The Red Mi16

I have a series 2 Mi16 with the 2lt that is currently being turned into a race car, however time and space are starting to get to the project so I might have to let it go. It has the downpipe but would much rather sell the car whole then part it out. Drop me a line if you are interested

Sorry Valentia, I had to act, so went and bought the parts to fabricate one. I would have much rather just bought one!

Heath Robinson

I'm afraid this project is becoming a bit Heath Robinson. I had planned to run four LS2 coils. However I can only find three of the four coils! The backup plan is the late XU coil pack. I'll make a mounting plate tomorrow and get some leads made.

Attachments

• Si coil pack.jpg
    Si coil pack.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 703
The other problem is the harness is missing too! The XU coil pack will get it going until I can find the other bits.

There's no room on the side. The PAS pulley and thermo housing take up the space. There's plenty of tapped holes in the cam cover for a mounting plate. I'll just get four leads made up, identical length, which I can re-use for the LS2 coils later.

Peter,

thanks for your help yesterday, the Rat's fans appear to be running fine now.

BIGRR

Ignition is sorted. Coil pack mounted with home made Mi16-Si custom leads.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348812752.920902.jpg

Added a second ignitor to fire the coils. In this case they're Bosch 008 intelligent ignitors so I don't have to worry about dwell times. I also added the cam position sensor. It's not needed for the ignition as it's wasted spark. It does allow me run sequential fuel injection however.

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 473
The Exhaust

Making the downpipe was epic. I wanted to retain the divider so that added complications. In the end I'm happy with the result as it allows me to swap 1.9L and 2.0L engines easily having the flange.

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 435
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
The big red bitch is finally on its wheels. I'm taking a few days off to recover before tackling the last bit of wiring and cooling hose issues.

If anyone is considering dropping a complete XU10J4 into a 1.9L Mi16 my advice is don't. There are just many hidden differences it's just not worth the hassle. A 1.9 head on 2L block is easy however.

It will be a good daily driver however.

I finally have it going. Well, mostly. It's been an epic journey. I could write a page on the things that need to be addressed if installing an XU10J4 into an XU9J4 Mi16. The motor itself is fantastic. Thank you to the previous owners who have looked after it. The major issue at present is the coil pack/leads and its position. One of my home made leads is bit dodgy and the coil is too close to the wiring loom. Look in the picture above. The signal from the TDC sensor is getting interference from the coil, indicated by missing trigger pulses in the software. It's a chicken/egg situation. Not sure which is coming first, but I suspect the dodgy lead is causing the interference.

I've made good progress in the last few days. I've moved the coil away from the harness and made a new ignition lead. I also binned the old map and started fresh using a wideband sensor and the quicktune feature. You just create a map with the desired AFR's (in lambda) then hit the Q key every time you want to map it. The ECU compares the desired lambda with the actual lambda and makes the necessary adjustment to the injection time. It's so easy for one person to tune a car on the road at light-medium loads. Full loads at higher RPM's are still tricky!

It's so easy for one person to tune a car on the road at light-medium loads. Full loads at higher RPM's are still tricky!

Got a tow bar???
A heavy trailer helps heaps.

Jo

Ah yes, I'd forgotten you're an autotune man.

Alternatively, how good is your handbrake.:D

Jo

IMG_0298.jpg
A Hyasung GTR 650 (LAMS). He's doing a stay upright course next weekend and being in the Army, won't be riding it much in the next 3 months. It rides ok, maybe a tad too hard on the wrists for an old bloke however. It has re-lit the fire in me however. I've always wanted a Ducati.......
I pulled off the clipons, milled up some bar risers, trimmed the fairing and put on some comfortable bars, us old dudes can ride comfortably all day. Your son might not be too happy though.

I drove this car to Orange and back over the New Year weekend. It pulled a somewhat impressive 39mpg. Not bad considering the run up Bells Line, then 100-110.