Which early Megane had hydraulic power steering racks?

Megane 1 and their Scenic counterparts. Only ones found in australia are the convertibles.
Clio 2 Sports.

Thanks Vivid & Haakon.
I ask because these racks could be a good fit into a R17.
Alby here on AF has done a conversion 12 years back and now thinks a Megane rack could be a good rack to use.

So I'm now looking for a suitable Megane rack, if anyone has one out there, please contact me.

This one?

Last edited:
Thanks Vivid & Haakon.
Alby here on AF has done a conversion 12 years back and now thinks a Megane rack could be a good rack to use.

So I'm now looking for a suitable Megane rack, if anyone has one out there, please contact me.

This one?
I have a few 'spare' parts scenics if you need it but Im in TAS and you're in WA

that Freo scenic looks the goods.

I'm on my way back to Mandurah from Perth so I might call in. See what they want for it. Hopefully it is what I have seen on the net. So could be adaptable. The mount clamps look removable.
timely thread I've been ignoring the whine on my scenic's power steering.

so Haakon, that means PH2 went electric?

I really liked the renault electric steering. I haven't driven other electric steering setups but heard and read many critical reviews of electric steering in general.

I don't want to hijack the thread... and others may find my thought offensive, but I've been toying with the idea of setting up an R10 equivalent electric motor. I'm a sofware guy so my interest was if the controller could be setup to give identical performance given the mass of the motor etc in the rear matches the original block mass. Leave the gearbox in. Tho some battery weight in the front wouldn't go astray.
Then all we'd need is to emulate the engine noise and tone. Gets me thinking about an 807 'emulated' block and some serious loudspeakers! ;)

Shoj, is there a reason you wouldn't attempt the later electric steering, or is it related to using the existing 17 plumbing?

Yep, Meg 2 and it’s Scenic derivative was electric steer.

Like most early generation electric steer, it wasn’t the last word in steering feel. They got better in later years, but it was a while for example before Porsche finally made an electric steer system that was better than their last hydraulic system.

Clio 2 Sport for example retained hydraulic when all the non sports were electric. Back in those days the software had not been well developed - these days modern electric steer is better than hydraulic.

timely thread I've been ignoring the whine on my scenic's power steering.

so Haakon, that means PH2 went electric?

I really liked the renault electric steering. I haven't driven other electric steering setups but heard and read many critical reviews of electric steering in general.

I don't want to hijack the thread... and others may find my thought offensive, but I've been toying with the idea of setting up an R10 equivalent electric motor. I'm a sofware guy so my interest was if the controller could be setup to give identical performance given the mass of the motor etc in the rear matches the original block mass. Leave the gearbox in. Tho some battery weight in the front wouldn't go astray.
Then all we'd need is to emulate the engine noise and tone. Gets me thinking about an 807 'emulated' block and some serious loudspeakers! ;)

Shoj, is there a reason you wouldn't attempt the later electric steering, or is it related to using the existing 17 plumbing?
I’d still be using a Clio IV 900cc turbo triple in an R10 :)

Thanks Vivid & Haakon.

Did you still need photos of Alby's Fuego PS => R17 conversion?
I couldn't find the photos on here but I can take some photos over the weekend.

that's the 3cyl beasty? how mucha mulla?
66kw :) Not much, but lots of low down torque and it’s more than enough for an R10. And a lighter package than the iron block Sierra engine.

Plus some straight pipes off the cat and a blowoff valve and it sounds super cool :)

Yes please! Do you have his 17 with p/steering

I do. I managed to dig these up, let me know what in particular you want me to focus on.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    865.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi Vivid.
The coupling to the steering column and the mounts bolts position.
Any close ups are appreciated.
(That cross member looks different to mine!)

Hi Vivid.
The coupling to the steering column and the mounts bolts position.
Any close ups are appreciated.
(That cross member looks different to mine!)

hmm could it be a Fuego cross member?