When topping up oils

Some of the veteran/vintage cars had a little sight glass in the dash where you could visually see the engine oil circulating.
Now that's peace of mind.🤷‍♂️

in my experience owners manuals have changed dramatically in my lifetime ,trying to find basic information is a challenge ,my wife's 307 HDI mas a manual that lists things under the weirdest headings ,so i have to scan through till i find a picture ,of what im looking for ,

in my experience owners manuals have changed dramatically in my lifetime ,trying to find basic information is a challenge ,my wife's 307 HDI mas a manual that lists things under the weirdest headings ,so i have to scan through till i find a picture ,of what im looking for ,
Point taken but the pictures are good!

Apparently the Audi R8 owner's manual contains over 600,000 words and takes longer to read than the entire Lord of the Rings novel series.
The same article stated the Landrover Discovery's owner's manual was written at such a level that full comprehension would require the reader to have a university level of education.

Probably 2 good reasons why people don't read them.🤷‍♂️

Hi.

I am the only person in my family that reads owners manual, pretty boring heh?

In my experience few people read manuals. For those that accept the VARK model, extract below, it seems that different homo sapiens have different preferred learning styles. Only one of which is "Read/write" learning. So I am not surprised that most people don't access owners manuals.

But for the specific question like the op had initialy posted, I consider it not unreasonable to use the index or "owner checks" parts of the owners manual to find a specific piece of information, it's not that difficult and they often also have nice pictures, just like the books I read my grandchildren to hold attention. If not willing to do this, then I concur with others posts, that the best course of action is to close the bonnet and drive to their local friendly service center.

Maybe I am a bit harsh, but that's my opinion.

Cheers.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesthetic_learning
1674044186857.png

Last edited:
I don't need a temperature gauge on the fridge.
I'm a retired professional cook, I'd suggest you do need a temperature gauge in the fridge... ;)
In restaurants you have to record the temperature inside every fridge twice a day, and keep a log book of the temperatures, so you know when the fridge isn't working right before your customers start getting sick...
I don't check the thermometer in my own fridge every day, but I do check it about twice a week.

I'm a retired professional cook, I'd suggest you do need a temperature gauge in the fridge... ;)
In restaurants you have to record the temperature inside every fridge twice a day, and keep a log book of the temperatures, so you know when the fridge isn't working right before your customers start getting sick...
I don't check the thermometer in my own fridge every day, but I do check it about twice a week.
You are quite right and I stand corrected. I should be more careful in how I word things.. That said, what I meant is that I reckon most people want a car that just works, year in and year out, without their needing much technical knowledge. That also said, they can't blame the car if it is not serviced and checked.

In line with our cars, our fridge does have such a guage and I do keep an eye on it. Thanks for making the point.

I've been known to read the cars handbooks at times. Almost every time wihtout fail I throw it away in disgust. What I usually am looking for is oil types and capacities. If its there, it bloody difficult to find....... Oh, and fuses, the fuse lists and locations. you would be amazed where they can hide fuses.

I've been known to read the cars handbooks at times. Almost every time wihtout fail I throw it away in disgust. What I usually am looking for is oil types and capacities. If its there, it bloody difficult to find....... Oh, and fuses, the fuse lists and locations. you would be amazed where they can hide fuses.
Yes, let's not start on fuses.... :( Been there recently.....

if you need to read the manual for a fridge or a new car, you probably bought a shit fridge/car.
same goes for checking the oil between services. Who does that these days? probably old timers with a history of British cars who can’t let go of the past, or people with an over developed sense of their own worth in the scheme of things.

once your car starts leaking fluid then I very much see the value in checking it’s level, but on a newish car with no history of fluid loss, it’s just collecting underpants to even bother.

My wife has a new car and lifts the bonnet every day.🧐

We've found that's the only way to keep the rodents out of the engine bay.
They sure seem to be attracted to that "new car smell".🤷‍♂️

An engine in good condition may not use any oil at all between changes! My 20+ year old 406 (3 litre V6 engine) lancer needs a top up between changes.

When the car is due for a service, the old engine oil must be drained out of the sump before any new oil is added.

If you find checking the dipstick a bit messy then you don't want to have anything to do with changing the oil! Pay a professional to do it. You can still manage the process - it is up to you to select the mechanic and ensure that the correct pull is used and that the service is done at the correct intervals.
I have the same engine but don't top up at all between services (and, yes, I have s small leak in the cam covers, but next to nothing on the driveway parking spot).

Yes, let's not start on fuses.... :( Been there recently.....
Yes my '65 F250 blew a fuse a few weeks ago.
I knew it was one of the 3 that the fuse box holds, but which one?🧐🧐🧐🤣

if you need to read the manual for a fridge or a new car, you probably bought a shit fridge/car.
same goes for checking the oil between services. Who does that these days? probably old timers with a history of British cars who can’t let go of the past, or people with an over developed sense of their own worth in the scheme of things.

once your car starts leaking fluid then I very much see the value in checking it’s level, but on a newish car with no history of fluid loss, it’s just collecting underpants to even bother.
Well, mostly. My daughter's Scenic reverted to miles after a battery change.... The manual explains how to change to km. Unfortunately, and this reinforces some comments here that differ from mine, it explains it so badly that I couldn't do it. It is simple, once you have found correct instructions from a UK Renault Forum, where there are thousands and thousands of these cars. It takes about 20 seconds, or three weeks and slashed wrists if you try to follow the handbook.... :)

I do check the oil in the R8 a couple of time per year. 35 years after the engine rebuild, it still uses little to no oil. Mostly I check the concrete floor underneath it. I guess you have a point......

Came across this ad for a Suzuki on Marketplace. Not familiar with the oil brand, but I guess it's already black when you pour it in?😁

20230119_163508.jpg

No doubt they just want all of your cars to be taste tested and to smell like them. :sick:
Hmmmm, little bast........err rascals.
A Dr my wife works with, had the entire wiring loom destroyed in a brand new Mini a couple of years ago, yet they never touched the other new vehicle that was parked next to it in the same garage.🤷‍♂️

You need a hungry cat. The ratter feline of my youth destroyed everything smaller than itself, and scared off big dogs.