Wanted a Fuego Power Steering Rack

They are about 2 inches narrower than one off a 20. I'll go look at the part numbers. I guess you want a power steering one not a manual steer from early Fuego.

The rod guys are converting their cars to Electronic Power Steering
Apparently a Prius one is a great candidate
You keep the original rack but splice in an EPS system by shortening the steering column

Attachments

• eps.jpg
    eps.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 52
You keep the original rack but splice in an EPS system by shortening the steering column
Having done the conversion - I'd look at this........

However, if you're going to do it anyway - look at an electric hydraulic pump ala Ford Focus.......

Yes would like to go the bolt in power rack from a Fuego and yes use an electric pump.
No room at all with the R17 column. Done the home work. Even with a micro motor DIY. Easy to add another rack

Anyone with the part number?

From what I can tell there are 5 possible part numbers for Australian 1363 GTX manual models.

All start 7701......

463 019
349 283
351 087
461 429
462 140
I think my reading of the parts manual is right, but will accept a correction if one is offered.
Mostly changed between early model power steering and late model. The pumps are the same as some GMH and Ford to some time in the 90's But pulley size and off set may vary. The pulleys are a real bugger to remove I even bought the correct puller with no luck. Ended up using an angle grinder and drilling out the shaft. I still cannot get the one off my new pump. I will have to do it soon though as I have a borrowed pump that I need to return soon. The pulley is a shrink fit only. The power steer pressure hose may run at between 700 - 900 PSI if my memory is correct and is a 5/8 imperial thread the drain back hose is just light weight and it has no real pressure. The steering shaft is different to a manual steering rack. An R20 power steering pump runs at about 450 - 550 PSI. Pump replacement seals are available for GM or Ford. I did get a rack rebuild kit for a Fuego but it was the last one and was specially got from a manufacturer. The company has now removed Fuego from their list of power steering parts. The pressure release valve is easily removed and could be put into the higher pressure GM pump. Not sure what pressure the Fuego runs at but guess same as R20.

Thanks SunRoof!

But the seller is playing hardball. He won't give the part number until I pay for it and then if it's wrong I have to cancel the order.
The pic is only one and it could be anything.

Who's wrecking a Fuego out there?

Shoj, I have Dialogys and could look it up there for you if you give me full details on the two Renaut ID plates(stickers) and it should give a definitive answer. But that will only work for the original rack fitted at the factory.
BUT I am very busy currently and that program is a PITA to use so it needs some time to spend on it. It is the worst program I have used and i am not good with it. I think it will go that far back but have never used it for something that old !
PM me the details if you do not want to put them here.
jaahn

Shoj, I have Dialogys and could look it up there for you if you give me full details on the two Renaut ID plates(stickers) and it should give a definitive answer. But that will only work for the original rack fitted at the factory.
BUT I am very busy currently and that program is a PITA to use so it needs some time to spend on it. It is the worst program I have used and i am not good with it. I think it will go that far back but have never used it for something that old !
PM me the details if you do not want to put them here.
jaahn
Lol, your making me feel older. :censored:

You still want a power steer rack though for the ratio... But I wonder if a (electric steer) Clio rack could be made to fit...

Thanks SunRoof!

But the seller is playing hardball. He won't give the part number until I pay for it and then if it's wrong I have to cancel the order.

Careful...sounds a bit scammy...why would the seller not reveal the part#?

As mentioned Haakon, It's just harder and really no room when you look at it. I have the column out and the pedals are part of this. The fuse board is under as is the heater box. major mod to the column would change it and may engineer it wrong!!

As mentioned Haakon, It's just harder and really no room when you look at it. I have the column out and the pedals are part of this. The fuse board is under as is the heater box. major mod to the column would change it and may engineer it wrong!!
fair enough. its been a long time since i spent any quality time under a Fuego dash :) Wonder if a Clio Sport hydraulic rack could be adapted then...

If I was converting a non power steer Fuego and had to go with hydraulic, probably use an Astra or Mazda 3 electric pump.

Thanks SunRoof!

We are but there is already dibs on the power steer rack. And if we had two I'd take the other.

Thanks SunRoof!

Umm,got eldest sons 2.2 rusty fuego here which he wants to get rid of but don’t think he wants to part it out,has power steering…the old distance problem again john….jim

^ that sounds like a job for Dave and co at French Connection. @Shoji ask them if they want to collect it and part it out, and sell you the rack?