Ultimate 807 build

F1 engines are something else all together. Tolerances so tight they're locked solid at room temperature and need to be heated so they can be turned over and started.

OEMs have to design for pretty extreme conditions, cold cranking in -40 to the A/C working properly while doing 200km/h in 50c. That's why a stock crank in a Barra can take 1000hp.

Not all cool technology is allowed in F1.
Check this out.
https://youtu.be/uhsgdwUX1-w

Sent from my SM-G973F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Seen that. My point was F1 has come up with most of the stuff we all have today basically for peanuts, even if one or two things are not allowed in F1.

Another point was that N/A you can't hope to go above a certain power limit already achieved in some form by your very 807 (with stuff off the shelf or not).

So what's left? Like I said - turbo and/or supercharging. Some turbo work has been done already it seems, perhaps more modern technology than that available when the Fuego Turbo was built might improve numbers a bit. Which leaves supercharging. Not sure about 807, but I think Brett R here has supercharged an engine (might have been a Nissan though), put all sorts of fancy stuff and went bonkers. Nice, great job, but not much was off the shelf and he has some serious machining possibilities.

Well, if one has machining possibilities, why not do as I said? Start from scratch, do it all from the ground up!

Or at the very least, one could make their own DOHC head (after all, the block and rest is just a glorified bracket to hold all sorts of bits and pieces together in the right relative position to each other - the head is the tricky bit)! How hard can it be? I thought about this for a long time myself. I know nothing about casting, but there are people around who are doing great stuff (see olfoundryman on utube). But I thought, what if you just machined the whole damn thing out of billet Aluminium? Yeah, I know, you can't machine the coolant passages, so what? Split the head in two slices, machine all the internal cooling and whatnot needed, then mate the two and bolt them together! Sure, it's not the cheap way to go about it, or maybe the best way, but it is the one available to me. Two chunks of Aluminium whatever grade are not that much and I can (theoretically) do all my machining (if I get a bigger mill, that is).

Point is, this is in the realm of people who already have the machining equipment and the skills. Like Brett.

Yet, he didn't do it. He didn't make an engine from scratch.

Why not? Maybe he'll tell us, maybe not. I would hazard a guess, it's because it makes little sense when you can have a whole bunch of engines delivering whatever you want in whatever flavour you want it.

I like it more when people like Frans come up with their own take on modifying engines on a shoestring and with mix and match bits and pieces from god knows what, modified (or not) to suit his own idea rather than buying the off the shelf kit. It's always interesting to see what he's going to come up with next. Better than a thriller. I think Frans should have a channel on Youtube with his work, might compete with another kiwi who's restoring his old crusty Land Rover and has some serious popularity because of his original take on everything, which I think Frans has too.

Last edited:
Well design my own 16V head it is then!

Need a DOHC with 89mm bore spacing.

Be nice to be able to base it off something in production, that way cams and valvetrains can be borrowed rather than designed from scratch.

Fortunately I have at my disposal the CAD for every head of the last 20 years from a rather large car manufacturer. I'll keep you posted......Oh, here's one at 87mmm

Well design my own 16V head it is then!

Need a DOHC with 89mm bore spacing.

Be nice to be able to base it off something in production, that way cams and valvetrains can be borrowed rather than designed from scratch.

Fortunately I have at my disposal the CAD for every head of the last 20 years from a rather large car manufacturer. I'll keep you posted......Oh, here's one at 87mmm

There's so many engines and heads I am sure something exists that would fit straight on in that respect, head bolt location and other gubbins notwithstanding.

As for inspiration for a good design, I always thought (if we're talking mass market) Peugeot/Renault/Honda/Yamaha (possibly others) are very good with head design. There's of course exotics or semi exotics (say Cossworth) but why worry about them when you've got too much choice already? Never thought of it, but what's the spacing on PSA XU9/XU10 engines?

Yes! it was also in the 21? (which we didn't get either?)

I feel like i looked for one a 2.2L 505 GTI engine at some point :S

Last edited:
Since we're all set on an 807 block and we're currently worrying about whats going to fit on the top, should we consider what's bolting on the end?
Do we go for the "easy" option of getting a CAD drawing of a hybrid 807 to UN1 bell housing and throwing a block of billet in a CNC, or the same concept to fit a 6 speed sequential transaxle? I mean money isn't a concern in a hypothetical build.

Nah just grab a manual 5sp from a Porsche 928

Since we're all set on an 807 block and we're currently worrying about whats going to fit on the top, should we consider what's bolting on the end?
Do we go for the "easy" option of getting a CAD drawing of a hybrid 807 to UN1 bell housing and throwing a block of billet in a CNC, or the same concept to fit a 6 speed sequential transaxle? I mean money isn't a concern in a hypothetical build.

Funny you say that. I just watched an entire series on youtube showing how a clutch bellhousing was CNC machined out of billet Alu. Took five days. Let's see if I can find it.

Last edited:
F3 car I found on Facebook. Wonder what's under that rocker cover? Where are the plugs? Gearbox could probably take some power, might not be much fun in traffic though.
0712db6d5649bb57cfd5cc3da1ca6469.jpg
64fcf16ea9d2b29c39db28634430b174.jpg
19bd94b587b057d10bb8635b2531461d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

F3 car I found on Facebook. Wonder what's under that rocker cover? Where are the plugs? Gearbox could probably take some power, might not be much fun in traffic though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
This look like the "Douvrin/J-series" engine? Plugs are on the side, just above the inlet manifold. The rocker arm assembly are under that rocker cover.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using aussiefrogs mobile app

My dad used a couple of these engine for ages in his beat up R8 racecar. So it looked a bit familiar. Not as near as good looking as the one on the pictures though. Wonder where it is possible to get that rocker cover?

My dad used a couple of these engine for ages in his beat up R8 racecar. So it looked a bit familiar. Not as near as good looking as the one on the pictures though. Wonder where it is possible to get that rocker cover?
Hi R8RX :)
You cannot make a statement like that without some backup :(
Photos please :)
Jaahn

Hi R8RX :)
You cannot make a statement like that without some backup :(
Photos please :)
Jaahn
Hi jaahn :)

A picture of his engine is possible when the next opportunity comes :) But the rest of the car is sadly not much to take a picture of :( It was retired a few years ago and have been tucked away in his backyard.

Haakon,
This is a Classic Engine we are talking about,
Not a piece of Korean Junk the can't go more that 350km with out a charge. They are very fast off the line, but if you drive it flat out for 3 hours it just stops and you need a petrol or diesel ute with a petrol generator on the back to come and charge you up again. Have a look at Formula E they have a 1.5Hr race and pit half way to change cars. Get real .....

Ray