When topping up oils

Yes. We can become inured to sounds like that.

I guess noises can creep up and the regular operator may not notice.🤷‍♂️
On three occasions now I've gotten rides in cars that I infrequently travel in; two daughter's cars and my wife's car and within 500m said "what's that f#cking noise"?
They each had a crook wheel bearing at the time, to me they sounded like a freight train, but all three of the regular driver's said "what noise".🤔

With the crankshaft, I'm wondering if it wasn't something high pitched out of my hearing range .... but soemthing a 16year old could clearly hear.

With the crankshaft, I'm wondering if it wasn't something high pitched out of my hearing range .... but soemthing a 16year old could clearly hear.
That is a possibility.

hydraulic lifters ,are a dead give away ,my wife had a friend visit and when she started up to drive off ,i came out of the house and said shut it off you need to desperately check the oil
she looked puzzled ,i dipped the oil non on the stick ,it was an old Toyota corona ,the one with 2/3 of a Holden motor in it ,i must have put 4 litres in it before it showed on the stick ,she was totally amazed that i know ,that rattily sound from lifters without oil ,

Take this car somewhere and get them to check the oil level. It is now possibly considerably over full if you have been adding oil. If you can smell coolant, you need to get your mechanic to look for leaks (the reseviour will also need continuous top ups).

adding oil to a motor will never make a difference to the way it runs, unless its empty and the oil pump is running dry.

Agree that it should be checked - but it is unlikely to be overfull!

From what our friend Palo has told us, after noticing the low oil light coming on, he has added 1/2 litre of oil - just enough to stop the light coming on...

Agree that it should be checked - but it is unlikely to be overfull!

From what our friend Palo has told us, after noticing the low oil light coming on, he has added 1/2 litre of oil - just enough to stop the light coming on...

good grief..... Just check the damn dipstick!

Two of the girls clearly didn't store this information very well.
I explained to both of them (again) that if their cars suddenly start using lots of of oil and it's not suddenly blowing lots of smoke it must be leaking out.🤷‍♂️
People should be instructed in the proper use of the 710 handle and how to get at it, but EVs will make it go the way of the horse.

Dog owners could train their furry friend to be useful in this respect..

One thing worth noting - unless I'm mistaken, the dashboard oil light only indicates that there is oil pressure, not whether or not there is enough oil (for splash feed). They are two different things. I always keep an eye on the oil level by checking the dip stick from time to time.
There is a level indicator - on start up it should say "oil ok" or if low, the "ok" disappears and "oil" flashes. This should also bring on a message and "service" light.

The other scenario is if the sensor has detected a fault and it just says "oil _ _ _"

Personally, I think if a person is too scared to use the dipstick, then they should probably not be operating a motor vehicle.

There is a level indicator - on start up it should say "oil ok" or if low, the "ok" disappears and "oil" flashes. This should also bring on a message and "service" light.

The other scenario is if the sensor has detected a fault and it just says "oil _ _ _"

Personally, I think if a person is too scared to use the dipstick, then they should probably not be operating a motor vehicle.
10000000 percent

On the other hand, I know quite a few people who are too scared to lift the bonnet! They rely on everything being ship shape because the car is serviced regularly. With modern cars having oil level sensors, I don't know whether or not these same folk pay attention to what lights up on the dash.

As a retired banker, I'm here to tell you that various people have a huge difference in their understanding of financial (and banking) issues, and it doesn't really have much to do with nous. People are just wired up differently. In my past occupation, regardless of how fundamental the question is, you just do your best to assist.

Now now, remember here the wise words of Edmund Blackadder (the third) "I speak as one who is content to wear cotton without knowing how it works."

Wtf? Lol I don’t even know how to top up oil hence the thread but it’s sometimes instinct that save the day not always knowledge we cannot always rely on dash indicators sometimes they don’t come on
Firstly, dash oil light is NOT a reliable indicator of oil level - more a last resort.

Secondly, the reason people think this thread is a joke is due to your first question about how much oil to add to an engine. Oil sits in a sump at the bottom of the motor and it is impossible to tell how much is in there without using the dipstick. The dipstick is designed to be used by the owner, hence the colour on modern engines. If there is a quirk about it being used, that is something that would be addressed pretty quickly by the manufacturer!

There is an old urban legend about the "blonde" who filled her engine up with oil till she could see it at the top of the cap... No idea if it's a true story, but for anyone who knows anything about an engine, this story could not have ended well when the starter was hit. 😂

Is it unreasonable to think if a dash light came on you would consult the owners manual?

Manufacturers supply them with the vehicle to familiarise yourself with nearly all aspects about the car, especially warning lights on the dash and what they mean.

I think it is very reasonable to carry the owners manual on every single trip, after all who knows when these light will turn up? If you laminate every page, it'll even last longer!
The benefit of a forum is immediate answers or immediate telling of a similar experience it is also more interactive than the manual too

I think it is very reasonable to carry the owners manual on every single trip, after all who knows when these light will turn up? If you laminate every page, it'll even last longer!
I have a copy on my iPhone these days

I remember once I was with a friend in his rather new X5 trying to climb a small dune to get on the beach. The sand was deep and he had road tyres (of course) and every time we tried the transmission would go into limp mode and refuse to lock whatever it was supposed to so we would get stuck and had to reset it over and over. Until I remembered he had the manual in the glovebox and I also faintly remembered there was something in it about manually locking diffs and whatnot. Out it came and we went over the dune easily. He had no clue what to do and was ready to park the car and walk.

Correct in a way but most people just want a fridge.

I remember once I was with a friend in his rather new X5 trying to climb a small dune to get on the beach. The sand was deep and he had road tyres (of course) and every time we tried the transmission would go into limp mode and refuse to lock whatever it was supposed to so we would get stuck and had to reset it over and over. Until I remembered he had the manual in the glovebox and I also faintly remembered there was something in it about manually locking diffs and whatnot. Out it came and we went over the dune easily. He had no clue what to do and was ready to park the car and walk.
Ha. Ha. When in doubt read the instruction book eh? Over and over again it happens. I keep saying people want fridges on wheels. I'll bet they don't read the instruction book for their kitchen fridge either......

On topic ? reminds me of what were called idiot lights for temp,oil and charge. FE , FC Holdens had this , FJ had a light which would come on when overheating , problem for me way back then , was that unbeknowns to me , globe had blown leading to unfortunate results. In my 203 restoration I have grafted a 403 temp gauge with oil light combined into the spot on panel where originally was only an oil warning lamp. Much better than nothing at all for temp as was the case for 203 originally. If anyone interested send a PM and I will email photo of result.

On topic ? reminds me of what were called idiot lights for temp,oil and charge. FE , FC Holdens had this , FJ had a light which would come on when overheating , problem for me way back then , was that unbeknowns to me , globe had blown leading to unfortunate results. In my 203 restoration I have grafted a 403 temp gauge with oil light combined into the spot on panel where originally was only an oil warning lamp. Much better than nothing at all for temp as was the case for 203 originally. If anyone interested send a PM and I will email photo of result.
Nice. My preference is for a gauge and a light. I knew a very good engineer years ago who called gauges "worry meters" and I reckon he had a point. A big red light (like a DS Citroen) that comes on when anything goes wrong seems a good idea to me. Like our fridge, which beeps if we leave the door open. I don't need a temperature gauge on the fridge.

So for me as an enthusiast with a couple of dearly beloved older cars (older means over 50) I like my gauges. For most people who have cars for transport regardless of not liking them or driving, they are like fridges and should go properly and shout at them if they are ill. That's not a criticism and might explain Toyota sales.