Two new racecars in NZ

I think that eliminating the weak spot built in the gearbox you are going to shift around the weak spot and stress some of the more expensive stuff as you call it. Frankly I am surprised you didn't destroy the final drive/crownwheel. That's what went in my 365. Perhaps you are indeed pushing the limit of what the gerabox was designed for and an entirely new approach is needed.

Upside is that you now know you have a really powerful engine.

Are there any options for a racing box for the little R8G? You know, perhaps from people like Hewland?

NZ racers..

More info that went missing with the Big Fall last year.

Unfortunately it will be a locked diff with the spindle. What is eliminated here is the weak spot on these gearboxes and that is the output shaft of the diff. ie where the u-joint goes on. It looks like they have been deliberately made the weak spot (the box's shearing pin) to protect the rest of the more expensive stuff.

With a locked diff even more stress is placed on these. Johan and myself has developed these (it is not a new thing) and used a very special steel that can be hardened and remains flexible. The supplier proudly boasted that it is the same as used in the Aussie V8 side shafts. German Bohler steel.

Follow the pictures and you will see how it works and what it replaces.

Regards
Frans

Frans,
Coming from someone who knows little.
Could a more compact CV joint be adapted instead of the "Hookes" type ?:2cents:

Hi All,

Engine out, gearbox out, gearbox opened and I noticed that both output shafts were off. You will notice that it is like a clean cut. From the ones I have seen it always looks like this. That would be because of the locked diff. If the one let go the power is transfered to the other and it snaps as well. Would not be like this on an open diff.

The spindle is in and the gearbox is now being closed up. I don't have that much time because Sunday 4th September is the next racing day. I hope all gets together fault free and I don;t need to open it up during the week.

Regards
Frans.

Looks a lot like one of my planet gears did on a R8 gearbox on a G engine. Wonderfull machining these little cars can do.... :rolleyes:

What Box ??

Hi Frans,

What gearbox are you running in your race car, a 353 5 speed I would presume ?? And I presume that is for the ratios ?? Do you use all the ratios during a race ??

Thanks,

Schlitzaugen, You are right but I think and hope that the weak spot now moves to the u-joint that can be easily replaced. I still have the hollow crosses in and not solids. Racing box? I am sure that is beyond the budget.

Wildebeest, what is a Hookes type?

Geckoeng, they are like hens teeth capped in gold. I have a stock 4 speed 330 from an R10. I get to use 2nd, 3rd, 4th while racing.

Gearbox is now fixed, closed up, in the car, engine in, road test done and all looks good. Roll on Sunday!

Regards
Frans.

Frans,

Let me know if you want anything modeled up and drawings produced.

Heath

Schlitzaugen, You are right but I think and hope that the weak spot now moves to the u-joint that can be easily replaced. I still have the hollow crosses in and not solids. Racing box? I am sure that is beyond the budget.

Geckoeng, they are like hens teeth capped in gold. I have a stock 4 speed 330 from an R10. I get to use 2nd, 3rd, 4th while racing.

Gearbox is now fixed, closed up, in the car, engine in, road test done and all looks good. Roll on Sunday!

Regards
Frans.

I was going to suggest exactly that, deliberately creating a weak spot so you protect the unobtainable 353. Now, of course, if you don't need 5th gear you have the option of racing a "normal" four speeder 'box.

Destroying the 353 might actually prove more expensive than buying a racing 'box, I imagine.

Went racing today and had a good time all day. It was unofficial for me and Johan so we had a good play. Our series starts the 24th & 25th September so it was just a shake down.

Gearbox behaved well and pushing the limits I actually got wheelspin with the slicks on.

Red mist was at the order of the day with one 360 spin and the other a lock up that sent me into the greens with the first race but I behaved with the other two races. I do have these mishaps on incar cam but for some reason the picture and the sound is completely out of sync. I don't know why.

Johan had his first outing with his new exhaust and had some good times. He reduced his best of 1:29 to a 1:27.5sec.

Will update as time goes on.
Regards
Frans

Racing is on this weekend. It is the start of the new season and the event is called the " Ice Breaker". It is the start for many other classes as well and they are:
1) Arrow Wheels Sports & GT Challenge......... Very fast saloons
2) Historics/Formula Junior...........Old single seaters
3) AES TradeZone Series..........Thats our group
4) Super Historics / Sports Cars............Faster single seaters and Lotus 7's
5) Castrol BMW Open..............fast BMW
6) Historic Formula Ford...........You will know
7) Alfa Romeo Trofeo Series............All Alfa
8) Castrol BMW E30 Group 1...........All bmw E30
9) Historic Saloons...........??
10) Apparelmaster Classic Trial...............Classics on road tyres as regularity laps
11) Castrol BMW E30 Group 2..........All BMW

As you can see, there will be many events and it will be a full weekend.

We hope for a good season this year.
I haven't done anything to the engine so hopefully it will be OK. As mentioned the gearbox was done and it should be OK. The "16TS inners in the R8 Casing box" will be a fairly high priority project and I would like to have it ready early next year for our event at Pukekohe. It is a long straights track and is actually a high horsepower track.

Below is a list of entries in our class only as at Monday.

Wish us luck and I will report back on Monday next week.

Regards
Frans

Attachments

• Entries.jpg
    Entries.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 490
A wide range of cars. Best of luck there are some big ones for you to go up against. I always get the impression that your regs are more easy going than those in Aust. Go Reno.

Hi,
Well, the ice has been broken and the season has started. It wasn't a "super" opening for me and I didn't have good dices but all went well overall.

On the first race I qualified 11th and again took a few cars on acceleration but because they are quicker than me they eventually pass me again. Well all of them did except one because I finished
10th. During the last few laps I was losing power and where I normally hit the rev limiter 3/4 way down the straight I couldn't achieve that anymore and I barely got to the shiftlight.

Back in the pits I started fault finding at the Plugs and found no 4 has burnt away. It had me worried because it was the coldest plugs available. NGK's B9ES. Then I did my normal checks and later I noticed the source of my problems. I was so glad to see that the TPS bracket broke off and it was dangling in the engine compartment. That meant that the info to the Megajolt was wrong and that the throttle remained "closed". That caused the Megajolt to advance the timing to 50 degrees at 7000rpm. So the car was detonating all the way and luckily the plug gave way and not the valve or piston. So I went home and made a heavier bracket than before because this was a lucky escape. I fitted it the next morning and all returned to normal.

On Sunday morning the racing started in the rain and ended in the rain the afternoon. It did give me some advantage over the big horse power cars and I managed a 7th and 8th. Apart from the advantage I have I dislike the wet track. It is not that demanding on the car either.

The gearbox behaved well and so did I. No spins but a few good slides because of the big brakes. It is very important to get the brake balance back to about the 1.2:1 ratio. I had to use the gearbox more to assist in the braking and then you have the possibility of over revving when gearing down. A lot more to distract your concentration.

I will have a look at the incar camera and if it is any good I will put it on Youtube and post the link.

Johan was sick with the flu and withdrew from the weekend.

Regards
Frans.

Schlitzaugen,

<snip>
<ssnip>
Regards
Frans.

A Hooke joint is the usual sort of universal joint as in tail-shafts, the inner end of an R8 & so on. Named after Sir Robert Hooke, a 17th Century scientist who invented it. (Usually not called a 'Hookes joint' even if the possessive apostrophe were to be inserted; 'Hooke' is used adjectivally.) As I understand things, it has some drawbacks as it varies in rotational speed with angularity.

cheers! Peter

Hi,

I have uploaded the last race on Youtube. There is nothing really exciting in it and it was just a normal race day.

You can see that I get into the shift light about halfway on the straight and at about 5mins into the video the car starts loosing power until I could not even get to the shiftlight at the end of the straight. That was when the TPS fell off.

This is the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/aspaai

Regards
Frans

W'beest, good suggestion the CV joint replacement.

I think Frans would need to look into this because of the locked diff he has now.

This is now common knowledge in the world of R/C cars I frequent. Some time in the last couple of years most racers discovered that having a front spool (locked diff) is better for hard acceleration out of corners (these are 4WD cars). Immediately a problem became apparent. Because there was no longer any slip in the diff (we used ball diffs before) everybody had driveshaft chatter and premature failure of the outer universal joint, so manufacturers who had just jumped on the spool bandwagon had to replace the Hooke type universal driveshafts in their kits with proper double-articulated CV joints which cured the problem.

Interesting that the little ones has similar issues as the big ones. Just a correction, I have always had a locked diff.

Attached is the positions as we finished that race.

Regards
Frans.

Attachments

• Entries1.jpg
    Entries1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 403