Tell him he is dreaming, I hear you say...

Dano

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I am asking for the impossible, but here goes.

Does anyone have a pair of the ROBRI rear stone guards lying around in a shed/box somewhere. I have all the other bling bits, but these seem to be elusive. The rear ones are longer in the elongated flange bit on the bottom.

1648895367778.png

Hay dano maybe there someone who would let you make a mould from theres, so you could form some up from plastic or re enforced resin , if they are that rare ,you could even make sets and sell them on the net ,in your spare time !

A decent panel beater and some ally will make them, as log as they have been traditionally trained.

If you could borrow a pair to have scanned, you could get some 3D printed from aluminium. Not sure about the $$ though?

I was thinking one of these might add a couple of MPH to the DS.😉

Attachments

• images (57).jpeg
    images (57).jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 65
If you could borrow a pair to have scanned, you could get some 3D printed from aluminium. Not sure about the $$ though?

Hay dano maybe there someone who would let you make a mould from theres, so you could form some up from plastic or re enforced resin , if they are that rare ,you could even make sets and sell them on the net ,in your spare time !
A decent panel beater and some ally will make them, as log as they have been traditionally trained.
That I can 3D print :p
Those old Robri bits would have been sand cast aluminium wouldn't they?? They'd be easy enough to sand cast but quite horrendous to fettle and polish.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 184553.png
Screenshot 2022-04-03 184553.png

Last edited:
At 240Euro for the above set I'd say grab them quick.
Graham, over the last 5 years, I have amassed a small and diverse collect of all the other bits. Many require repair/refurbishment which is the fun/rewarding part of any restoration. The tail/rear mudguard ones are just so rare. For some reason, even the re-manufacturing companies don't re-produce them. As seen in your image. May end up trying to modify a spare set of front ones. It won't be easy, but I do have a friend who is an absolute wizard with a TIG welder. Matching the alloy and gaining an even shine/finish will be the issue.
Matthew, you know who I am talking about.

The Robri bits I've seen for Citroen were fairly obviously sand cast., so I'd think these would be too. Sounds like a great practice project for M. Floride.

The Robri bits I've seen for Citroen were fairly obviously sand cast., so I'd think these would be too. Sounds like a great practice project for M. Floride.

I agree, he's been bit quiet lately so must have run out of things to do 🤣 🤣 🤣 ;)

Thank you for the magnanimous recommendation there David but there are 2 things amiss with that picture. The lack of spare time and my exorbitant hourly charge-out rate. I would prefer to coach someone who wants to take the initiative of learning the same as I did.

For some reason, even the re-manufacturing companies don't re-produce them.
Hmm now lets see, could it be the cost of wages, costs of running a business, tax and other Govt fees, quality assurance, rents, etc. etc. We in the civilised world have been supping from the silver spoon for so long that we have lost sight of how to do things in a simple straight forward way. When the world plunders back to the days of the great depression when peeps had a job to feed their kids, then and only then will it be feasible to make odd bits for enthusiasts. Trouble is the enthusiasts would be too broke to pay for them ..

I remember reading an article on Cleveland Cycle Works who used to make a hardtail bobber/chopper style bike called the Heist.

They tried to source the discs for it from within the USA, and got lengthy replies from the US manufacturers on the legal aspects of making brake discs to specs they weren't familiar with, and subsequently stated, "sorry we can't help you".

He then e-mailed a Chinese manufacturer, their response, "how many do you want"?🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the magnanimous recommendation there David but there are 2 things amiss with that picture. The lack of spare time and my exorbitant hourly charge-out rate. I would prefer to coach someone who wants to take the initiative of learning the same as I did.
Did you find a straight eight to play with?