That other French car...

pugrambo said:
i was bieng positive

i just wanted to know about the centuras as everyone of them i have ever come across was riddled with rust and i wanted to know why

good engines but a very light rear end and rusty bodies which is a pity as it had the makings of a very good car or something that could have been much better than what it was/is

anyway for your perusal

The height of industrial monolithism
From 1950 to 1960, steel production again rose appreciably, but the trend in steel production at international level showed the risks inherent in industrial monolithism. Moreover, the iron ore which had led to the creation of the Luxembourg steel industry was no longer a trump card in view of its low iron content and the gradual exhaustion of the deposits

Most iron ore mined in France contains high levels of impurities, and domestic production has declined in recent decades as the French steel industry has turned to purer ores imported from abroad. Bauxite, or aluminum ore, is mined in substantial quantities, mainly in the southeast.

My father had a Centura for many years, no sign of rust anywhere.
It was a 2 litre auto and was near 100% reliable.
Graham

Ray Bell said:
I actually meant of the Vedette engine as modified by the Brazilian factory.

Try here

http://www.carroantigo.com/foto_associados/1969_esplanada.htm

pugrambo said:
i once heard that shelby was also involved with sunbeam/talbot at some stage or was this just in engalnd and nothing to do with france

Nothing to do with France there. It was Shelby and his team who created the Sunbeam Tiger (Sunbeam Alpine mit V8) this was in the Rootes Group era, post Sunbeam-Talbot pre Chrysler/ Peugeot-Talbot.

Originally posted by Simon
Try here

http://www.carroantigo.com/foto_associados/1969_esplanada.htm

Nothing to do with France there. It was Shelby and his team who created the Sunbeam Tiger (Sunbeam Alpine mit V8) this was in the Rootes Group era, post Sunbeam-Talbot pre Chrysler/ Peugeot-Talbot.

What a man! Excellent... that is obviously Ardun-based with the plugs close together like that.

And look at the similarity to the 404 rocker cover shape too. Even more I'm convinced it would make a great hotrod engine!

And you know, I'd forgotten that Shelby was involved with the Tigers.

I sneaked the engine pic off that site and enlarged it a bit...

Attachments

• 1969esplanadamotor.jpg
    1969esplanadamotor.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 277
Ray Bell said:

i'd heard about it but i wasn't quite sure what the involvement was hence the reason i asked

even though it's not french but the tiger has to be one of my all time fav cars from the first time i ever saw maxwell smart driving one

Ray Bell said:
Was that a Tiger or a late model Alpine?

I'm sure it was just an Alpine, probably 1725cc or raw pommie power.

the blue one was a tiger

the red one he had was the alpine

wider wheels than the alpine

Ray Bell said:
Yes, I'd say you're right there...

And Talbot had a British arm and an French arm right back to the days before we were around too.
It seems to have been a common arrangement in the early days, pre WW1.
Three examples.....
Talbot was the english agent for Clement to start with....Cars were sold as Clement-Talbots.
Early Peugeot cars were sold as Friswell-Peugeot- apparently Friswell was the english agent.
Very early Delages were also sold in england under the Friswell name. I'd like more info on Friswell if anyone has any, BTW.

Farmerdave

Ray Bell said:
I suppose I only ever saw the red one... I very rarely watched that show.

Anyway... back to the topic.

Gerry, do we get a new forum for Simcas and other French makes?

i actually got it slightly bummed up

the red one was the tiger and it is on show at the playboy mansion

apparently he liked the car so much during the series he was given the car at the end of it and then gave it to his daughter who then mistreated it

anyway..............

Google is illuminating on this...

Max in fact drove four different cars in the shows, or was that five.

In the pilot episode Max exits a dark coloured early '60s Ferrari 250 GT Spyder California from a quiet downtown Los Angeles street, throwing his hat into the car and running downstairs to an underground Control headquarters.

But when the series went into production the Ferrari was replaced a red 1965 V8 powered Sunbeam Tiger, perhaps Max's best known car.

And even the Tiger had a stand in for most of the shows, a rebadged four cylinder Sunbeam Alpine, with Tiger script on the side.

Apparently, there was no room under the bonnet of the real Tiger for the car's James Bond style machine gun.

So even when he had the Tiger, which was the red one, he had a 4-cylinder version.

This site goes on to explain that he also had a Karmann Ghia and an Opel...

Borgward Isobella

Not sure if this is right spelling, forum, name, or origin, but if anyone in Adelaide has to have a Borgward Isobella, PM me, I saw one under a tarp in Klemzig last night.

cheers ed ge

That other French? car.

The Sunbeam Alpine Tiger with its 289? Ford engine was to become an embarrassment for Chrysler, sitting in the showrooms with the Ford engine!

Further red faces at Chrysler when they were marketing the Vedette with its Ford based engine. :rolleyes:

Great info coming through with all these sites. I was never into the Vedette during my Simca period. The background to the V8 is very interesting, news to me that the V8-60 was English. American midget speedcars used the V8-60 engines after WW2. Where did the Yanks source them from?
The Ford Pilot connection was known but they were around in '48..'50's. The Ford Thames trucks used them as well I believe.
Some one may correct me here. I read that the '50's Thames truck cabs were a copy of the Simca Unic truck. :2cents:

Louis said:
When you get down to it though, there is a lack of any actual French involvement in it.

English engine.
English chassis.
English body.

Whereas the Alpine, Horizon and Tagora definitely have major French involvement.
True, it's more of an adopted child. :joker:

It was also refered to as a Simca in some markets.

:cheers:

Ray Bell said:
What a man! Excellent... that is obviously Ardun-based with the plugs close together like that.

And look at the similarity to the 404 rocker cover shape too. Even more I'm convinced it would make a great hotrod engine!

I sneaked the engine pic off that site and enlarged it a bit...
Another photo.
Graham

Attachments

• motoresplanada.jpg
    motoresplanada.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 298
Wildebeest said:
The Sunbeam Alpine Tiger with its 289? Ford engine was to become an embarrassment for Chrysler, sitting in the showrooms with the Ford engine!

Further red faces at Chrysler when they were marketing the Vedette with its Ford based engine. :rolleyes:

Great info coming through with all these sites. I was never into the Vedette during my Simca period. The background to the V8 is very interesting, news to me that the V8-60 was English. American midget speedcars used the V8-60 engines after WW2. Where did the Yanks source them from?
The Ford Pilot connection was known but they were around in '48..'50's. The Ford Thames trucks used them as well I believe.
Some one may correct me here. I read that the '50's Thames truck cabs were a copy of the Simca Unic truck. :2cents:

The Ford Pilot was from Ex USA factory as was design for motor.
You can still buy new V8 60's!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.replicaengines.com/products/ford.htm

Wildebeest said:

that's what killed the production of the tiger after 7000 odd cars were made

the MKII was the 289 powered car

the MKI had the 260ci engine

the body had to be modified to fit the engine in but at least if gave the car some substance as the alpine was a pretty pathetic car performance wise

it just didn't have the power to go with the sporty looks

That other French car.

Ray Bell said:
Wildebeest... the site says that the V8 60 was made first in England, then in France, then America. Each, seemingly, had their own finishing touches.

The Tigers began life with the 260.

Ray,
I wonder what purpose the V8-60 was put in the US. It would seem to be a wimpish engine for that part of the world, 150 cubic inch or less? :wink2:

Slightly off topic but good Aussie connection.
Sunbeam Alpines
In the early sixties, Jack Brabham, too, had ideas for vastly improving the Alpine's performance. His workshops were already involved in the production of tuning kits for the Alpine but, likes Rootes' development department, Brabham realized that the only real way to increase the Alpine's performance was to install a larger engine. To this end, he had several discussions with Rootes representatives and in particular, Peter Ware, suggesting the installation of an American V8 engine. However, as Brabham remembers, "They were listening but seemed embarrassed at the idea of an American engine in one of their cars."

Brabham is honest enough to admit that he was hoping Rootes would agree to his Alpine V8 ideas because of the inevitable increase in work this would give his engineering business. "We had the manpower and the knowhow," he continued, "and could have undertaken series production modifying standard Alpines and fitting V8 engines."

The proposed American Ford unit measured just 20 inches (508 mm) across the cylinder banks whereas the Daimler engine was over 28 inches (771.2 mm) and had a rear mounted distributor. This accounted for the difficulty Rootes' development department had in installing the Daimler engine into the Alpine.

With so many views and replies I think a Simca Forum is warranted especially as I am planning to do a restoration and all help would be invaluable.
:D