Those weird old citroens

... but will it run??? :)

As crazy as it sounds I think it will.

id19.jpg

It sure did take some work to get it into the shed. I've had enough of working on cars out in the paddock ... or laying on gravel :) I must be getting old! I found a registration label on the other wreck when I wound up one of the windows. Last registered in 1978. Looking at both cars, I'm guessing sitting in a paddock for 40years would be about right.

They didn't promote the onboard petroleum based liquid rust prevention qualities afforded by LHM and the bi modal systemic distribution network.
It seems to have an inbuilt refreshing mode as well utilising both passive gravity and a higher pressure energised system for distribution and penetration.
Xantias took the philosophy even further with a dedicated driver's floor rust prevention program distributed by the brake master valve body.

They didn't promote the onboard petroleum based liquid rust prevention qualities afforded by LHM and the bi modal systemic distribution network.
It seems to have an inbuilt refreshing mode as well utilising both passive gravity and a higher pressure energised system for distribution and penetration.
Xantias took the philosophy even further with a dedicated driver's floor rust prevention program distributed by the brake master valve body.

Not this one ..... it meters out paint paint stripping brake fluid ....

motor.jpg

I wonder what the chances of getting these recessed spark plugs out is if they have been in there for 40+years.... and the scuttle plug isnt in on No 4. Fun and games for sure :dance:

Gees Shane what a great idea you had to share all this. You are dedicated and like to share your knowledge and experience. Hard won experience from the school of hard knocks. Thanks for sharing all this with a new generation(and oldies too). :approve:;)

Like I said elsewhere about a forum, it is like having a chat with the other members, about these great old cars. Tres bon !! ;)
Jaahn

PS the 'new' hoist is earning its keep for sure !

I believe the reason they kept quiet was fear of litigation from the British over patent infringement on their similar engine/gearbox/diff based system.

Oh, this car isn't a restoration. I was going to grab the bottom end out of this motor. But seeing how intact it all is, I'm going to try and get it running and see if its any good. If its ok, I'll plug the lot straight in. I'm starting to think the car doesn't have a huge amount of milage on it. How do I check the gearbox for a good 2nd gear synchro without driving it though 🤔 🤔 When I winched it onto the trailer down in Geelong, I put it into gear and pulled it with the winch, and the engine did move, so its not frozen.... and least my father said the fan moved ... The other parts car just locked both front wheels the engine is so seized. Infact to move it both driveshafts were cut through with a 9" grinder. It was stuck in a gear, so without a forklift we couldn't really move it.

Shane, I have but one question! WHY?

I'm after the bottom end out of its motor.... However after getting it here, I think the entire motor may well be ok. Guess how long it took me just to get the spark plugs out of it :clown:

Unless you saw it with your own eyes, you wouldn't believe how much effort is involved in moving a dead hydraulic citroen around even just the same yard, let alone any distance!

Last edited:
Is the roof panel any good for your 63?

The roof rails in both cars are probably exceptional. Every late DS owner will want these. The '63 already has the best aluminium roof I've ever seen :) (most have the crimp on metal edge rotted away!). This one is probably fixable, but its corroded away above the drivers door for a small section.

It took me over an hour to get the spark plugs out, and nearly 15minutes to get the rocker cover off (no exageration). Look what I found under it though

rocker_cover.jpg

Its just mind blowing. This motor has probably been sitting for 45years.... and its spotless here. There appears to little to no wear in the valve gear too. It'll be interesting to see if it runs ..... When I get that far along.

I originally intended to just tear the motor out and drop its sump to see what the bottom end was like. Now I'm intending to see if I can drive it around the paddock. Its the only way I can think of to see what the gearbox is like.... and verify the motor is ok.

Remarkable! That encourages me to have a crack at the pommy straight 6 I've got in an Austin A90. It's only been sitting for about 26 years (and it's under cover).

What were you doing down the side of the motor, after tightening loose coil connections, and prior to it starting? Did you have the dizzie clamp loose enough that you could adjust the timing on the fly?

Remarkable! That encourages me to have a crack at the pommy straight 6 I've got in an Austin A90. It's only been sitting for about 26 years (and it's under cover).

What were you doing down the side of the motor, after tightening loose coil connections, and prior to it starting? Did you have the dizzie clamp loose enough that you could adjust the timing on the fly?
Yeah I realised as soon as it was running what I'd done, I'd set the timing statically at the point where the points closed (rather than opened). If I'd looked down there with a light when I was setting the timing, I would have seen I was on the wrong side of the dizzie cam.

Using the timing hole like I did should have given me a 100% accurate timing at the factory specs ..... but I messed up by not looking at what I was doing. It was instantly obvious as the motor hit back against the starter (ie: the timing was massively over-advanced). I need to rotate all the leads around one spot on the cap and rotate the dizzie around a bit so I can do up the back clip that holds the cap on (as its tight up against the block).

Now I know the motor seems .... well amazingly good I'll see if I can get a 5minute drive around the yard to see if the gearbox has a good 2nd gear synchro (I'm thinking it might be as good as the motor). I'm still just amazed how clean inside that motor is.

I really was expecting this to be a frozen, caked up worn out bit of junk. That I could just tear the bottom end out of.