XM Problems

Alan - this fix is only applicable for the problem they have with cars on salted roads. The metal collar rots. We do not have that problem. We have the problem as I have previously discussed and is backed up by the website that Johan refers to, whereby the rubber component perishes. The metal collar is still in fine nick.

AFAIK, the rubber on these mounts is usually fine - if the owner has maintained the spheres...:confused:

With the number of private imports and the cars in NZ where they have a wetter climate, I would imagine there's instances where it could still be eligible here.
Sean's car as an example, is a private import.

Alan S :confused:

Tempting fate by writing this but.......have had a good look at my front struts and the metal mounting seems in good condition. However the rubber seems a bit worn on one side (drivers side) my suspicion is that the LHS one was replaced at some stage of the cars life and the RHS (Drivers) side one is still original and worn. The front spheres are good but given other things I have found on this car it is possible that it was run with low spheres in it's lifetime.

The underside is in pretty good nick considering it was a UK (salted roads) car. I have put POR15 over the bits that were rusted (front bumper mounts) but the rest is OK, so the galvanising really does work.

Now just watch me find rust the next time I look at the front suspension mounts! :rolleyes:

regards
sean