The future of aussiefrogs > The Proposal For Keeping aussiefrogs (post#288) > Subscriptions/ Donations Active (post#392) - All threads Merged

WLB, pretty much spot on.

Finding time to even implement a system that will hopefully keep us running is proving tricky but we are nearing a model thanks to help from some key members 👌

Yes my company is in overdraft & i was keeping it as a side hustle but it’s being eaten up by AF fees. We are trying to save for a family project & this is hanging over my head.

When i am asked about costs with re to purchase, alarm bells go off. This isn’t a money making venture & if it were to go that way, the whole feel would change. It may end up a hell of a lot worse than just closing the door, more like disappear. I wouldn’t be able to do anything to save it.

You are most welcome to delete your posts. I can do it with a few clicks instead of individually. Just remember though, your posts will be gone forever either way. I backup each week & if I need to restore, we will only go back to last backup.

Please give me more time. I have lost a lot of sleep over this since I made a decision to shut. It wasn’t easy & still isn’t.

I've gone the other way. I put up the history of the Canada Cycle and Motor Company because I can't think of a better home for it for others to access. Plus a couple of other historical posts. Even as a read only site this will be one of the best car sites to visit and the best English language French car site.

I suspect that the majority of members and users understand and feel the way I do.
Perhaps here is an opportunity for them to show you their support for your efforts.
Not just for the past 22 years, but for what you are going through now.
This resource, and that's what it is without a doubt, will become even more valuable as membership of single marque car clubs inevitably declines in the coming years.

Last edited:

Finding time to even implement a system that will hopefully keep us running is proving tricky but we are nearing a model thanks to help from some key members 👌

Yes my company is in overdraft & i was keeping it as a side hustle but it’s being eaten up by AF fees. We are trying to save for a family project & this is hanging over my head.

When i am asked about costs with re to purchase, alarm bells go off. This isn’t a money making venture & if it were to go that way, the whole feel would change. It may end up a hell of a lot worse than just closing the door, more like disappear. I wouldn’t be able to do anything to save it.

You are most welcome to delete your posts. I can do it with a few clicks instead of individually. Just remember though, your posts will be gone forever either way. I backup each week & if I need to restore, we will only go back to last backup.

Please give me more time. I have lost a lot of sleep over this since I made a decision to shut. It wasn’t easy & still isn’t.
I’m still hoping to see a DONATE button to contribute to ongoing running costs with annual or six monthly reminders that this magnificent resource doesn’t run itself for free.

I'm sure i speak for many, this place to which i have been here for a while now (i forget my member number now), is one of, if not the best resource site for french cars
I'll gladly setup an auto pay membership to sustain this platform as I'm sure quite a few others would also
There is a lot of time behind the curtain that people don't see getting used
Yes i had a break due to a not so nice person who doesn't visit here anymore but this place is part of my daily routine

Usually I just head to What’s New each day, but prompted by these posts decided to have a look around. Can’t find my member number (April 2001, when I would have just traded the BX on my first ever new car - the Xsara) but looking back through Media has brought back many memories of people, cars and events. Even found 2 photos that I no longer have/ never had of cars I no longer own.

This has been an invaluable resource, and I hope for its continuation in any form. My only gripe is with search functionality, which doesn’t work with the older cars‘ model names which it labels too short. Regardless, aussiefrogs is always my first stop when trying to find car information.

The past two years has been a roller-coaster ride with periods where "investing" in Aussiefrogs would have been an easy choice if the opportunity or process was provided as an option. Equally there have been a few periods where the means and ends looked a bit grim and I was glad I didn't make a rash offer (even if it was acceptable!!) :eek::D I had hoped that some structure of payment ($500?) ($1000?) might help establish a hands off style of management/investment and allow the mix of volunteer and professional style continue as before. Like Pugrambo happy to contribute on any annual fee or one off payment to keep things viable. Needs some quick decisions though, as economically things could get hard if the economy heads into recession (or a new pandemic!!) Strike a levy while the pockets are full...:):unsure:

Ken

Please don't, Peter.
Why not delete, if it's your content you can choose what you want do do with it. With all respect to the forum administrators, if the forum isn't going to be a live system then contributors should decide if they want to be part of a read only archive or not. I'll likely choose to opt out also of my content for my two build threads.

Why not delete, if it's your content you can choose what you want do do with it. With all respect to the forum administrators, if the forum isn't going to be a live system then contributors should decide if they want to be part of a read only archive or not. I'll likely choose to opt out also of my content for my two build threads.
Of course it's Peter's content, and his right. That's why I said Please. I understood Peter and others to be mainly concerned about security.
Let me see if I understand your motivation. You want to punish gibgib by denying current members and future viewers access to your technical input?

Of course it's Peter's content, and his right. That's why I said Please. I understood Peter and others to be mainly concerned about security.
Let me see if I understand your motivation. You want to punish gibgib by denying current members and future viewers access to your technical input?
for me it's not about punishment, I'm not that type of person, it's a decision on what to do with my content once the forum closes. Each person should consider this for themselves

for me it's not about punishment, I'm not that type of person, it's a decision on what to do with my content once the forum closes. Each person should consider this for themselves
Is your intention to publicly re-post elsewhere so your content remains both available and within your own control?

I haven't noticed any market out there for French car technical discussions so I hardly think it's a tradeable commodity. Practice here is for people to post to add to the pool of knowledge and no doubt it ends up being quoted elsewhere for the benefit of all.

Speaking personally, I'd be more than happy to put some money in to keep it going if there's a model for running it. There's nothing quite like Aussiefrogs out there and a bunch of us are well connected precisely because it is here. Gibgib or others, do PM me if things evolve that way.

Whats the issue with leaving it up? I mean, its been public all along and that doesn't change...

It’s because the capacity to change / edit is removed.

With it closing, your now old views will survive in perpetuity. Some ppl think that’s crap, and fair enough.

Oh, and I must say, once you post here, you don’t own your view anymore. It’s no longer your information to do with as you wish, you gave that right up when you registered here.

The mods can roll back a database when ever they wish, with anyones posts, should they wish.

Which is precisely why gibgib would rather lock it than make it someone else's commercial operation.

It’s because the capacity to change / edit is removed.

With it closing, your now old views will survive in perpetuity. Some ppl think that’s crap, and fair enough.

Oh, and I must say, once you post here, you don’t own your view anymore. It’s no longer your information to do with as you wish, you gave that right up when you registered here.

The mods can roll back a database when ever they wish, with anyones posts, should they wish.
Ummm. You do know that everything ever put on the internet is there forever right...? That does sound a little tin foil hatty i confess...

If you're worried some future you wont like what you post today, best not post in the first place. This is the first time Ive ever seen anyone try to censor their own old stuff...

I'm not suggesting that it is their motivation, but I don't begrudge them should they feel it easier to modify now then with whom ever ends up with the keys to this place..