Where are they all coming from?

Glenn Drake

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
In my 30-years of DS ownership I can’t remember a time when there’s been so many for sale on Carsales (and like).
There’s currently 12 for sale, just on Carsales, with at least a couple more on Gumtree.
And the quality of them is also good, ranging from pretty good to very tasty indeed😊
Not sure why they are all emerging.
Any thoughts ?

might be a whole stack of old timers downsizing at the same time

And the quality of them is also good, ranging from pretty good to very tasty indeed😊
Mmmmm, maybe I should chuck mine on there and "broaden the spectrum"?🤔😉🤣

Resized_20210522_111127(1).jpeg

Mmmmm, maybe I should chuck mine on there and "broaden the spectrum"?🤔😉🤣

View attachment 218699
Noooo..... Its only money, keep the toys you like tinkering with. This one is the ideal car ... .you can just drive and enjoy it. Those high $$$ restorations would be difficult to enjoy as you would be endlessly worried about it getting damaged.

it is good to see the prices are finally keeping track of values that other makes of the period demand and more than 2CVs! 😂
Where are the XMs! Love a good XM.

Noooo..... Its only money, keep the toys you like tinkering with. This one is the ideal car ... .you can just drive and enjoy it. Those high $$$ restorations would be difficult to enjoy as you would be endlessly worried about it getting damaged.
I guess you're right, and the '60 Suzuki would miss the old girl, they seem to have formed quite a bond.😆

Resized_20221031_144542.jpeg

it is good to see the prices are finally keeping track of values that other makes of the period demand and more than 2CVs! 😂
Where are the XMs! Love a good XM.

Well most DS owners seem to be happy to grab the tools out and tinker when needed. If they ever own an XM .... they rapidly decide "no way ... never again" after they have tried to work on it a few times...... Well at least that is my experience.

I really like XMs, I reckon a 24valve V6 manual one would be fabulous .... I'd be damned if I'd ever pay money to own another though :clown: :ROFLMAO: A DS .... I really like everything about them .... and would buy one anytime if I had the $$$ to do it :dance:

Are the sales by people who don't trust their family to inherit? Their kids want a 4wd and caravan and the grandkids want a tesla.... or haven't bothered getting a driver's licence. So maybe the proper car owners are selling while they can select the next custodian.

Are the sales by people who don't trust their family to inherit? Their kids want a 4wd and caravan and the grandkids want a tesla.... or haven't bothered getting a driver's licence. So maybe the proper car owners are selling while they can select the next custodian.
I think the DS due to it's "iconic" status will probably continue to retain good value relative to it's condition.
Many older "regular" cars will decline in value (or remain static) given enough time.
I recently read a US article that was saying that as the population ages there will be a lot of early cars hitting the market (they used T and A Model Fords as an example) with very few people interested in buying them, therefore their values will tank. They said the average American T and A owner (this is for standard/restored cars) is now in their 70s. I'm thinking the average DS owner's age (except for me 😉) is something similar?
I hate to say it, but at present, most of the '50s to early '80s Aussie, American and Japanese cars that sell quickly are "patina finish", significantly lowered, big wheels and big stereo.
The nice original or restored examples, are listed for many weeks or even months and often aren't much different in price (and are sometimes lower in price) to their bastardised brethren.🤷‍♂️

Tesla, mmmm.🤔 I wonder if I locked the DS in gear, took the spark plugs out (to relieve compression) and hooked the starter motor's electrical circuit up to the accelerator pedal if I could flog it off as a BEV to some newly licenced 17 year old?😆

The current selection are spread around the country and are actually quite a diverse range of models. Some have listed a reason for sale. I would think a lot of the longer-term owners might be more likely helped by rising interest rates, but everyone's situation is different.

Here's a quick link to Carsales, which will return 12 listings today:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q..._.Model.DS-21._.Model.DS-23._.Model.ID-19.)))

Was this grandpa's pride and joy inherited by an 18yo??? Lovely interior. Must have been cloth originally.
Stage 2 would be orange wipers, strip the badges, black bumpers, angel eyes ... and lower it. :)
1679623841219.png

theres at least 3 recognizable cars that have been restored/owned by AFers on Carsales.

”Dutton’s” asserts a DS23 Pallas E has a wooden dash and Diravi?

Was this grandpa's pride and joy inherited by an 18yo??? Lovely interior. Must have been cloth originally.
Stage 2 would be orange wipers, strip the badges, black bumpers, angel eyes ... and lower it. :)
View attachment 218704
Oh I can see where they are going with it!🙂

images (69).jpeg

This deceased estate '26 model Citroen B14 just popped up on Marketplace as well.