What modem should i buy?

JoBo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
that performs well and has WiFi included? Also who is a good internet provider, we only need 50.
I know, an odd question on a car forum :unsure:
We are with OPTUS and have their SAGEMCOM F@AST 3864OP . Was told that it is locked to Optus. Optus cheesed us off so i'm thinking of changing internet provider.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

that performs well and has WiFi included? Also who is a good internet provider, we only need 50.
I know, an odd question on a car forum :unsure:
We are with OPTUS and have their SAGEMCOM F@AST 3864OP . Was told that it is locked to Optus. Optus cheesed us off so i'm thinking of changing internet provider.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated!
Telstra supply their proprietary smart modem. 4G backup (both hardware and fees) included.

WI fi connectivity is excellent.

Hi.

I use Aussie Broadband with their 25Mbps down, 10Mbps up FTTN. It does all we need it to do, stream Netflix, hold concurrent VC meetings, browse the internet and some emails. Unless your bandwidth needs are more than ours, I suggest you wont need any more bandwidth, will be just paying more for a service that you will rarely need.

I have used a few modem/routers. Currently in a D-Link DSL 3785. I'm not saying it is the "best" whatever that means, but it has been reliable for us.

Cheers.

TPG here. It’s fast and reliable. Most importantly, the bandwidth is always there during peak periods, unlike many others.

I would check out all the internet providers in your area and compare what plans they offer, some supply modems with their deal some charge extra.

Also what technology are you connected to at the moment?

I try to buy Australian - Netcomm makes a pretty good modem! This model offers the latest in 56K dial-up speed.

1649846681874.jpeg

But I suspect you want a WiFi router...

As stated, very important to know what connection you have. Recently announced changes to the NBN fibre to the node service have made most existing VDSL routers obsolete, which won't stop electronic shops selling them :eek:.

I used to think Netgear were OK, but from recent experience they can be quite flakey. D-Link usually need a firmware upgrade before they even work properly. If you want good security I would suggest Billion or Draytek routers.

Thank you to everyone for your input. Still mulling it over. Yes we do need WiFi (video door bell, cell phone linked with computer presumably works via WiFi?, Laptop and Tablet). Our old home phone is also via the Optus supplied Sagemcom F@ST 3864OP modem - phone only for 'old' calls. We don't need WiFi back up like the one offered by TELSTRA - if/when the internet drops out it's not a big deal as we don't run a business.

Ok another question are you on Optus mobile as well and do you use wifi talk for mobile coverage inside the house? If you change broadband provider you will lose your mobile coverage.

Turn off modern and see if you can send/receive text and make phone calls is a good test if you're not sure

I was going to post the same question today.....but about a FTTP modem / router. Seems like they're pretty expensive by comparison.

A new building has FTTP which we though would be great - it's not, because Turnbull basically stopped Telstra and Optus getting involved with FTTP for private residents you can't get a service through Telstra, or Optus, or one of their resellers. We're being forced to go to some unknown group of providers with names like NewAusFiber.com.au who can't spell fibre, and use a green and gold kangaroo as their mascot with the slogan 'Make Internet Great Again'......sigh and urgh in the one sentence. The cheapest plan with 12Mbps is $59 per month, plus connection, plus modem, plus will they still be there in 12 months time ?

Cheers

Justin

I was going to post the same question today.....but about a FTTP modem / router. Seems like they're pretty expensive by comparison.

A new building has FTTP which we though would be great - it's not, because Turnbull basically stopped Telstra and Optus getting involved with FTTP for private residents you can't get a service through Telstra, or Optus, or one of their resellers. We're being forced to go to some unknown group of providers with names like NewAusFiber.com.au who can't spell fibre, and use a green and gold kangaroo as their mascot with the slogan 'Make Internet Great Again'......sigh and urgh in the one sentence. The cheapest plan with 12Mbps is $59 per month, plus connection, plus modem, plus will they still be there in 12 months time ?

Cheers

Justin

This seems very strange! Because Armidale was a trial site we have FTTP for pretty much the whole city, and people here certainly use Telstra and other major providers.

Disclaimer - I live outside the town boundary so never got ADSL, & didn't get fibre to the premises either.

Fibre to the basement is quite common in Sydney flats- mostly via TPG hardware in my experience, who wholesale to the others. That is, you apply via your existing ISP in many cases. They install a small fibre-fed unit near the telephone frame, and the final run to each flat is the existing phone line.

This upgrades internet to these buildings economically, as only new high rises have the ability to fit fibre internally. Some have installed fibre and HFC on the outside, but it is very expensive and requires much penetration work and internal chasing.

The system uses VDSL and so most new modem-routers can handle it. Setup is not the same as ADSL, and can be confusing, so most ISPs will supply a preconfigured one.

Why TPG etc? Because the NBN fiddled and fooled, and the private company quickly solved a very difficult problem.. Sydney has a great deal of private carrier fibre available.

Last edited:
Hi seasink.

I wonder if it might be helpful, if you could prepare a brief outline for the forum with instructions to check the DNS configuration is correct / appropriate for their router and/or PC.

Since I changed my DNS configuration my browser has become much more responsive accessing new URL's.

Also I have now fully moved to Vivaldi as my default browser.

I'm with TPG on whatever their ultrafast plan is. But, the included wifi modem is functional, just not brilliant. I'm only in a 2 bedroom flat but it's an older 60's built thing so every wall is double brick. I have installed 2 additional Google mesh things to provide 100% connection throughout. Most provided modems are only adequate but they can work with things like mesh networks or extenders.

A side note, with TPG I rarely see my speed drop below 180mbps, normally sits at 200+ which is way more than an average house needs. Point is, TPG seem to reliable.

Re Whippet's post. He had a problem with slow loading of a number of websites. I described a simple way to time each aspect of a site connection and data flow, looking for the delay. The trouble was found to be in obtaining name server response. A modem DNS change fixed that.

If required I can post the test technique in a new thread, which is much easier for most people than using browser developers' tools, another way to get a result.

There is little speed difference between the major suppliers from their ends. The local distribution can affect you, and for most of us it is an NBN monopoly, no matter who you are with. As an example I have full speed HFC 24/7 - but there are very very few customers served by the particular amplifying unit a short distance away, caused by the road layout.

Re the modem: if you open an account with another ISP, wouldn't you just use the preconfigured modem they send? One or another may be better, or worse, but without comprehensive comparative testing, you wouldn't know anyway.

Re ISP: I have used Exetel for years. I am very happy with them. My experience has been that, if ever I have had to call them, the phone is answered promptly, and the issue addressed and solved.

If you *need* 50, you need it, but it might be worth considering whether you really do.

I'm just in the process of switching from NBN to 4G (because NBN gave me an unreliable connection in wet weather and technicians not interested in sorting it out). I bought a 4G VoLTE router which, with an ALDI SIM installed, replaces both broadband and home phone. Performance varies depending on local reception, but I get between 6 and 20 Mbps which is a big step up from the old ADSL, and it keeps on working when it rains.

There have been some quirks -- my router doesn't let me receive SMSs (no biggie); phone calls have sometimes gone through to voicemail without ringing the phone (disabling voicemail seems to have sorted that). I've only been trying this for a week, so there may be other oddities. I'm pretty happty with it and will soon give my old ISP the bad news.

As I said earlier, we’re with TPG. You need what ever modem your ISP provides, as that’s how they control the speed. We were on TPG 100 and were seeing speeds of 110-120. During first covid we upgraded to unlimited and speeds of 600-700 are common. My son never went back to the city after covid, thus works from home and we’re very heavy on usage. Given it’s tax deductible, I don’t mind paying the little bit extra.

For wifi, we have two Ubiquiti access points. I installed these first covid and have never regretted. With four adults working from home at one stage, the Netcomm couldn’t cope. The Ubiquiti also doubles as a nice night light!

Everyone’s needs differ. Just make sure you can scale up if required. Data has never been cheaper. Think about what you got for your money in 2000.