carby and it sounds like a diesel. Cool!)

So thanks guys, I guess I'll just put up with it until something else happens :D

<small>[ 11 August 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>