The Red Mi16

PeterT

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This Mi16 has had more lives than a cat. We originally bought it from a seller in ACT, with no engine or gearbox. Sorry, I can't recall who it was now! My son drove it for a few years with an engine we'd previously built for another Mi16 he'd previously rolled. Unfortunately it spun a bearing. It was a bits and pieces engine anyway, so all that was saved from the engine was the head and sump. Possibly the crank.

My plan was to drop the engine from the Mi16x4 into this so (a) I had something to drive and (b) to move it so the Mi16x4 can take its spot. It was too much work to get that going, so AdrianW kindly offered me an XU10J4R. I went down that route for a while. So far in fact, that it's in. As the exhaust didn't match up, I decided to scrap that idea and build an XU10J4 for it:

The Crank:
This is 88mm Mi16 crank from the blow up. It was already -0.3 on both mains and rod journals. Mains are fine but the rods need work. After recently discovering ACL do 0.5 and 0.8 undersize, it may be salvageable. It's at the shop now.

The Head:
I had some spare 36.5mm inlet valves, so they're currently being fitted into a spare head.

The Block:
It's from an S2 Mi16 and has oversize pistons. It's currently being decked and cleaned.

If all goes to plan, it should be a nice 2.1L engine for the Mi16.

Delayed somewhat! The head is still waiting in the queue at RAMS, although they have assured me it should be ready this coming week. The crank didn't clean up at 0.8mm undersize. So I either have to use an 86mm crank, which I have plenty of, or look for another 88mm crank. In the meantime, my son bought a new m/bike so I've been enjoying riding that.

A Hyasung GTR 650 (LAMS). He's doing a stay upright course next weekend and being in the Army, won't be riding it much in the next 3 months. It rides ok, maybe a tad too hard on the wrists for an old bloke however. It has re-lit the fire in me however. I've always wanted a Ducati.......

Remember the golden rule, keep the sunny side up and the greasy side down.

Modern dukes dont have the exhaust note they did in late 70's early 80's, which imo was the best in the business

Yes, I know that Conti sound. But what should I do? Buy a something like a 749 or 998? Or something older like a Pantah 600? The 900SS is way out of my budget.

But didn't the old ones had cursed electrics. I am sure the new ones are great. I have been off bikes for long time. I could not stick to the golden rule. I can drive, but cant ride.

After a lengthy delay I'm back on the case. A 2L Mi16 engine came up for sale over the weekend (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?99729) which was too good to ignore. I'm unsure of its history, but it was on ebay a few months ago. I've put the other engine on hold for now and plan to drop this one in for the time being. It's more work than I expected however. It will need mods to the exhaust, power steering, ignition, inlet manifold........and so it goes on, in order for it to work in a 1.9L car.

First job was a comp test. It came up very strong, but unknown exactly as my poor old gauge won't hold pressure. I thought I may have been able to sell the four coils. But when I got there the cupboard was bare! Oh well. The inlet ports are very clean suggesting it recently had head work. Oil is also super clean and no there are no signs of corrosion on the water fittings.

Next task is to remove unnecessary plumbing. As with 1.9L engines, these also have a heater matrix bypass. I had to remove the thermo housing. What a mess of silastic. Typical bozo mechanic job. It's lucky the silastic didn't block off the oil return all together. I removed the barb and drilled/tapped for a 1/2" BSP bung. I also TIG'd up the other end on the water distribution block.

IMG_1068.jpgIMG_1069.jpgIMG_1070.jpgIMG_1071.jpg

PeterT
Should you need to replace the barb I'm sure the Falcon 6 alloy heads have a replacement, possibly 1/2 BSP thread?
Or, an internal hex bung would make for a pro job. But you knew that.
You're right about the sealant used, what a mess.:mad:

A downgrade?

The pull type clutch is coming off, replaced with a 1.9L push clutch.

Attachments

• pull clutch.jpg
    pull clutch.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,513
I swapped the cams over and added seals. The inlet is a Stage I from a 1.9L with the timing tang pressed on. Note how the seal had to go on first. The exhaust is a standard 1.9L cam. Doing this enables me to run the 1.9L power steer pump and do away with the vacuum pump.

Attachments

• cam seals.jpg
    cam seals.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,139
I still need to find a 2L Mi16 downpipe. These are the flanges I have at hand. Top is 1.9L Mi16/205, middle is XU10J4R and bottom is XU10J4. You can see the XU10J4 has a wider bolt spacing and a larger OD downpipe - 67mm rather than 60mm.

Attachments

• exhaust flanges.jpg
    exhaust flanges.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 500
The pull type clutch is coming off, replaced with a 1.9L push clutch.

Just wondering whats required in doing this? I'm contemplating doing the same to my series 2. Do you just change the bellhousing and the cable, or the fork and cable?

Cheers Chris

What is the reasoning behind ditching the pull type clutch? I thought that the whole point of the pull types was that they were stronger than the traditional push type??? I will say that getting the release forks in is a PITA though ;)

Tony.

I think the earlier mi16 clutch just feels better. It's much smoother and you don't get as much jerking when you take off. And it's so much easier to do a gearbox change!

Pull type has more mechanical advantage, thus pedal effort is less. There's no more clamping pressure or increase in surface area. It's a pain to quickly change a gearbox however. To change from pull to push, you need an early BE3 fork/arm and plastic bushes, clutch kit and 1.9L Mi16 clutch cable.

so you don't need to change the flywheel? That's a shame I have one thats 4 KG's lighter! I'll save that for the other car. Another question, is the be1 and be3 flywheel the same?

XU9J4 flywheel and all XU10 are the same part (except turbo I think).

Thanks Peter, I always got the comment about how heavy the clutch in the S16 was (and that is pull type) I'd only notice it though after driving my GF's 205 SI. The push type must be a monster!! The new one I put in is admittedly a bit better.

Tony.