XM Problems

Johan

Fellow Frogger
I bought my XM in August last year :) and really love the car.
The previous owners abuse caught up with me and the 1st gear would not engage in auto :cry: . The repair people discovered a hole in the gear box- not too neatly patched up. $NZ4200.00 later we were a happy couple again. :)
We did lhe narmal little things like changing diskpads etc. but then :mad: I notice the bonnet is bent! The rubber Bush?mounting? at the top of the McPherson strut has disintegrated (Rally ambitions?)
At this stage the Questions are:

1)If I remove the strut will I loose pressure in the Sphere?(when I undo the top big nut

2)Can any body help with a 2nd hand rubber?

3)Is this a common problem on Citroen

This is my first Ciroen and I am on a steep learning curve and the school fees are high

First up; do not under any circumstances drive that car or you'll either have an accident or cause more damage.

Check out here for further details and get back to us when you have.
Removing the spheres is no problem. Just depressurise the system. A sphere is just doing the job of a spring and once depressurised will not dump the gas or the LHM.

Better have a read here too as it may explain a few things simpler than we can.

http://web.actwin.com/toaph/citroen/work/work.html

Good cars, just stick with it.

Alan S

Hi Johan,

Out of interest surley your XM is not a 2004 model? How do you go with sourcing parts for it in NZ?

regards
sean

Sean

XMs are more abundant in NZ than they are here. 2l and diesel available too.

Johan

Also read this thread with my story about struts etc and some pics of a rusted Xantia strut from UK.

Good luck with it.

UFO said:
Sean

XMs are more abundant in NZ than they are here. 2l and diesel available too.

Good luck with it.

Probably cheaper for me to fly to NZ for parts than to get them via Citroen Australia. :clown:

But on a more serious note if Citroen support diesels in NZ then I don't see why they won't supply parts to Australia. :mad:

regards
sean

Iknow that this post doesnt belong here but i need urgent help!!!
Is anyone of you machanic that knows XM in details ?
i have to open the LHM oil pump somehow , i tried on many ways but the damned thing wont unscrew , did anyone had problem like me?

Hi Ols,

Try the yahoo XM-List and the Andyspares forum as there are lots of XM owners there. I could be wrong but I thought the hydraulic pump was pretty much sealed for life, should not be too hard for you to get a 2nd hand one from fleaBay if you don't want to buy new.

regards
sean

Hi Guys
Firs of all, a BIG thank you for all the advice and support with my XM's suspension problem. In NZ a warning has just come out for all WOF testers to pay special attention to XM and Xantia suspention upper mounts (I had noting to do with that!)
At the moment the car is still an blocks and the top mounts in Auckland some where to be re-vulcanised(I hope its the right word). Will keep you posted.
I am not to sure on how to bleed the system after repairs but will ask around, maybe bribe a mechanic.
Regards
Johan

Your signature says 2004 Citroen XM?

I never knew the XM is still in production!!

Hi Johan,

Are you re using the exisiting mounts? I would love to hear more about this- reliability, cost etc. I suspect mine need doing but Cit Australia ask silly money for new ones.

Bleeding is not difficult, just open the bleed valve (12mm spanner I think) located on the main accumulator. Only trick on the XM with hydractive is to be sure that the center valves are not energised (someone jump in if I have this the wrong way around).

Usual precautions of never being under the car when you do this apply....... :crazy:

sdabel said:
Hi Johan,

Are you re using the exisiting mounts? I would love to hear more about this- reliability, cost etc. I suspect mine need doing but Cit Australia ask silly money for new ones.

Bleeding is not difficult, just open the bleed valve (12mm spanner I think) located on the main accumulator. Only trick on the XM with hydractive is to be sure that the center valves are not energised (someone jump in if I have this the wrong way around).

Usual precautions of never being under the car when you do this apply....... :crazy:
Cit NZ ask NZ$1114.00plusGST each.
Had it redone for $412.00 for both!
Reliability is stil a ???? It appear well done and the material is suppose to be good. I will get the proper name and let you know
Thanks for advice

sdabel said:
Hi Johan,

Hi sdabel
can you ir someone explain more about the center valves and how to do what?
I have everything back together and fiddle with the bleed valve ( I hope I have the right one). With the hight selector in High, Mid, and Low but the wheels wil not react.
Love to hear from you
Thanks
Johan

Hi Johan,

In your case protecting the centre valves is a moot point as you have already bled the system. From memory you disconnect the batt for a few minutes to be sure that they are not energised.

I have found Gabor's site helpfull for understanding hydoactive suspension.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/suspens/xmsuspn.html

Have you primed the hydraulic system? This happened to me on a CX after bleeding the LHM- the pump just needs to be manually primed.

regards
sean

Accessing the pressure release valve/nut on a V6 XM is best done on a four post hoist (ie, wheels on the ramps) as you have to be under the car to access the bleed nut. Right PITA.

XMs are a little more forgiving in the "bleed" stakes than CXs and DSs were but the only thing special I have ever done to mine is to bleed the brakes. For two purposes - to remove any air, which can be evident in delayed braking, esp the rear, and to remove old LHM from the lines. What usually comes out is black/olive coloured muck. Of course you also need weight on the rear hub to be able to bleed the rears as no weight on the hub means zilch brake distribution to the rear brakes so you open the nipple and nothing comes out. I achieved this by removing the wheel and putting a small trolley jack under the end of the swing arm and jacking it up until some weight was there. It works...

Hi Guys
A special word of thanks again for all the support and Tecnical info.
I am impresed how quick I got a response, thanks Sean, Craig and every body else.
After reading the tecno from Craig I was very worried but today (Monday)I phoned My local Citroen-only breakers yard and asked him.
XM is realy forgiving, get the car on the ground or as low as you can, and start her up. Done, she got up and all tested ok.
Regards
Happy Johan

Johan said:
Hi Guys
A special word of thanks again for all the support and Tecnical info.
I am impresed how quick I got a response, thanks Sean, Craig and every body else.
After reading the tecno from Craig I was very worried but today (Monday)I phoned My local Citroen-only breakers yard and asked him.
XM is realy forgiving, get the car on the ground or as low as you can, and start her up. Done, she got up and all tested ok.
Regards
Happy Johan
PS:I put the suspension on high an check the new rubber, it does not even show signs of carrying any weight ie. dont distort.

Johan said:
Cit NZ ask NZ$1114.00plusGST each.
Had it redone for $412.00 for both!
Reliability is stil a ???? It appear well done and the material is suppose to be good. I will get the proper name and let you know
Thanks for advice

Yes, I too would like to know who is doing them please, as I have doubts about
one on the Xantia.

pudlfakr

For future reference, this was just posted on an overseas forum.
I used to have it somewhere but misplaced it, but they had a lot of problems overseas with these in snowy climates, so this guy devised this system.
According to the guy in the UK, he has sent the maker an e-mail but has so far only received an out of office auto response.
If I hear any more I'll post.

http://web.telia.com/~u43116231/index2.htm

An interesting read.

Alan S :cheers: