Written of CX GTi Turbo II

smiffy1071 said:
Do you mean Guildford in sydney? I may have to attend that, as I would already have a place to stay, on Garnet street if that is anywhere close!! john s

Yeah, Guildford in Sydney - it's just across the other side of the island from Perth. Any Sydney cabby would be only too happy to drive you there:drivin: :drivin:

Smiffy, early aussies being a highly imaginative lot, thought some places in Aus reminded them of somwhere in that that cold dot on the map that causes shipping interference for anything coming from Europe heading west :rolleyes: So, there is another Guildford in WA and one in Vic too!

Sydney FCD is on July 17, a bit before you arrive I believe.

UFO said:
and one in Vic too!

Yep - small country town with about a hundered people in it - one shop, one pub, a cricket oval and thats about it.... Its where I grew up. A little bit different from the one in the UK I imagine...

Haakon said:
still reckon a 20B would be the go :D . But to keep it french, a 406 V6 would be nice.

Rotory in a DS (where's the vomit smiley :D ). Why would you want something with no torque that uses as much fuel as a V8 with much less reliability. Much better to put in a nice smooth all alloy motor of some sort.

The old DS's need good torque you know.... After all you need to be able tow a car trailer with it (to bring more DS's home :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ). Certainly not something like a fuel hungry screaming peaking rotory :evil: :roflmao: :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

Crash course in 20B's for Shane: Incredibly torquey, around 400nm. Down low it is as lazy as a typical V8 of the same era whilst being super smooth all the way to astronomical revs.....all with an engine note that makes your spine tingle.

DoubleChevron said:
Rotory in a DS (where's the vomit smiley :D ). Why would you want something with no torque that uses as much fuel as a V8 with much less reliability. Much better to put in a nice smooth all alloy motor of some sort.

The old DS's need good torque you know.... After all you need to be able tow a car trailer with it (to bring more DS's home :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ). Certainly not something like a fuel hungry screaming peaking rotory :evil: :roflmao: :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

Mate, I grew up on rotaries - they are not the torque lacking fuel hungery things you think they are, and they are not unreliable. At least not the NSU ones - havent had much experience with Jap rotaries. But the 20B triple rotor with twin turbos is not going to be lacking grunt, and NOTHING can beat a rotary for smoothness!!

Yes they use a lot of juice for their size compared to pistons, but not when comparing power outputs. Yes a 1.3 litre rotary may use V8 amounts of juice, but it puts out V8 amounts of power.

But I would go the 406 V6 option and keep it french (or use an Ro80 motor - Citroen did for the GS :wink2: )

I don't know shane I reckon it would be really funny to see a DS rotor at the jamboree making a 10 sec pass! :headbang:

Nick

briz205 said:
I don't know shane I reckon it would be really funny to see a DS rotor at the jamboree making a 10 sec pass! :headbang:

Nick

that would be a site for everyone to laugh at, and then when it went down the strip they'd go WTF!

i wonder what sort of power you could get out of a GS Birotor

macquered said:
Crash course in 20B's for Shane: Incredibly torquey, around 400nm. Down low it is as lazy as a typical V8 of the same era whilst being super smooth all the way to astronomical revs.....all with an engine note that makes your spine tingle.

I was just stiring up Haakon, I know of his love of rotories :D BTW: You all managed to yell me down within about 3minutes of each other :roflmao: :roflmao:

The GS was intended to have a single rotor, the CX a twin rotory.... However the fuel crisis hit back in the 70's. With regards to this being a good or bad thing :confused: I'm not sure :confused:

Appanantly that's why C-matics were to be used with the GS (and most likely CX) rotories. To overcome the zero torque available at idle (the torque converter would allow you to get the revs up sliightly to aid moving off the line).

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,

Just roll with the punches. We mean no harm and come in peace. :cool:
Shame citroen didn't start with rotors again I think they are a lost cause with mazkrap.

Nick

briz205 said:
Shane,

Just roll with the punches. We mean no harm and come in peace. :cool:
Shame citroen didn't start with rotors again I think they are a lost cause with mazkrap.

Nick

whats wrong with Mazdas nick ?? certainely nothing wrong with the RX3's,4's,7's, and cosmos, the RX8 is questionable imo but nothing in general wrong with rotary mazdas

Ever owned one? I guess not if you are still a fan.... I have had countless friends own rotors and everyone of them bar the ones with the late RX7 had sold them A. expensive to fix and maintain, B. gas gusler, C. interior just falls apart in your hands. I could go on but I won't, oh and they are noisey and attract the cops from miles away. I think if they where in citroens it would be a different story.

My :2cents:

Nick

briz205 said:
Ever owned one? I guess not if you are still a fan.... I have had countless friends own rotors and everyone of them bar the ones with the late RX7 had sold them A. expensive to fix and maintain, B. gas gusler, C. interior just falls apart in your hands. I could go on but I won't, oh and they are noisey and attract the cops from miles away. I think if they where in citroens it would be a different story.

My :2cents:

Nick

we've had 1 RX3 and 3 RX4's in our family nick, and all when new, so I have more then a little bit of an idea, and to add to that we still have 1 that we own after 30 years, and in that time before the engine was replaced a few years ago there was only two occasions were anything went wrong with the car, and they were as follows

1. an engine rebuild that wasn't completely necessary
2. when the engine wasn't turned over, and warmed up when my grandfather went over seas it did a bit of damage to the engine.

the car in question is still on the road after 30 years with only those major costs, the rest would come under normal servicing.

they're only gas guzlers, and unreliable when they're driven hard, and serviced improperly by young idiots, under normal circumstances they are perfectly reliable and i have personal experience to prove as such.

As for RX7 interiors i wouldn't have an idea having never been in anything newer then an RX4

Last edited:
ARCHRIVAL said:
John my citroen mechanic at present is Geoffrey at Chevron Down Under been maintaining my car for 5 years now very methodical and competant guy The electronics in the car have been the only drama's (besides the stupid things previous people did to the car prior to me rescueing from a life on the streets :evil: ) but I think thats universal when your playing with 17 year old techno cars .My work computers and soft ware become obsolete every 6 months . I hate to think how outdated the control units in my car are but you still can't fix them with a hammer and chisel :crazy:

Ah, I thought as much and have found the same having let him loose on my CX rear end and a few related matters - recommended from several directions. Just checking....

Cheers

John W

smiffy1071 said:
Do you mean Guildford in sydney? I may have to attend that, as I would already have a place to stay, on Garnet street if that is anywhere close!! john s

Alas, it is Guildford in Perth. However, you can go to Sydney via Perth (Heathrow-Singapore-Perth-Sydney)!!

Cheers

JohnW

we've had 1 RX3 and 3 RX4's in our family nick, and all when new, so I have more then a little bit of an idea, and to add to that we still have 1 that we own after 30 years, and in that time before the engine was replaced a few years ago there was only two occasions were anything went wrong with the car, and they were as follows

1. an engine rebuild that wasn't completely necessary
2. when the engine wasn't turned over, and warmed up when my grandfather went over seas it did a bit of damage to the engine.

the car in question is still on the road after 30 years with only those major costs, the rest would come under normal servicing.

they're only gas guzlers, and unreliable when they're driven hard, and serviced improperly by young idiots, under normal circumstances they are perfectly reliable and i have personal experience to prove as such.

As for RX7 interiors i wouldn't have an idea having never been in anything newer then an RX4

Hi orestes,

ok I agree I was wrong to judge please take my apology. That was my findings from friends. These where serviced by advanced rotor shops who seemed to cost an arm an a leg. So i'm guessing once you try to "mod" these cars you start to hit problems as all the ones I'm talking about had mods.

CHeers Nick

briz205 said:
Hi orestes,

ok I agree I was wrong to judge please take my apology. That was my findings from friends. These where serviced by advanced rotor shops who seemed to cost an arm an a leg. So i'm guessing once you try to "mod" these cars you start to hit problems as all the ones I'm talking about had mods.

CHeers Nick

of course, though the same can be said for any modified engine. That is that you will take away a large proportion of an engines reliability when you modify it.

I know your just stirring Shane - its all good :D I still want that CX prototype Citroen built with the NSU triple rotor..... :approve:

Dads Ro80 has been ridiculously reliable (280K MILES on two motors) - the last engine rebuild was only down to a dodgy thermostat that cooked the motor before he realised what had happened - could have just as easily been a piston motor. Only in this case, being a rotary it was an easy job to replace a couple of fried O rings between the housing and end plates. Rotories are so bloody easy to fix - there are bugger all bits in them....

Most horror stories with Wankel motors are highly modded ones - any hotted up motor loses reliability and will chew more juice. Its a bit like french cars - got a reputation for being expsensive which we all know is crap :wink2:

The GS with a 12A Rotary is a lot of fun. Yes, it sucked a lot of fuel, but in the same breath, it beat a lot of cars off the mark, especially Commodores. It loved Commodores, especially autos. Someone on this board owns it now, I hope she's on the road again, just like the Canned Heat song.