XM V6 Motor

Aln

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I am looking for an XM or Pug 605 V6 motor to upgrade my Alpine to 3L.
I am told that an Aussiefrog members' father had one written off, and that the motor may be available. Any leads. I know I can get one in England, but condition of the heads(corosion) and cranks, through lack of care is a worry as the cars are worth little over there.

Fowles Auctions over here had an XM up for auction at the start of last week. It was auctioned twice but I am not sure whether it was sold or not? Might be worth a look, had front end damage but the engine looked as if it would be OK......... :cheers:

The person you want is Martin Bray - he bought the wrecked XM, and maybe has a couple of others too. He is the main supplier of used XM parts in this part of the world :wink2: .

Bray M & W
19 Grants Gully Rd Clarendon 5157
Phone: 08 - 8383 6207
Mobile Service 0429 089 644

Paul

Paul surely there are more than this wasnt there a lot of XM sold here in Australia?:rolleyes:

Paul is, as usual, correct. Martin did buy Phil's crashed XM and has a few others there too. It was an early 12V engine, but apparently still good.

As far as I can determine there was only ever about 150 XMs sold in Aus, plus a handful of private imports. It is difficult to get a total count as Franzcar were the early importers and will not/can not release the info to collate with ATECO's.

alan moore said:
I am looking for an XM or Pug 605 V6 motor to upgrade my Alpine to 3L.
I am told that an Aussiefrog members' father had one written off, and that the motor may be available. Any leads. I know I can get one in England, but condition of the heads(corosion) and cranks, through lack of care is a worry as the cars are worth little over there.

if you get a complete engine will you be needing the ex manifolds ??

I have bought parts off Con Cars that were removed from Phils Car. Did they get parts off before it went to Martins yard? :confused:

XM Mechanic said:
I have bought parts off Con Cars that were removed from Phils Car. Did they get parts off before it went to Martins yard? :confused:
No, they waited until after - waddya reckon?:rolleyes:

They will be buying there parts from Martin, adding there % profit and postage then onselling to you....

seeya,
Shane L.

To be fair, CCars did have the wreck there for a while and would have used parts from it. It was then sold to Martin IIRC.

I guess as they were nearly $100K there would have not been many sold here....:roflmao:

Thanks everyone.
By comparison to XMs, there were only 26 605s sold in Aus.
Thanks for the contact details. I will try them out soon.

The motors in Europe are cheap, but condition is suspect, and freight and tax soon make your "cheap" engine only ordinary.

Pugrambo, I would expect that the exhaust manifolds would be surplus to my needs, but I haven't even got a motor yet.

I checked to see how much to ship a car to OZ. Worked out about £800, which is cheap for a whole 1800kg car. You can get an XM here for nothing, as they get scrapped for something as silly as a hole in the exhaust! Mind you, you would then have to investigate GST, and other stuff. john s

I really only want a motor and $2000 + GST+Import duty+ actually buying the car would add up to more than a motor alone here would hopefully cost.

Yes, I admit I would then have a car to sell bits off, but I just don't need any more things to work on, or store.

It is quite possible that I will bring a motor out on a skid from the UK, depending on what the few available in Aus are worth.

UFO said:
Paul is, as usual, correct. Martin did buy Phil's crashed XM and has a few others there too. It was an early 12V engine, but apparently still good.

Very late reply, but yes, it was still good at (from memory) 250 000km - didn't use any oil and started easily etc etc.

Sad not to have that car anymore :(
Derek.

XM Mechanic said:

We were a bit... unhappy... after the writeoff. So we had it towed to Continental for them to deal with. It sat out the back until the insurance company decided what to do.

For the record, the C3 dad bought after the XM was written off now has 90 000km on the clock, and has not had a single problem. It has no rattles (WOW!) and doesn't use more than 7L/100km. They're happy!

Derek.

Alls i've gota say is good luck getting a 605, and if you did just to wreack one of the 30 or so that made it onto our roads one of us Peugeot owners would skin you alive

Last edited:
Doing that to an XM, will likewise result in you being skinned by Citroen fanatics Australia-wide.

Uga Boga said:
Doing that to an XM, will likewise result in you being skinned by Citroen fanatics Australia-wide.

Better an XM wreacked to fix a 605, then vice versa

this one would be perfect to fix up a good 605

xm.01.jpg