Wanted a Fuego Power Steering Rack

The rod guys are converting their cars to Electronic Power Steering
Apparently a Prius one is a great candidate
You keep the original rack but splice in an EPS system by shortening the steering column
Hi Driven,
Interesting thread as I am intending to go down this path. Having had both non and PS Fuegos a long time ago. I actually got rid of my PS Fuego because it cost me more in professional 'repairs' that never worked than the cost of the car itself - and yes, I'm kicking myself now.
Now I have a non-PS Fuego I'm likely to go the EPS route, so do you have any more info about the 'Rod Guys' conversion you mentioned?
Ta, Tickets.

^ that sounds like a job for Dave and co at French Connection. @Shoji ask them if they want to collect it and part it out, and sell you the rack?
Aaaww don’t know if Dave would take anything that old now,besides my son bought it as a rolling shell 25 odd years ago from him,dunno if he buys boomerangs…jim

I actually think that power steering on the Fugeo is too light. I think I prefer the manual steering.

Hi Driven,
Interesting thread as I am intending to go down this path. Having had both non and PS Fuegos a long time ago. I actually got rid of my PS Fuego because it cost me more in professional 'repairs' that never worked than the cost of the car itself - and yes, I'm kicking myself now.
Now I have a non-PS Fuego I'm likely to go the EPS route, so do you have any more info about the 'Rod Guys' conversion you mentioned?
Ta, Tickets.
Castlemaine Rod Shop the best there is

I have driven my power steer car with the belt off the pump and it is only hard at parking speed. Other than that its fine. I would put a manual steering rack on if I had one.

I have driven my power steer car with the belt off the pump and it is only hard at parking speed. Other than that its fine. I would put a manual steering rack on if I had one.
On the TRX tyres the weight of the manual steering was fine. But on a nose heavy under steery car that was a riot to scandi flick on dirt roads, the manual steer was way too slow :)

Id start with the obvious and see how you can fenanglle a Clio column in...

1699588930745.png

But youre still got a slow manual rack.... Id still be looking at a Clio Sport hydraulic rack and an Astra pump.

Still no room. Alan may have a rack from a Fuego for me.
But if there are others out there gathering dust I'm interested as I may need spares to rebuild
Couple of Astras here in the west being wrecked but they want an arm and a leg for the elec pumps. $280

While i have this R17 apart, why not look at other things. Elec aircon pump also interest me. I have the period underdash cabin unit I got from fireblade. Just don't want the compressor hanging off the motor.

I’d have a manual one only. But it’s free if you want to take it out of a wreck in country Victoria

There are racks with the motor on the rack itself…

1700110859967.jpeg

Shoji, this R17 has the motor mounted under the dash, I’m sure it looks better from above!

Reactions: COL