Tool Talk

My long departed dad, a plumber, bought one of that tools earlier incantations and relegated it to the back of the shed. But, you never know, it's a slightly different design and it might just work.

My father bought a set at a field day. They are heavy, thick, clunky and just not nice to use. They might be all right on a pipe but that's about it. I do have a high quality version of the design, about 400 mm long, and its one advantage over other pipe wrenches is that it is spring-loaded and you can use it one-handed.

Roger

probably still are Peter, got three myself, smallest is approx. 400ml in length, largest is a two handed job.
these things seem to replace every spanner you ever had or needed and I'm in serious down size mode atm. 21 acres to 1 bedroom so you can appreciate my dilemma.
I only ever believe tool ads I see on the ABC, insert funny here, so a bit dubious as to how FANTASTIC these things really are.
It's the smaller sizes I'd be interested in. 7 to 14mm for handy use and proposed restoration of push bike.
I still have the tin of BSA tools me ole da taught me with, so will be ok if the cone tightening thing still occurs :)

cheers

ed

I am wondering what the seller is "gripping". Non specific size "bolt and nut destroyers" have been around for ever. Basic physics, suggests to me, that a tool that applies force to all sides simultaneously will always work better and maintain the integrity of the nut or bolt too. IMO best use of the tool is probably, in vehicle application, as a defence against road rage attackers.

Agreed. Always good to have a few of such things around, as once in a while they have just the right shape for some odd thing in an awkward place. Known in the past as "nut ****ers", they range from really good steel to complete junk in my experience.

I have one of the earlier versions which is useful sometimes but only where you don't mind damage on the item. For example, it's not bad for rounded off nuts, but really its only advantage over things like Mole grips is the ratcheting effect if you have a lot of turns to do.

THE WRENCH WITH THE GRIP THAT WON'T SLIP!

https://branddevelopers.com.au/shop/the-renovator-better-grip

you guys have probably covered these but what was the verdict? swipe left or right?

thanks

ed

Edge I have a couple of similar ones for use as pipe wrenches, different manufacturer and also an old Rolls Royce branded one that comes in handy when you come across that bigger bolt you want to stop from turning - just odd tools I have collected over the years.

Handy things to have around, then there are the Grip 300 locking wrenches and they are handy too. You can never have enough tools especially if you find them or inherit them...

My father bought a set at a field day. They are heavy, thick, clunky and just not nice to use. They might be all right on a pipe but that's about it. I do have a high quality version of the design, about 400 mm long, and its one advantage over other pipe wrenches is that it is spring-loaded and you can use it one-handed.

Roger

My handiest one sounds like yours Roger, it is spring loaded and of quality steel and design and it does not slip once carefully turned while the grippers bed into the pipe.

The jaws aren't far removed from the jaws on a basin wrench, essential for working on the hex union nuts and olive nuts under basins.

But lacking the right angle articulation.

Most basins use flex lines these days and they seal when the hex nut is tightened by hand.

Even flex fitting nuts get tight with age, if they achieve old age; they do burst. Some basins make even finger tightening difficult as well. High grade work doesn't use them. No tradesman would last long without a basin wrench, and the jaws work against the points, not the flats.

Copper is being replaced with PE
Hand formed connections in copper are being replaced by flexible hoses
There is no pride of work, and on site plumbers are often apprentices.
The old tradesmen are dying out or sitting in the office collecting money.
The name of game is now speed, and making a dollar.

Blame the builders who screw everything down to minimum cost.

Isn't that why brazed copper replaced threaded steel pipe? :) Then those nipple joints partly replaced brazing, then......

Not arguing, but it is part of a continuum of change I think.

Even flex fitting nuts get tight with age, if they achieve old age; they do burst. Some basins make even finger tightening difficult as well. High grade work doesn't use them. No tradesman would last long without a basin wrench, and the jaws work against the points, not the flats.

For those interested this is what a basin spanner looks like:

basin 01.jpg

basin 02.jpg

Mine has a shaped bottom jaw, more like the spanners discussed earlier. It also has a telescoping handle.