XN1 that sounds like a Hoover...

nJm

Guru
1000+ Posts
After hearing some other 505 GRs around I've decided that my car definately whistles a lot more - to the point it sounds like either a turbo car or a hoover. I managed to record it tonight, although it sounds a lot softer than it does in reality - the noise is very noticable (it sounds gentle in this recording)

here it is:
<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/njms_area/engine2.wav" target="_blank">http://users.bigpond.net.au/njms_area/engine2.wav</a>

I hope one of you might know what it could be to sound like that? Nothing was picked up on at its last service, and its always maked this noise since I bought it. One thing, it definately gets louder while you change gears, almost like a fake blow off valve clown

I have not had any contact with an XN1 engine but could it be the air intake as it "sucks" air into it and through the filter?? :confused:

Isn't that half the point of a pod filter, the induction noise?? :D

just the first thing that came into my head, when I listened to the .wav

Jono clown

Where is the noise coming from?? I've heard gearboxes which have had similar noise's.

<small>[ 01 August 2002, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: crosspug ]</small>

It appears to be coming from the right hand side of the engine bay - i think. Its really hard to place.

I'll check the filter again to see if there are any leaks or to see how tightly its connected to the carb.

nJm:
It appears to be coming from the right hand side of the engine bay - i think. Its really hard to place.

I'll check the filter again to see if there are any leaks or to see how tightly its connected to the carb.
Sounds like possibly alternator or water pump bearings to me. If this is the case, within a few months, the noise should be slightly louder, and its origin will be more obvious. Often this is the only way to locate such noises without driving yourself uneccessarily mad.

The noise is definitely not anything to be worried about yet. Just wait and see if it gets louder. Slight exhaust manifold leaks are another possibility, but if this is the case it must be small, since larger leaks will make the engine sound like a VW rather that hissing.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

My mum thinks the car sounds like a 1970s VW Beetle they had, so maybe an exaughst leak is possible? Will see how it goes over time.

cheers.

Nick

The whisling noise could just be coming from your fan belt, try spraying the belt with CRC while the engine's running, (be carefull of moving parts). Give it a rev and see if the noise changes, the CRC wont hurt the belt. An even better test is to remove the belt but this is'nt quite so easy. Dayco topcog belts can make some strange noises.

I tried it, wasn't the fan belt. On closer inspection I'd say its the alternator, as its coming from around there - not the other side where the exaughst manifold is (so that should rule out a leak from there).

I suppose its still possible is the gearbox, its just really hard to localise it. It definately gets louder and changes pitch when changing gears. When you are changing gears (so clutch in), there isn't any load on the alternator is there? That would explain it I suppose. :rolleyes:

Huh?
Nick, The alternator is mounted on the fron t of the engine and drives directly off the crankshaft front pulley through the fan belt, how does the clutch have anything to do with it.
Sounds like it's the clutch throwout bearing to me.
Didn't hear anything on the audio file except engine and exhaust noise.

Graham Wallis

Nick,

I got no sound on my computer but going on the varying descriptions could I make a couple of suggestions.
Do 505s have a cambelt? If so check that it's not been overtightened.
Secondly; if as you say the noise changes with things associated with clutch & gears, could I suggest you check the oil level in the gearbox? Might sound like a weird suggestion but I'm basing this on 3 cars we've bought in the last 12 months plus one we bought just prior to that.
#1 - Mitsubishi Lancer...about 500 ml of oil
#2 - BX TRi...... about 500 ml of oil
#3 - BX 16 valve...about 300 ml of oil
#4 - CX C-matic....suspect transmission fluid never been changed since 1979

Each one was "professionally" serviced; each either didn't change properly, was making weird noises or was a dirty colour and consistency when changed. From memory, you haven't owned this car all that long. Have you done a transmission oil change since you've owned it (I mean YOU, not the local servo)

Alan S

I haven't even looked at the gearbox oil and looking at the service history, neither has the mechanic.

I've actually been thinking about putting Mobile1 in it, as according to some on this board that should help the gear action (I have a bit of a worn syncro on 1st -> 2nd).

I'll investigate this, as there is no harm in replacing the oil :D

Graham: Don't mind my vague ramblings blush I do have a feeling it could be the alternator, as last week when my car was left sitting in the driveway for only 2 days it got a flat battery, and its battery is only 7 months old.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,

I'd be a bit "iffy" about putting Mobil 1 in a car 20 years old unless of course the engine is either very low K's or in very sound condition. I would reckon I may go as far as semi-synthetic which has a slightly higher lower end weighting.
I use it in my 16 valve due to the low mileage and the fact that multi valve engines have to get a lot of oil into a lot of nooks and crannies pretty quickly. The engine oil shouldn't have a bearing on gear changes unless they share a common sump as with the old BX 14 series.
As a result of experiences with others particularly on this board, I've made it a habit of adding Nulon gearbox treatment to my gearboxes when I have given them a change with huge improvements. I don't like them (on the best advice) in engines but they work a treat in the transmission. May be worth a try as it has sorted a couple of ours with clicky synchros.
BTW, the figures I quoted in the previous posting as regards volume of oil in each transmission was when I drained them; in each case they took as per recommended, about 2 litres to refill which will give you some idea of how low they were.
By the sounds of the battery going dead in two days, I would be inclined to get the battery tested and also get the car teasted for shorts if the battery tests OK. That definitely isn't right.
As you suggest, an alternator operating only marginally could compound this problem, but usually this tends to show other symtoms as well, like charge light dimly glowing when headlights and/or other battery powered things are being used.

Alan S

Whoops!!
As a BX owner, it's commonly looked upon using full synthetic in gearboxes on them (BXs) as a "no no" overseas, which is why it never even occurred to me that he was talking gearbox oil. clown
Seeing as I'm a one finger typer, I won't go into the reasons. mallet

Alan S

Nick,

Definitely put atleast Mobil Semi-Synthetic Oil in your gearbox and engine. The gearshift will be a little better and the engine will feel like it's been balanced (this really blows my mind, but this is what it felt like in both my 504 and my Dad's 203).

Dave

So Dave, Mobile Semi-Synthetic in both?

It'll need an oil change in 2500kms (I'm going to do it every 5000kms), so I'll try it when the time comes.

Cheers,
Nick

5,000 ? I didnt think it needed to be done that often ?

I thought 10,000 was the norm ?

5 seems a little over the top to me ??

Ben

hmm, well it is 20 years old, it didn't come with a service history, but the guy who owned it seemed to take care of it.

I just figure that its old, so I'll look after it well. Even if it sounds excessive blush

I was under the impression that 5000kms was the standard when changing oil in older cars.

In the past, I'd always had the oil changed in my parents' car every 10,000kms but got told off by friends saying that "oil loses its effectiveness after 5000kms" followed by "that poor car of yours". Since then I've always done oil changes at 5000kms. Someone please let me know if I'm wasting oil (and money)...

Richard

From clip - induction sounds normal; however from description may be worn bearing on gearbox input shaft :rolleyes: or posible alternator frown

rick_b:
From clip - induction sounds normal; however from description may be worn bearing on gearbox input shaft :rolleyes: or posible alternator :(
Yeah, I guess it could be the gearbox input shaft bearing. That is a very common noise to have on older cars.

5,000km seems to be the oil change interval recommended by oil experts (not oil salesmen). 10,000km changes are OK with synthetic oils, but you still won't get 1 million kms out of an engine like you can by doing 5,000km changes.

The general consensus is that Teflon additives in gearboxes, diffs, and balljoints are definitely a good thing, but their worth in engines is very debatable. This make sense since teflon was invented for smooth operation of rotating mechanisms and joints, but it was never intended for use in close proximity to combustion. This is not to say that some people haven't had good results in some types of engines (my father's Falcon Taxi being one example). Generally though, steer clear of teflon in engines, but use it almost everywhere else (either that or moly based lubricants).

Dave