Tell him he is dreaming, I hear you say...

They are very scarce that's for sure. I have found a cpla Buick straight eights but they are overhead valve so not what I want. I found parts of a Hupmobile but it was an F head and a bit prehistoric for my uses. So still no straight eight flat head. 😔 They are aplenty in the USA if I get desperate enough.

I will probably be shot for this!

I have seen so many beautifully restored old cars spoiled because the owner found every known accessory known to man for the model (Genuine or not) and fitted them. SORRY. :cry:

Can you get venetians for a 203?

They are very scarce that's for sure. I have found a cpla Buick straight eights but they are overhead valve so not what I want. I found parts of a Hupmobile but it was an F head and a bit prehistoric for my uses. So still no straight eight flat head. 😔 They are aplenty in the USA if I get desperate enough.
Pity this is in MN-USA. Might be a good place to ask.
Wrecks and parts will still be out there, like this lot auctioned in 2020. Possibly a useful contact in there too.

I have seen so many beautifully restored old cars spoiled because the owner found every known accessory known to man for the model (Genuine or not) and fitted them. SORRY. :cry:

That seems to particularly afflict early 1960's Holdens. Spats just look silly on an EJ wagon.

That's why I like motorbikes, nothing superfluous, just the bare minimum to get the job done.😁

Attachments

• images (59).jpeg
    images (59).jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 88
Hmm now lets see, could it be the cost of wages, costs of running a business, tax and other Govt fees, quality assurance, rents, etc. etc. We in the civilised world have been supping from the silver spoon for so long that we have lost sight of how to do things in a simple straight forward way. When the world plunders back to the days of the great depression when peeps had a job to feed their kids, then and only then will it be feasible to make odd bits for enthusiasts. Trouble is the enthusiasts would be too broke to pay for them ..
Not to mention, those out there who would baulk at the possible asking price. Which is usually followed with the comment of "How can they they charge so much..." Whoops better get of my high horse, might start offending people. Ah, the simple joys of getting older. There was a TV show named after my type, 'Grumpy Old Men' :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::giggle:

Reactions: COL
So you are chasing a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Hudson or similar? I'll keep my ears open. There was a Pontiac or Olds (can't remember which) one on EBay a couple of years ago with quad carbs and headers. Look like it had been sitting in a shed for a long, long time. It was $800 from memory.

A alternatively you could make your own from a couple of SV 4 bangers. Model As perhaps?

This one's not SV but it's pretty cool, 2 NSU engines.

Attachments

• download (6).jpeg
    download (6).jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 76
  • images (60).jpeg
    images (60).jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 81
That's why I like motorbikes, nothing superfluous, just the bare minimum to get the job done.😁
Forward facing blue lights must be english Poe lease scooter,bit of wind resistance speed inhibitors with those lights,good for seeing those Russell’s in the hedgerows…he he …jim

Forward facing blue lights must be english Poe lease scooter,bit of wind resistance speed inhibitors with those lights,good for seeing those Russell’s in the hedgerows…he he …jim
Yes and if you look closely no-one sneaking up on him in a hurry with all the mirrors it has on it.

Just wondering, are those mirrors legal?
No but these are.😉

Am I the only one that thinks the foxtail is a bit "over the top"?😆

Attachments

• images (61).jpeg
    images (61).jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 86
So you are chasing a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Hudson or similar? I'll keep my ears open. There was a Pontiac or Olds (can't remember which) one on EBay a couple of years ago with quad carbs and headers. Look like it had been sitting in a shed for a long, long time. It was $800 from memory.

A alternatively you could make your own from a couple of SV 4 bangers. Model As perhaps?

This one's not SV but it's pretty cool, 2 NSU engines.
Yes, join 2 x 4 cylinders together as per vintage Bugatti.

Off topic I know, but regarding straight eights, this US dispersal auction from late 2021 might be interesting to browse through:
https://www.collarcityauctionsonline.com/servlet/List.do?auctionId=727
Related discussion: https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24811

And phase 2 of this dispersal sale is currently live:
https://www.collarcityauctionsonline.com/servlet/List.do?auctionId=754
Related discussion: https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25281

More off topic stuff. Re straight eights in America. There are plenty of them for sale and for a modest sum too, the cost of freight pretty much doubles the cost of said engine, then there is the risk and cost of repairing an old engine which would be purchased site-unseen. Add the cost of freakin GST (on a vintage piece of old junk, don't get me started) and the ultimate risk of being scammed at point of sale it becomes too hard to import an old engine. But there is always a but. At some point in the future I may well take the plunge and import one despite the risk.

If you want to go French Ted Geermans has a very nice Amilcar straight eight. Might know of others, although they are rocking horse shit.

Andrew

G'day Dr Andrew,
The Amilcar engines are overhead cam as far as I can tell but good luck finding one anyway, I sure as hell wouldn't hack one out of a full car, I do have a small conscience. The Renault engine below would be perfect.

Thanks in advance..G
1649042715253.jpeg

plenty of old boats had some interesting engines in them ,wouldnt be surprised there is something tucked in the corner of a shed in an old time boat yard ,i recall reading about a guy who dived on a wreck of an old Roles Royce of the end of a wharf in a boat yard ,apparently the old car was bought for the engine and the rest disposed of in an appropriate manner for those days ,read an article about a replica Lancia F1 car being built the ones with the side tanks that Ferrari adopted ,engine that was bought for a hydroplane project new ! found in a crate at a slipway , so its a matter of keep shaking the tree ,see what falls out