Vintage radiator rejuvenation

56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Fellow frog Dudes. I am repairing an old radiator and have run into a problem. It has a honeycomb core and cannot be rodded because the passages aren't straight but hither and dither. Before I finish it off I would like to pickle it in something that will remove decades of rust, scale and any secret brews that might have been in the system. The foils in the core are very thin and wouldn't take much abuse. Any suggestions of a cleaning method or chemical that would loosen up la crud?

IMG_3931.JPG

Fellow frog Dudes. I am repairing an old radiator and have run into a problem. It has a honeycomb core and cannot be rodded because the passages aren't straight but hither and dither. Before I finish it off I would like to pickle it in something that will remove decades of rust, scale and any secret brews that might have been in the system. The foils in the core are very thin and wouldn't take much abuse. Any suggestions of a cleaning method or chemical that would loosen up la crud?

View attachment 201648
what would you reckon to baking soda in hot water with a little aeration from air compressor.?…jim

Gday Jim, yes to baking soda I'll try it in a bath before I reassemble everything so I can tell if it made a difference. Then I could give it another go after assembly. Pity I couldn't rod it.

Hi Graham,

I've used Marine Clean, to clean all sorts gunk, when restoring the 404.
As the label states, it can be used on boiler tubes, so I would assume it should work on the radiator tubes.

marine clean.jpg marine  2.jpg

marine 3.jpg

Cheers,

Dano

Reactions: COL
Thanks Dan I reckon that product wouldn't be too hard to find. I'll add it to the list of possibilities.

Have you very carefully measured flow rates through it for more than one driving head so as to have a baseline set of data?

This isn't totally relevant but my 2013 test of water pump flow rate vs rpm.

The engine lid was a heritage item with all the dirt from 1967 to 2013 but I foolishly replaced it with another during painting. :(

Water pump test rig at 15 L per min.jpg

Well no I haven't but then again I am not a geologist, just a humble radiator repair man. I'll start with the baking soda and work from there. Unlike your well patina'd engine lid I really need to get the core as clean as possible.

Agree re cleaning. Just be interesting to see whether you can actually measure a flow rate difference. Probably easier said than done as it'll have a pretty high flow rate I guess.

A very long soak in molasses will clean rust. Vinegar can make a start on scale. Neither when washed away will permanently harm the metal.

The flow rate is all academic as far as I am concerned, I just need to do the best job of cleaning I can. The end result of cleaning will be what it will be. I'll first need to find a suitable receptacle for cleaning, yes I have already tried to fit it in the dishwasher, to no avail. Doing an internet trawl I can see many peeps have tried to clean up dirty cooling systems and there isn't any magic potion other than simple detergents, soda etc. Perhaps I need to visit my nearest nursing home and ask an old woman for a suitable potion, they know everything. :approve:

Last edited:
As a side topic there is a crowd in Brisbane who make brand new honeycomb cores, check it out, you might need a cupa.

sunshine radiators in Murwillumbah do these rads all the time iv seen a Roles Royce honeycomb rad being re cored there ,ring them up and ask them what they use ,they are down to earth and approachable, ask for bob ,i use some product on my Expo Bar coffee machine that de calcifies the boiler ,maybe you could try that ,

they could even quote on a re core ,for you, i dont know how they faired in the flood, although they are inside the levey so a lot better than most , id expect

As a side topic there is a crowd in Brisbane who make brand new honeycomb cores, check it out, you might need a cupa.

Hi. thanks for posting, that was interesting viewing to see the old machinery that had been restored in use making new cores.

Cheers.

My pleasure Whippet. It's a small miracle the machinery and people who can use it haven't been lost to time and disinterest. I suppose as long as there are peeps who continue to tinker and/or restore old cars the guys above might stay around a bit longer.

A very long soak in molasses will clean rust. Vinegar can make a start on scale. Neither when washed away will permanently harm the metal.
Vinegar works on rust also. I would follow vinegar with a soak in baking soda to neutralise.

Yeah, just tabulating all the ideas from the brains trust. My intention is to build a suitable wooden trough from MDF and line it with builders plastic to form a suitable sized tub. Then using vinegar, soda and some compressed air to blow the liquid through the passages while submerged. I reckon that will work. I can't see any sign of oil in the passages just dry scale, so that will be a good starting point. I'll try and remember to video said procedure.