THP 1.6 engine rattle on startup

So if you think about it it’s over due for a can chain [emoji848]

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

It's going I'm Friday to work out what the issue is.

I've been advised to ensure the whole thing gets done. Timing chain, tensioner, bolts, guides and while the engine is apart the water pump also.
If anyone can advise

Yes you need to do all that for the chain but the water pump isn’t part of the job and if it’s a metal one it’s fine .

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Thanks for everyone's help.

Mechanic called me this morning and said it is intact the timing chain. They also seemed to know about the revised part etc etc so I feel as though it's in good hands.

Now I need to wait until Monday to make sure the insurance company approves the repair so I'm not out of pocket.

I suppose will be a bit hard to get the water pump done because once they open the engine up and determine what's in there, it'll take too long to order one. And obviously don't want to order one and find out it's not necessary. Doesn't seem to be broken but once the repair is approved I'll ask them about water pump condition and pay for thus out of my pocket to get done same time

The most recent part numbers for important improved parts should be:
9816058580 Tensioner
9816058680 Top guide with a steel bracket.
9822827180 Chain with a hole in each roller.
You are not likely to get these if buying aftermarket kits.

The water pump is a independent job to the chain it is driven off the acc belt

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The car is such a pain in the ass. Normally timing chain repairs seem to be 1500 give or take. 3 quotes now all 2600 and that's if they don't find other issues with the car along the way.

Whether fixed or not I'll probably sell it. After only 4-5 weeks having the car I've already understood why Peugeots have the reputation they do. as much as I loved the car I realise I'm better off going Japanese again, probably an s15

Whatever should have inspected the car correctly before purchasing

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

There's nothig cheap about mechanical repairs on Japaneses cars either, including Nissans.

There's nothig cheap about mechanical repairs on Japaneses cars either, including Nissans.

So true. On my Nissan Maxima J32 2.5 litre VQ25DE V6, spark plug replacement was quoted at $380.00. So I did it myself. Cost of sparkies = $120.00.

Last edited:
Well I'm just hoping the insurance claim comes through and the car is fixed. Was pretty frustrated initially but if i can get it done I'll probably keep it and do basics like cooler and exhaust.

Gonna run the Subaru Upper Cylinder Cleaner through twice before oil.change straight after the timing chain.

The obd2 cable I used it last week, LTFT was 9.38. So timing is out a little?

The car is such a pain in the ass. Normally timing chain repairs seem to be 1500 give or take. 3 quotes now all 2600 and that's if they don't find other issues with the car along the way.

Whether fixed or not I'll probably sell it. After only 4-5 weeks having the car I've already understood why Peugeots have the reputation they do. as much as I loved the car I realise I'm better off going Japanese again, probably an s15

Hehe! So you had a small bump and you went back to your old belief on Peugeots? :roflmao:

It's there anything in this physical life that doesn't have positives and negatives sides, including every human? You think its all bread and butter with Japanese cars? :D

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

I'm a fence sitter on this one.

The RCZ 2015 THP200 has had it's high pressure fuel pump replaced at 37,000.
That's it. The Prince 1.6 engine was taken on by Peugeot when BMW announced it would end its relationship. Pug improved the Prince into what is now a very reliable engine. The 280 bhp they got out of the engine for the RCZ-R THP280, was history making for a 1.6 litre engine. From 2013 onwards, the Prince has been reliable.

The French Tart THP150 however. Phew! What a relationship.
2009 model - now 140,000.
Generation 1 Prince engine. Me - Test pilot. So I know about Prince engines.

Apart from wear items - tyres, brakes and one clutch kit, with a meticulous fluid maintenance program, sparks changed every 28,000, the others include:

Timing chain kit replacement
ABS/Brake pump device - now that's a story - refer below.
Steering rack
Shock absorbers/dampers
Turbo
Intercooler
Roof latches
Internal switches
All five major engine sensors
Clean intake ports to remove carbon from valve stems
O2 sensors
Turbo intake pipe
Coils
Water pump & pulleys (3 times, until they got rid of the plastic ones)
all internal radio speakers
et. al.

I might add that the electric/hydraulic roof mechanism has never missed a beat. I believe that they brought the control of the 207cc roof design in-house, as a vast improvement over the 206cc. The mechanism has been described as 'air-craft hydraulic std.' ?

attachment.php

However, I love them both.

And I do have a private Pug mechanic that has done great work on the THP150, like cam chain replacement, turbo replacement, various sensor replacements, folding roof problem fixed, ABSCPU pump replacement, (now that's a story to get that part). Pug Oz wanted $4,200 for a new one.

See story:

RE: 207cc Sport ABS Pump & CPU. (note: same as 207 GTi)

Yes and the whole unit spat the dummy. Peugeot Oz wanted $4,200.00 for a new one!

I bought a reconditioned unit from eBay UK. ($950.00) It arrived and I had it fitted to find out it was also faulty.
icon_cry.gif

So I looked for anyone in Oz to do a rebuild and there is no one who wanted to touch it. However, there was a company in the UK that did recons. So I sent it back to the UK, and they advised me that it was totally stuffed.

Meanwhile I had kept the original seller informed as to what I was doing. He told me to get the recon guys to bin it and he would get me a 'brand new' one from a mate of his. I had been chatting to this seller and he warmed to me and said he didn't want to refund, he would get me a new one for the same amount. I said I'd pay for the freight.

Three days later he got back to me and said he had secured a brand new unit - from a mate of his in Eastern Europe - Ukraine. Off the back of a truck? I didn't ask any questions.

He had to repackage it to make out it was used so I did not incur a tax hit.

Unit arrived, and was fitted. Worked. When I picked up the French Tart, both the Service Manager and mechanic came out to ask me where I got the ABS unit from. They told me that it was brand new but was not sourced from Oz, due to its serial number. I told them the story (loosely) and they wanted to know where they could get a few cheap ones for other clients. They said there are too many 207's driving around with the ABS light on, and owners won't fork out the four grand to fix.

All is well.

Yet another story in the wild international chase for Pug parts. Took about three months all up, but I saved $3,000.00

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

I purchased a full timing chain kit from eBay (UK) for $499.00 and my Pug mechanic charged me $500.00 to fit it. That's sub $1,000

Yes the early 207 high spec cars had a nightmarish time with the esp units peugeot did extend the warranty on those if you ended being luck and have it fail early.
Don’t know how they would have know it’s origin from the serial number though.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

After 5-6 mechanics quoting me 2500+ I finally found a local mechanic to do the job for 1300. Very happy and booked for late May.
Tim Maher off this forum was also very helpful and knowledgeable.
Will keep this posted!

Make sure the mechanic is used to this engine (Peugeot, Citroen, Mini, BMW) as the job requires a special cam setting tool as well as immobilising pins. Setting the tensioner is also a fiddle, recommended to be done using a dummy.

All instructions can be downloaded from servicebox.