Ultimate 807 build

wBJrLsf.jpg
Did you see Mighty Car Mods's Turbo Yoda's cameo on the last(?) Project Binky when they announced they were going naturally aspirated? Not happy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I haven't forgotten your engine Bustamif. I'm fascinated by it. You had to increase the bore spacings to get that cylinder bore in? How does that go aligning to the head? Are the rods offset in the pistons too?

Brettr8's whole build is epic. Does anyone know of any other forced induction 807s? Maybe @bazzamac can share details of his Fuego turbo.

I often look at the big empty space in the RHS of my engine bay and wonder what I could fit in there......

The head lines up OK and the Mecaparts head gasket produced for the really big bore works fine. The biggest challenge was the hole created through each end of the block when the block is bored out to fit the liners. After the first block was welded and then line bored to fit the crank it cracked so we used another method on the next block to add material, strengthen the block and weld the holes. More machining is needed to get the block all straight and flat after the welding distortion.

Each rod is matched to a specific piston and liner from flywheel end in a sequence. The liners are a special material and a design similar to the old F1 engines. The liner is thicker at the combustion end with a taper which provides a wide seal area on he head gasket however that means the pistons have to be installed from the crankshaft side.

Now that we have good reliability, the next stage is to do more work on the valve sizes, a more aggressive camshaft and further exhaust tuning.

Although it runs a twin plate AP racing clutch, the amount of torque now requires a heavier pressure plate. Lucky they make a big range of pressure plates for those racing clutches.

The head lines up OK and the Mecaparts head gasket produced for the really big bore works fine. The biggest challenge was the hole created through each end of the block when the block is bored out to fit the liners. After the first block was welded and then line bored to fit the crank it cracked so we used another method on the next block to add material, strengthen the block and weld the holes. More machining is needed to get the block all straight and flat after the welding distortion.

Each rod is matched to a specific piston and liner from flywheel end in a sequence. The liners are a special material and a design similar to the old F1 engines. The liner is thicker at the combustion end with a taper which provides a wide seal area on he head gasket however that means the pistons have to be installed from the crankshaft side.

Now that we have good reliability, the next stage is to do more work on the valve sizes, a more aggressive camshaft and further exhaust tuning.

Although it runs a twin plate AP racing clutch, the amount of torque now requires a heavier pressure plate. Lucky they make a big range of pressure plates for those racing clutches.
Check out the link in post #46, they fitted bigger valves, and had to change the angle of them to get them in. Didn't see what the actual sizes were that they got in.

Check out the link in post #46, they fitted bigger valves, and had to change the angle of them to get them in. Didn't see what the actual sizes were that they got in.

That is a great link. There is a lot to be gained in the head, valves and valve train.

I remember there was an 807 powered Formula 2 car run by Mike Stack in Australia back in the day with some success against VW Golf powered cars. There were many other engine manufacturers represented with extensive modifications allowed, provided it ran on carbs. The guy who did all the machining and engine development on that 807 engine established Argo custom rods.

Just remembered this one from mid 1980's driven by Chris Ahee. It has an 807 engine with turbo in a prototype sports car called a Sirch running in the Australian Sports car Championship. I spoke to a guy at the Bathurst 12 hr this year who said it is in numerous parts in boxes in a shed somewhere.

The photo below was taken by me at the Oran Park round, the second run for the car. You can see the turbo charger at the top of the photo. The intercooler is at the bottom of the pic. The turbo blew through a pair of 45 DCOE carbs, pre EFI and no internet in those days, unless you had a contact in NASA.

TRIF58F.jpg

Last edited:
oh no the link is dead. you can't tease us like this! :p

<thread hijack>

Forget the turbo, that suspension, under bump, that entire wheel is going to rotate over an arch, upwards and inwards? I,e the contact patch is going to change, in effect, resulting in positive camber? I suppose the degree of movement is actually limited so the contact isn't going to change that much?

I can't see it!!!! Oh, wait, now I can.

Now I want to find that shed......

Bowie, you are correct, the topic is 807 engines not suspension. There are probably a few threads on suspensions.

May I suggest you do some research on race car suspension, particularly double wishbone, rocker arm spring control. The object of race car suspension geometry is to keep very big wide tyres in perfect contact with the road. There will be no positive camber, I believe the rocker arm spring control in the photograph about the engine is confusing you.

Bowie, I thougth the same at first, it looks like a big solid rocker but that big flat triangle is the upper control arm. You can see the drive shaft and lower control arm underneath it and the same on the other side, so a standard double a arm

Info on the Sirch is a bit had to find. A google tends to come up with some guy driving a blue 911.....

My spelling of his name was incorrect, it should have been Ayhee. Somewhere in my files I have a couple of other photos of the car showing the rear view with the turbo 807 and rear suspension.

I had a few drives during the 80's. Apart from the Porsche in the Sports Car Championship I drove the ex Niki Lauda/Ronnie Petersen BMW in the GT Series, a TR7 in the Pro-Am series and a 351 Falcon in the Bathurst 1000. The Falcon blew an engine in qualifying.

I remember there was an 807 powered Formula 2 car run by Mike Stack in Australia back in the day with some success against VW Golf powered cars. [...]

I bought a 807 Formula 2 engine from a guy in Sydney way back in perhaps the 90's - can't remember the exact year or his name but he picked me up from the airport in a Skyline Silhouette.

He said he'd blown it up more times than I'd had hot dinners. I asked him why and he told me it was from trying to keep up with the Golfs.
I wonder if it was the same guy.

That would have to be him because there was only one car running an 807 in the Australian F2 Championship. It was a very high level of competition and I remember they were always developing new ideas with heaps of 807 engines. They always had one on the engine dyno, at least one for testing, a hand grenade for qualifying and one for racing. The hand grenade engine ran around 9,800 with some tricks involving custom cam and cam bearing designs to stop the cam from flexing at big revs. It never sounded like a normal 807 Renault engine, more like a four valve Cosworth engine.

My spelling of his name was incorrect, it should have been Ayhee. Somewhere in my files I have a couple of other photos of the car showing the rear view with the turbo 807 and rear suspension.

I had a few drives during the 80's. Apart from the Porsche in the Sports Car Championship I drove the ex Niki Lauda/Ronnie Petersen BMW in the GT Series, a TR7 in the Pro-Am series and a 351 Falcon in the Bathurst 1000. The Falcon blew an engine in qualifying.
Hi Bustimif :)
Quite an exciting history there :)
The reason the Falcon blew the engine it had a 'Windsor' engine !!:( :)
jaahn

You're right Jaahn, the really fast,reliable ones used lots of Chev engine parts but don't tell any Ford supporters:chase:

That would have to be him because there was only one car running an 807 in the Australian F2 Championship.

Well, there ya go . .

The engine is interesting but I haven't run it or even taken any measurements.
The head has a coolant inlet (or maybe it's an outlet) on the timing end and it looks to have a water passage opened up that isn't open in a R16TS head. Perhaps the coolant flow direction has been changed. It ran a remote water pump. The combustion chambers have nearly all the squish ridge removed and some pretty deep valve relief pockets in the pistons.

The end of the cam was cut off and a Mallory dizzy is driven directly from the end of the cam where the cam nose piece usually resides.
It has triple valve springs installed and I noticed that, probably because the cam had been ground a few times, there are a couple of tappets hitting the lands between the lobes. I wondered if that was something that went unnoticed and contributed to a couple of failures.

I have a Europa, so the engine interested me even though it's obviously too hot for a road car. Got a fair amount of spare bits as well - three cranks, a nice small Sachs clutch that should be usable with a spacer to accept a 'normal' disc. Also included were two exhaust systems and a genuine Renault Sport alloy dry sump & oil tank etc.
If I had the time again, I probably have bought the Hewland gearbox as well.