What engine?

Ropes

Fellow Frogger
I've got a '79 604 with a fuel injected engine from what I believe to be a Volvo or Renault. The only info I can supply is the engine No. 6568353. Can anyone throw some light on it?

Does anyone know of a rear muffler that will fit that's cheaper than the exhaust suppliers quote?

Many hours of fascinating reading on this site.

Ropes said:
I've got a '79 604 with a fuel injected engine from what I believe to be a Volvo or Renault. The only info I can supply is the engine No. 6568353. Can anyone throw some light on it?

Does anyone know of a rear muffler that will fit that's cheaper than the exhaust suppliers quote?

Many hours of fascinating reading on this site.

if that is the number on the engine it will be a 604 block with volvo heads
or
that number is the chassis number
you sure it's a 79 ?
sounds very early
anyway any good rear muffler will do and you can run a single rear pipe
i have one here but you are a fair distance from here
BTW how are you finding the injection ? and is it manual or auto trans in it ?

pugrambo said:
if that is the number on the engine it will be a 604 block with volvo heads
or
that number is the chassis number
you sure it's a 79 ?
sounds very early
anyway any good rear muffler will do and you can run a single rear pipe
i have one here but you are a fair distance from here
BTW how are you finding the injection ? and is it manual or auto trans in it ?

'79 according to the VIN, '80 on the reg label. VIN is 604A336592573
The Eng.No.6568353 is what's on the Reg. label. Also has SN 0377311. From what I know of the cars history, it had an engine transplant. I've got a folder somewhere with its complete history - receipts etc. Have moved a couple of times and it's packed away somewhere. There wasn't much info on exactly what engine went in, but after hours on the web, it looks like it must be a B27F volvo donk.
The motor runs perfectly and uses no oil. The speedo shows 265k but I suspect the engine has done less. I've had it for 4 years and only done 20k although it's used every day.
The interior has been completely redone (peugeot cloth seats) and there is very little rust (rear wheel arches and a small amount near sunroof)
Finances don't permit fixing the rust or the noisy fuel pump. It's a new pump but mechanic reckons the tank pump must be crook.
They're not the most nimble car around, especially after the Mi16 (bought new in '92 sold with 40k up in '99) but it gets the wife and I around to our various medical appointments. :D
The economy is surprisingly good - 15/100 in town and 10/100 on a trip.
It's auto BTW.

Last edited:
that's a very early engine
maybe an import engine but i'd have to check what numbers the volvos had but i am sure they had a different numbering system
i have an injection set here including heads that i am going to put on the 604 here one day
we have a 6/78 model 604 6579765 just to give you an idea

I'll have to find that folder and see if there's any further info.

Ropes said:
I'll have to find that folder and see if there's any further info.

how do you find it on the road besides the boat type ride and roll
keeps up fairly well to most cars on the road
what sort of speed are you sitting on out of town for 10/100

Rarely leave town. Usually sit on 100-110. Can't be bothered pushing it anymore and risking a financial penalty. The previous owner said he cruised at 130 or so and did it easily. He lived out of town a bit and travelled the back roads.

Ropes said:
Rarely leave town. Usually sit on 100-110. Can't be bothered pushing it anymore and risking a financial penalty. The previous owner said he cruised at 130 or so and did it easily. He lived out of town a bit and travelled the back roads.

do you know what diff ratio is in the car ?

After more checking, it seems it's probably a genuine injected 604 engine.
The identification No. on the block is 140. What a bugger of a place to put numbers. Still can't locate the receipt folder, damn it.
No info on the diff ratio yet - crawling under cars is not one of my talents.
The rear shockers are red, though I couldn't see what brand.

Ropes said:
After more checking, it seems it's probably a genuine injected 604 engine.
The identification No. on the block is 140. What a bugger of a place to put numbers. Still can't locate the receipt folder, damn it.
No info on the diff ratio yet - crawling under cars is not one of my talents.
The rear shockers are red, though I couldn't see what brand.

140 ID is definately a pug injected engine
i had a feeling it may have been an imported one
the engine number itself probably won't be on the engine though i hope you realise
for some reason the french had a funny habit of just putting a sticker on the engines for the numbers and the cars we had here were stamped underneath the car right at the back of the block near the bellhousing
the engine number you have is probably the one from the car that gave it's motor up for yours
i have seen a couple of V6's now that don't have any numbers on them once you remove the sticker or the plate that is riveted onto the block
neither of which are allowed here and seeing as the engine number is where it is most people will take your word for it that it is there
i had one person at a registry office that asked to see the engine number and i told her where it was, she said i'll believe you and walked back in the builiding and handed me the finished paperwork
sitting at 100km/h how many revs is the car doing ?

100kph is 3000rpm. 4000rpm is an indicated 130kph. I haven't checked speedo for accuracy..
Tyres are 195 70R 14 MXVA3'S.

It does get off the line rather sharpish - especially as the accelerator cable is a bit sticky.

Ropes said:
It does get off the line rather sharpish - especially as the accelerator cable is a bit sticky.

sounds like a 3.7 diff in the car
if you changed it to a 3.58 you may find fuel usage a bit better again
but you will be a bit slower off the mark but the auto will compensate for that

Economy isn't really important as I'd do less than 5000 a year. Only left town once in the last year and that was a 95k run.
More important to save up and replace the scavenger pump and hope that shuts up the main pump (which is new).

Ropes said:
Economy isn't really important as I'd do less than 5000 a year. Only left town once in the last year and that was a 95k run.
More important to save up and replace the scavenger pump and hope that shuts up the main pump (which is new).

are you talking about the pump in the tank ?
as far as i know the injected 604's never had a pump in the tank
the only pump they had was an external pump coupled to an accumulator to maintain fuel pressure
if the car has a pump in the tank someone must have pulled the tank apart to get it in there

The injected 604's certainly did have a tank pump. Details are in the workshop manual for the 140 engine.

Ropes said:
The injected 604's certainly did have a tank pump. Details are in the workshop manual for the 140 engine.

i'll have to take your word on that
i just dug my book out and can't find reference to the in tank pump anywhere in it
it only has the pre filter, then the pump then accumulator then another filter and that's it

Ater a study of things, this is what the book says.
Up to eng. 6565353 it seems there is no scavenge pump. After 6565354, which it says is 1980, there is a scavenge pump.
My eng no. is 6568353, suggesting it's a later engine in a 79 build car.
It's quite correct when it says the main pump will be very noisy if the scavenge pump is not working. I haven't yet checked the pre-filter which causes the same symptoms apparently.

The engine number is still on the engine. It's on the opposite side to the "140" number.

Last edited: