Working on the SM

Finally, here is an update on my progress with the new ignition system.

INITIAL EXPERIENCE WITH THE 123 SM TUNEPLUS IGNITION

INSTALLATION

The installation was straightforward. Initially, I set it up on the bench using a small 12 volt battery but without the coil. Establishing a Bluetooth Connection went smoothly and I was able to read the curves that were already programmed from the factory. I was also able to observe the internal LED that is used to set the distributor at close to the firing point. I used a permanent marker to draw a line under the number 1 HT lead connection. Because I had been running a dual ignition, the HT lead connections positions change on the single ignition cap, so I had to work out an orientation of the distributor so that the HT leads would reach their connections, number 1 was in a position that I could view the marking line to line up the rotor and the wires coming out of the distributor and the pressure connection would be convenient. A diagram of the envisaged layout was drawn. I also found that the rotor on the 123 includes a 5 kilohm resistance just like the original SEV rotor.

I rotated the engine so that number 1 was at the PMH mark on the compression stroke and pulled out the existing distributor. I installed the 123 and rotated it to line up the rotor to suit the LED and at the start of the HT lead mark, tightened it down lightly and put the distributor cap on and fitted the HT leads. I then installed the new coil that came with the distributor and connected up the wires to the injection, coil, power, earth and tacho. Then I tried for a start. There were a couple of cylinders that fired initially but then nothing. I think the SM was objecting to the new kit. So I then fitted new BP5ES spark plugs and new Bougicord HT leads and the engine started immediately and ran quite smoothly. I used my timing light to rotate the distributor so it was firing on PMH at low idle and zero advance and tighten down the distributor clamp.

I had been doing some thinking about how I would manage the vacuum retard system with the 123. They do have a method to use the pressure sensor to provide a vacuum retard, but I decided to just use the lower end of the engine speed advance curve to simulate the vacuum retard and leave the vacuum sensor for use as a traditional vacuum advance. In the first stage, I decided to not implement a vacuum advance but I did connect the manifold to the sensor so I could monitor manifold pressure on the mobile phone app. So my first engine speed advance curve matched pretty closely the factory settings from an IE SM engine which incidentally have quite a bit less advance than those on the carby engines.

RPM​
Advance (degrees)​
Comment​
500​
0​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​
1000​
0​
1100​
9​
1000 to 1100 Simulates Vacuum Retard​
2400​
26​
First Knee in Curve​
4000​
28​
Maximum Advance​
8000​
28​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​

With this curve, the engine felt strong to about 2500 rpm but I had lost the top end whoosh effect above 3000 rpm. Further testing also showed that the engine still had the effect of increasing torque as I released the throttle from WOT at around 3000 rpm. I started to further reduce the advance at the medium to high rev range. I have been battling unusual high levels of rainfall and thunder storms. Also the SM lives in the most luxurious car accommodation I have, my 2 car shed in the backyard and the need to drive over the (wet) back lawn to get to the cement driveway. As a result, the SM has only been getting a couple of solo drives each week, and the results of some trials have felt great initially and then not so good on the next drive. The high amount of traffic has also made it difficult to really compare one curve with another. I think another factor is that the amount of advance an engine required changes as the engine warms up and fuel mixtures lean out. I have been juggling a lot of inputs, the strobe timing setting of 22o @ 2000 rpm for this engine, some discrepancies in the factory advance data for this model of engine and the inference that the engine has been running over advanced over the last 5 years. Dyno tuning has not been easy to access.

After many iterations and experiments, I arrived at this advance curve today which as you can see is about 3 degrees retarded on the factory curve. This curve has had two drives today, one with just engine speed advance and then with vacuum advance progressively added from 0 degrees at 0.85 to 10 degrees at 0.65 Bar and lower manifold pressures above 1300 rpm.

RPM​
Advance (degrees)​
Comment​
500​
0​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​
1000​
0​
1100​
9​
1000 to 1100 Simulates Vacuum Retard​
2400​
23​
First Knee in Curve​
4000​
25​
Second Knee in Advance Curve​
8000​
27​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​

The engine seemed to be a lot less touchy to throttle changes with the vacuum advance added but seemed to retain the same torque characteristic at large throttle openings. The other huge benefit is that the engine seems to be running a lot cooler – less than half way up the white section on the temperature gauge today.

Cheers, Ken

The Starter Motor has recently become more unreliable than usual. The final straw was when it refused to start after the CCCQ Christmas Party until I had tried about 20 key turns. After that effort, I only drove it from Home to Home. I remember asked the PO if he had ever reconditioned it and the response was 'No, I think it is original'. So I knew it was over due and likely to come up soon. I managed to arrange a reconditioned starter so I could swap it over quickly when the time came. Sure enough, action was needed right in the middle of summer.

I have been following a mix of both sets of instructions from 581-2 but it has taken three pretty intense sessions to get this far. As usual it has fought me every step of the way. I am not sure how I am going to get the nuts back on the studs after I get the new one in. Hopefully not having the heat shield on will make it easier to get a socket in there to run the nuts on once the two washers are in place.

Any hints on replacement would be appreciated.

If you ever have your SM engine taken out, my advice would be to get the starter reconditioned while the engine is out.

Cheers, Ken

Starter Motor Out Finally.jpg

The frigging starter on a 308 petrol is not much fun either without a hoist, I see the concrete blocks are in use Ken...more than patience required by the sounds of it🥶

I’ve done it once with the engine in and once with it out and recall the former being a real pain. Separating the downpipe from the exhaust manifold enables the manifold and starter shield to be removed. IIRC I took the big water pipe off to ease access, but maybe that’s not essential. The starter bolts can then be accessed, one being very difficult. Cleaning up the threads when it’s finally out helps reassembly. Also the cable needs to go on the right way at the starter motor if it’s to reach the battery, as there’s no chance to reposition it afterwards (been there done that!).

The starter can be overhauled, it’s like the heavier DS starters. I think the modern aftermarket ones are smaller and may be easier to take on and off, but haven’t fitted one.

Cheers

Marc

The frigging starter on a 308 petrol is not much fun either without a hoist, I see the concrete blocks are in use Ken...more than patience required by the sounds of it🥶
Well I think Kens kids have a hoist ..... Which probably means Ken has a hoist :)

Hoist is full at the moment ;)

That's about the only problem with hoists. My ramps of full of dismantled traction..... I'll get back to it at some point in time. Until then I can't use them to work on the cars I actually need :clown: .... The answer is obvious you know .... You obviously desperately need a 2nd hoist :dance:

The Starter Motor has recently become more unreliable than usual. The final straw was when it refused to start after the CCCQ Christmas Party until I had tried about 20 key turns. After that effort, I only drove it from Home to Home. I remember asked the PO if he had ever reconditioned it and the response was 'No, I think it is original'. So I knew it was over due and likely to come up soon. I managed to arrange a reconditioned starter so I could swap it over quickly when the time came. Sure enough, action was needed right in the middle of summer.

I have been following a mix of both sets of instructions from 581-2 but it has taken three pretty intense sessions to get this far. As usual it has fought me every step of the way. I am not sure how I am going to get the nuts back on the studs after I get the new one in. Hopefully not having the heat shield on will make it easier to get a socket in there to run the nuts on once the two washers are in place.

If you ever have your SM engine taken out, my advice would be to get the starter reconditioned while the engine is out.

Cheers, Ken

View attachment 140190
John Titus in the US has modern gear reduction starters he produces for the SM. I have one in mine and highly recommend. I think he also has one to suit the DS.

I have also just fitted a 123 Tune + to my 3.0lt carby SM and am interested in your experience setting the curves up, particularly the vacuum advance. I just test drove using the "Curve 3" from the 123 instructions and it seems quite good, less exhaust popping on deceleration, but a bit of hesitation on low rev acceleration.

Cheers, Ken

View attachment 140190

How do you turn the engine to align it to no. 1? Do you put a stillson onto the hydraulic drive shaft? I couldn't see any other way to do it if the starter motor doesn't work, but it seems a little rough on the old girl.
Erik

With a manual, you lift up one front wheel, put it in 5th and turn the wheel in the going forward direction. Luckily, the PO has put a great white mark on the layshaft where it comes out at the front of the engine, so you know when you are getting close to PMH on No 1.

Not sure how you do an auto. Perhaps put it up on jackstands or a hoist and use a screwdriver on the ring gear to turn the engine although that would be a pretty slow process.

Cheers, Ken

With a manual, you lift up one front wheel, put it in 5th and turn the wheel in the going forward direction. Luckily, the PO has put a great white mark on the layshaft where it comes out at the front of the engine, so you know when you are getting close to PMH on No 1.

Not sure how you do an auto. Perhaps put it up on jackstands or a hoist and use a screwdriver on the ring gear to turn the engine although that would be a pretty slow process.

Cheers, Ken
It's an auto...:(

Erik,

So would yours be a 3litre carby BWauto car? What sort of ignition system does it have?

If you took the spark plugs out to remove any compression, I think you could turn the motor using the layshaft to find the PMH without stressing the primary timing chain and tensioner too much.

Just be aware that there are two passings of the PMH for a full cycle of each cylinder of the engine but only one rotation of the layshaft.
To make sure you have the correct PMH, you either have to check the position of the camshafts (by taking off the rocker cover) or using the position of the distributor rotor under the distributor cap.

I suggest you take the distributor cap off and place a mark on the distributor rim under the place where the Number 1 spark plug lead sits. You will have the compression PMH when the correct rotor electrode is covering or very close to this mark. When you are sure you have the right compression PMH position, place a mark on the top of the layshaft coupling adaptor that clamps onto the end of the layshaft for future reference.

I have attached a pic of my original SEV Distributor with rotor near PMH on cylinder Number 1 for reference. There is some parallax error in the photo as well that you need to compensate for. You can see the marks on the distributor rim under where the No 1 spark plug sits.

The dual ignition system that the SM was originally fitted with takes a lot of thinking to get your head around, and I'm an electronics engineer!

Cheers, Ken

SM Distributor at No1 PMH with some parallax error.jpg

It's an auto...:(
I have seen far too many jackshafts with marks from pipe wrenches used to turn the engine. About 1/3 or more of the ring gear is exposed underneath the engine. I always use the ring gear to get TDC on automatics. You can always figure out which is the correct TDC by having an assistant put his/her thumb over the #1 spark plug hole. When the compression starts to push your finger off the hole, you are approaching TDC end of compression.

Palyasm said "I have also just fitted a 123 Tune + to my 3.0lt carby SM and am interested in your experience setting the curves up, particularly the vacuum advance. I just test drove using the "Curve 3" from the 123 instructions and it seems quite good, less exhaust popping on deceleration, but a bit of hesitation on low rev acceleration."

Welcome to Aussiefrogs. I have just taken my SM for a long trip to Cowra and back for Cit-in and the 123 Tune + performed well. The engine now seems to be reponding well to the factory centrifugal curve and I can easily pass B doubles in 5th gear using the passing lanes.

The curves I am developing are for a DJet injection 2.7 litre engine which seems to need a lot less advance than the Carby based engines. I just had the service manual for the American SMs (862) open and below is the curve for these engines. The degrees of advance and rpm in this graph are for the distributor, so you have to double these values for the engine advance values which the 123 uses. The static advance setting for these engines is 6 degrees of crankshaft advance which is added to these curves. I have given up on the vacuum retard system and have used the manifold vacuum line to give an extra up to 5 degrees of advance on top of the centrifugal advance.

Cheers, Ken

1650704416297.png

Hi Ken,
I am not with my car for this week, so I will reply in more detail next week, with a photo. It is a 2.7l engine and it has has a dizzy setup from an American car.
Cheers, Erik

Here is an update on my progress with the 123 ignition curves for my SM IE.

I continued to have driveability problems with the ignition set to 0 degrees advance at idle speed. The engine was sluggish to come off idle especially when cold. I have now changed the advance map so it idles with 7 degrees advance between 700 and 1100 rpm and then mostly follows the OEM curve at rpm above that. This greatly improved the drivability aspect when motoring around town.

As mentioned above, I drove the SM from Brisbane to Cowra and back for Cit-in 2022. This 3000 km trip provided an excellent opportunity to see how the ignition performed on the highway. I do recall that initially the upper torque increase was not coming in until above 4000 rpm so I did increase the advance level at 4000 rpm by 1 degree and that lowered the onset of the torque lift down to about 3500 rpm. I have the rev limiter set at 6100 rpm. Below are the settings I am now using.

RPM​
Advance (degrees)​
Comment​
500​
0​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​
700​
7​
Some advance for idling​
1100​
7​
Time to start initial advance​
2400​
23​
First Knee in Curve​
4000​
26​
Almost Maximum Advance​
8000​
27​
123 Fixed RPM Setting​

Most of the articles I have found on the www say that petrol engines will give improved fuel consumption with the additional of 10 degrees of advance on partial throttle. I tried this setting but found that it was too much for the SM engine in that it severely reduced engine torque at high revs when the throttle was closed. I found that a setting of 5 degrees was much more tolerable and provides good torque through the 3000 rpm point on partial throttle. I was also able to set the vacuum advance to only be applied above 1300 rpm.

Absolute Pressure kPa​
Advance (degrees)​
Comment​
0​
5​
123 Fixed Advance Setting​
65​
5​
Start to reduce Vac Advance​
85​
0.0​
No more Vacuum Advance​
100​
0.0​
No more Vacuum Advance​
200​
0.0​
No more Vacuum Advance​

Over two days on the return trip from Cowra, I filled up at Dubbo, stayed the night in the Warrumbungles and then drove to Tenterfield through Mt Kaputar National Park and via Copeland Dam before refilling in Tenterfield in all about 700 km. I have misplaced the fuel docket but I do recall calculating the fuel consumption over that tank at about 9.5l/100km or about 29.5 mpg which I was pretty pleased with.

I have also been able to refine my starting technique. With a cold engine, I turn the ignition on, give the accelerator pedal one pump and run the starter motor. With a bit of fuel already in the intake manifold, the engine fires easily and one can then run it at 2000 rpm until the hydraulics pump up. If the engine has been recently running, I just run the starter without touching the accelerator until it fires up. If I somehow get it flooded, I press the accelerator down, then turn on the ignition and try to start it with the accelerator on the floor until it fires.

So with the fitting of the 123 ignition, new spark plug leads with resistance less than 3 kohms and BP5ES sparkplugs, I have driven about 4000km in the SM without having to touch either the distributor or the spark plugs or having any loss of tune. I think that is a big win. Let’s hope it continues to perform.

Cheers, Ken

PS Now I need to go bleed the clutch hydraulics so I can go drive it again.

Last edited:
Shucks, that’s probably better mpg than I’d get out of the GS.

when I drove the GSA around New Zealand it was getting 8 to 8.5l/100km driven not always gently so 9,5 in the SM is quite impressive.

The clutch control hydraulics on my RHD car are fed from a small LHM reservoir bolted onto the side of the interior air fan in the engine bay. When I noticed the clutch was not releasing properly (synchros were working harder), I had a look in the reservoir for the first time in 6 years and yes, it was empty. I topped it up but it wouldn't self bleed. The only way to get in reverse was to put it in reverse and start the engine.

I looked up my RTa manual and it said to attach a tube to the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and to push the master down with the bleed valve open and up with it closed and repeat until the tube is clear of air. Tried that with assistance and pumped a lot of LHM through but the free play just got worse. Time for a rethink. I filled up a 50ml syringe with LHM, joined it onto the end of the now filled tube on the slave bleed port, opened the bleed screw and pumped in about 40 ml of LHM back into the system - slave to master to reservoir. During this injection, I thought I heard a blurp from the small reservior header tank, so I tightened the bleed screw and went to try it out. Yes, it was back to normal and I had full clutch disengagement again. That was a relief.

Just in time too, because later yesterday afternoon, the Varta battery in the C5X7 gave out during the school pickup run. I got it home by using the trusty Altronics Jump Starter but I drove the SM to the Hockey match at Cannon Hill at dawn today. This afternoon I have taken the C5X7 battery down to Autobarn for a warranty replacement and subbied in a battery from the Activa. Why am I not just using the Activa, well that's another story.

Cheers, Ken