Vintage radiator rejuvenation

What about that descaling product - CLB?
I can’t recall, but the name has three letters in it.

You mean CLR? It's the biggest con job since Fairlie Arrow and not even worth considering but thanks for the input KB :)

To close out this mini thread re cleaning an old radiator core. After considered advise and some experimenting I can say that Vinegar and Caustic both clean out radiator passages nicely. The passages in this 80 year old core are mostly clean and free of scale, not show quality perhaps but t'was an easy process none the less.

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5613.JPG

Is that hole at the bottom for the hand crank?

I would have suggested first caustic, then acid because the caustic solution will take any greasy stuff out as well whereas the acid won't. Using caustic after acid might encounter complex compounds that won't dissolve in the caustic solution either. You also have to wash the casutic very well if used last because it will continue to attack whatever comes into contact with it. To be perfectly sure now that you've done it the wrong way around, I would suggest you get yourself one of those paper pH testing thingos to check the pH of your coolant when you put the rad in service. Cheap insurance.

Not sure where to find it easier than that, maybe Chemists?

I think I have a PH kit here somewhere.

Yes the hole is for a crank handle in case the Prius chooses not to proceed.

It's a huge leap of faith when you take to a perfectly good honey comb core with a hole saw :eek: but all's well that ends well..

IMG_5485.JPG

Reactions: COL
I wait for this straight eight Prius with anticipation :evil: ;) 🤣

Will the above radiator be sufficient for the mighty straight eight? :evil: :headbanger"