What engine?

Ropes said:
Ater a study of things, this is what the book says.
Up to eng. 6565353 it seems there is no scavenge pump. After 6565354, which it says is 1980, there is a scavenge pump.
My eng no. is 6568353, suggesting it's a later engine in a 79 build car.
It's quite correct when it says the main pump will be very noisy if the scavenge pump is not working. I haven't yet checked the pre-filter which causes the same symptoms apparently.

so long as a pump in a tank has not bieng subjected to low fuel levels it is rear that they will fail
they need fuel to keep them cool hence i have never run either of the 2 cars i have had with in tank pumps low
that is the 405 and the 306 which i have now
i do know that in the 504 TI's i have had when the filter starts getting blocked the pump gets noisey and if left the car will starve of fuel and miss
if you keep going the car will just stop
my father had this a few times in the early days before he realised what the problem was
all a pump in the tank does in something like your 604 is stop fuel surges when the fuel moves around in the tank away from the pick up
we had this problem in a scorpion we put injection on and instead of running and in tank pump we ran a surge tank just before the main pump
that cured all the fuel surge problems and we didn't have to pull the tank apart to put a pump in the tank

Some further info. The injected engine came with a manual tranny that was on-sold and the original auto reused. Between 7/89 and 7/94, the then owner spent over $13000 on it, after paying $7600 for it in '89 with no warranty and an estimated $2000 in repairs needed. The bloke that then bought it is the one that sold it to me in 1999. (From me he got a 1 owner mint condition '92 Mi16 with 40000k's. :( ) I've still got the original guarantee and service info up to 100000k for the 604.
Thankfully, it's much more reliable now.

pugrambo said:
so long as a pump in a tank has not bieng subjected to low fuel levels it is rear that they will fail ~all a pump in the tank does in something like your 604 is stop fuel surges when the fuel moves around in the tank away from the pick up ~we ran a surge tank just before the main pump
that cured all the fuel surge problems and we didn't have to pull the tank apart to put a pump in the tank

Probably when they swapped the motor in this 604, they shold have also swapped the fuel tank, as I bet the injected tanks had anti surge baffles. This sounds very similar to fuel starvation problems in Triumph TR6s from US (non injected) that are converted to PI in Australia.

Also the Bosch fuel pump is a 'pusher' type not a 'sucker' and it relies on having a primed supply of petrol to push on to the injection system. In the TR6s they use an additional small Facit solid-state pump to prime an extra large filter, like a big Telcamit filter (used on diesel trucks) in between the tank and the Bosch pump and this povides enough petrol & pressure to eliminate surge effect.

I think I may have a genuine 604 FI engine in the garage, how can I tell for sure??? Isnt the engine number on a small plate under the oil filter & hidden by the PS pump???

604 tragic said:
Probably when they swapped the motor in this 604, they shold have also swapped the fuel tank, as I bet the injected tanks had anti surge baffles. This sounds very similar to fuel starvation problems in Triumph TR6s from US (non injected) that are converted to PI in Australia.

Also the Bosch fuel pump is a 'pusher' type not a 'sucker' and it relies on having a primed supply of petrol to push on to the injection system. In the TR6s they use an additional small Facit solid-state pump to prime an extra large filter, like a big Telcamit filter (used on diesel trucks) in between the tank and the Bosch pump and this povides enough petrol & pressure to eliminate surge effect.

I think I may have a genuine 604 FI engine in the garage, how can I tell for sure??? Isnt the engine number on a small plate under the oil filter & hidden by the PS pump???

the engine number is on the left hand underside of the block on the 604's
put it this way it took 3 of us once 2 hours to find an engine number for the first time on a 604 block
if i get a chance i'll take a pic or scan a picture of where the engine number is
the number on the small plate is the serial number and has nothing to do with the engine number
if it is a 604 engine it will have next to the plate though a 112 or 140 stamped on it
i'd say more than likely you have a volvo motor sitting there as they are the same anyway
i tell you what
have a look at it and let me know how many belts can go on the crank pulley