Want to buy R25

You did? Where is it now....
Sold it to French Car Care with quite a few spare bits inside, last seen sitting under a tree rusting. When sold it was going well except for the speedo. SWMBO didn't like the lack of the speedo, pretty average upholstery, and a slightly different coloured bonnet. Too busy on the farm to rectify these issues and so a high milage but immaculate, 10 year younger, Fairmont replaced it. That to was a nice car soft ride etc, but wasn't as "sporting" as the 25 on the road.

Sold it to French Car Care with quite a few spare bits inside, last seen sitting under a tree rusting. When sold it was going well except for the speedo. SWMBO didn't like the lack of the speedo, pretty average upholstery, and a slightly different coloured bonnet. Too busy on the farm to rectify these issues and so a high milage but immaculate, 10 year younger, Fairmont replaced it. That to was a nice car soft ride etc, but wasn't as "sporting" as the 25 on the road.
Practicable and sensible, that Fairmont....

Thanks for all the replies. That is good and bad and I'm not sure how things average out.

I went to have a look on Saturday and as mentioned by you.

1) Speedo faulty
2) Internal vent fan faulty, so I could not check aircon nor vent movement to feet or screen etc.
3) Radio comes on but no sound, could be that it was not set to a station because I noticed that the owner uses one of those quick release battery terminals and disconnects the battery when the car is garaged.
4) Screen washer water level light stays on.
5) Engine light stays on.

The car drives well and the gearbox is smooth and kick-back good. Tyres are new, battery is new. Body is very good so is the upholstery. Rear windows slow to move but that is lubrication. Voice is telling me that all systems are good.

Could get it for around $2.5k.

Does that change what you said or feel about the car???

Regards, Frans.

I get emotional about cars and therefore do not think with my head so I am not the best person to ask. However I take it the "voice" never told you why the engine light was on. Or even mentioned that it was. The radio probably needs a code input once the battery was reconnected. Only the engine light would worry me. The aircon also perhaps. The voice was always spot on on my car. I will sit on the fence, sorry.

Thanks for all the replies. That is good and bad and I'm not sure how things average out.

1) Speedo faulty
2) Internal vent fan faulty, so I could not check aircon nor vent movement to feet or screen etc.
3) Radio comes on but no sound, could be that it was not set to a station because I noticed that the owner uses one of those quick release battery terminals and disconnects the battery when the car is garaged.

The car drives well and the gearbox is smooth and kick-back good. Tyres are new, battery is new. Body is very good so is the upholstery. Rear windows slow to move but that is lubrication. Voice is telling me that all systems are good.

Regards, Frans.
Sounds like a very nice 25 with some as-expected things. I'd say it depends how much fiddling around you are up for or how many non-functional things you are prepared to put up with! :) The body and fittings are good, that's really nice. Trim is an issue with all that generation of Renaults.
I get emotional about cars and therefore do not think with my head so I am not the best person to ask. However I take it the "voice" never told you why the engine light was on. Or even mentioned that it was. The radio probably needs a code input once the battery was reconnected. Only the engine light would worry me. The aircon also perhaps. The voice was always spot on on my car. I will sit on the fence, sorry.
Great and correct answer. I did the same with different words!! I reckon the R25 is a truly great car, not without some flaws in detail. As a big hatchback, the only thing to match it is the almost perfect Citroen Xantia, also a larger hatchback. PSA got it right with the Xantia, full stop, with almost nothing wrong at all. I know which of the two I'd go for - rather fix old cracking rubber return lines than rather older first generation electronics... But of course Frans isn't asking about a Xantia.

Shame you are so far away Frans, I have an XR25 (Renault factory diagnostic computer) here that you could use to determine the more worrying faults

1) Speedo faulty

Regards, Frans.
Why do you want to buy an old R25 dud?
No speedo no RWC
Engine light always on, easy fix take out globe
Paying $2400 too much
Have to save you from long term grief

Not once, but twice I believed all the talking up that everyone gives the R25, and I ended up with a R25 manual.

In spite of the first one being a half decent car (with an atrocious bog and spray job) it soon ended up parked in the paddock permanently. If it wasn’t this it was that and the never ending series of problems just became too much in the end.
Add to that my concerns about crash safety and the 80’s low roof with very little headroom, and I start disagreeing with all these people who say it is a great car. I simply don’t agree ...it is a shithouse car now. Might have been OK in 1988, but that is 32 years ago.
Sure it cruises well, and drives Ok, but that’s about it. My Laguna 1 drove better, was safer, cruised better, fitted more stuff in the boot, looked better didn’t nag me about shit that wasn’t broken etc etc etc..

The second R25 I rescued for some weird sense of nostalgia I could hardly give away and it was not a bad example.

Paying $2.5k seems absurd when there is probably only one buyer out there....YOU!!!

Jo

$2400 is a bit optimistic. maybe $600 to an enthusiast prepared to do the work. I loved mine but the problems have been well canvassed here. I too got expert in pulling the dash apart - down from 3 hours first time to 20 minutes!

$2400 is a bit optimistic. maybe $600 to an enthusiast prepared to do the work. I loved mine but the problems have been well canvassed here. I too got expert in pulling the dash apart - down from 3 hours first time to 20 minutes!
Well, there's a skill to envy.... :)

This was actually on behalf of my son that wanted to buy it but he decided against it.

So the deal is off.

Thanks for all the comments!!

So the deal is off.
:headbanger" woohoo. He can use his grief on woman instead!!

Keenly awaiting the seller to get sniff of this thread and give the nay-sayers a spray!!

Jo