Taylor Styles Special Front end

Westair

Fellow Frogger
Can't find link to post. These are photos of car from Terry's Around the Houses.
Front is original beam front-other is new front end Apology for standard and mirror image of photo

Attachments

• TS Special Original.jpg
    TS Special Original.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 302
  • TS Special front end.jpg
    TS Special front end.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 321
Taylor Styles

Are we talking here Syd Taylor and Styles Garage? A bit before my time but I have heard of this connection before, I think.

More information?

Thanks,
Fordman.

Fordman said:
Are we talking here Syd Taylor and Styles Garage? A bit before my time but I have heard of this connection before, I think.

More information?

Thanks,
Fordman.
Syd Taylor was a dentist and Rod Style of Technical School fame and Cliff his brother were the builders of the TS special. It was very similar to Clem Dwyers car.
Not too much before your time!!!!!!
Rod Sr. is still around and still does Engineering Consultancy work and Rod Jr.
does this also. Long time CAMS scrutineers and Steward duties.

Clem's car was, of course, a 2-seater... just as the Ranford car (in the background above) was... or could have been.

Building a Special in that era wasn't all that easy. Or it wasn't if you wanted to have a single seater with the seat in the middle.

Typically you'd need to have the steering column take a couple of turns to get around the top of the engine. But unlike today, very few steering column universal joints existed. In fact, the modern era seemed to see these come in with the Datsun 1600. You wouldn't believe what Triumph Heralds had instead.

Anyway, the other issue of a central seat was that the driver sat high up above the driveline, whereas in an offset seat he could sit much lower.

So Clem took that choice in 1940/41, while the TS (1950/51?) had the high seat in the middle instead.

Clem's car actually had mudguards etc made for it later on, Wayne Negus used to sometimes drive it around the roads during his father's ownership.

I'm curious, though... did Clem's car have a Dodge gearbox? I rather fancy I've been told it also had a Vauxhall box like the Ranford/Maurice/Wakelin car.

broudeau said:
Clem's car was, of course, a 2-seater... just as the Ranford car (in the background above) was... or could have been.

The Plymouth Special-
Quote from Terry Walkers's Around the Houses.
"For 1940 he constructed the famous Plymouth Special from a damaged sedan..Conceived from the start as a single seater racing car.......etc etc.

Sid Negus converted the Plymouth Special to a sports car in 1957 by bolting on mudguards and lights- Terry Walker

Oh yeah, I've heard that it was some special model of Plymouth too...

Yes, it was a central seater I see by checking my photos. Clem and later Ted must have been short guys! Sid as well, I guess. So I was misleading myself (and others) by saying it was a 2-seater... but it had to seat two before it could count as a Sports Car, so Senator Sid's later changes must have been substantial.

Taylor Styles Special...

The ex Dwyer car in the hands of Syd Negus was raced as a sports car.
I don't know what the CAMS rules were at the time re sports cars in that they required a passenger seat and offset to the left or right steering position. My cynical mind tells me that because Syd Negus, being who he was, got away with adding guards and lights to make a sports car out of what was essentially a central driver position racing single seater!

Rod Style sen. was the CAMS vehicle scrutineer during my '60's Simca forays at Caversham. He payed me the compliment that my Simca had the cleanest underbonnet/engine presented for "scruting" prior to the 6 Hour Race. You don't forget things like that.

It'll be safe to relate this, young Rod jun. won't see it.
I'm told that during his career he was with the Ford Motor Company. In his capacity he was sent to Kalgoorlie to placate a Consul or Zephyr owner with a dust entry problem. To locate the leak Rod jun. applied some lateral thinking by letting off a smoke? bomb inside the car. The leaks were located but at the cost of replacing the whole interior trim. :eek: :eek:

Back to the scrutineering and Caversham. Prior to the event I received a list of regulations relating to the Appendix J class that covered my Simca.
The rules included paragraphs mentioning the vehicles to be run with all fittings, seats and windows in place.
Living in Kalgoorlie and wanting to turn up on race day with all the T's crossed and and I's dotted imagine my surprise to see some of the App J entries minus rear seats and some with perspex side window "glass"!
Still I was happy with my result on the day. 18th, four places behind "Westair". 14th. :cheers:

Last edited:
But the Negus sports car was also road registered... it was, I'm sure, right hand drive when converted...

I'm pretty sure I spoke to Wayne about this at one stage. I seem to recall him mentioning that he tried to buy it back from a car yard where it was for sale.

Doesn't the photo show it as a sports car?

TS Special and others.

Ray Bell said:
But the Negus sports car was also road registered... it was, I'm sure, right hand drive when converted...

I'm pretty sure I spoke to Wayne about this at one stage. I seem to recall him mentioning that he tried to buy it back from a car yard where it was for sale.

Doesn't the photo show it as a sports car?

Ray,
To qualify as a sports car in this case could have meant shuffling the steering column to one side, an inch or two would qualify. The car had a wide body so the addition of a cursory seat would not be difficult.
Once again, Syd being who he was etc wouldn't have had any difficulty with the RTA. I'm not sure which photo you mean Ray, I've seen shots of it in both guises.

The Dwyer/Negus Plymouth is currently running in classic events in WA as a single seater.

TS Special and Syd...

Ray Bell said:
Indeed, it has spent considerable time in the eastern states as well...

I'm sure there's a photo showing one or two of the Negus children in the car... side on, running board showing perhaps?

That photo is in the "Round The Houses" book. As I said cursory seating, suitable for a small backside. Wayne is at the wheel with his sister as passenger. Have a look at the back tyre, an old style wintertread !

Ray, I'll drop a couple of names here. Tomorrow afternoon I'm joining some friends for a coffee. Among the group will be Neil Rear, drove Repco Brabham Climax, in 1973 took over the Bob Ilich Repco Brabham Cosworth then later a Birrana 273.
Bob Ilich, former mechanic with the Brabham Grand Prix Team in the years '66-'67. On his return he raced a Repco Brabham BT21c F2 at Wanneroo. He tells some interesting tales!
I'm taking along a couple of books to get autographs. Tragic isn't it. :rolleyes:

Wildebeest said:
That photo is in the "Round The Houses" book. As I said cursory seating, suitable for a small backside. Wayne is at the wheel with his sister as passenger. Have a look at the back tyre, an old style wintertread !

Ray, I'll drop a couple of names here. Tomorrow afternoon I'm joining some friends for a coffee. Among the group will be Neil Rear, drove Repco Brabham Climax, in 1973 took over the Bob Ilich Repco Brabham Cosworth then later a Birrana 273.
Bob Ilich, former mechanic with the Brabham Grand Prix Team in the years '66-'67. On his return he raced a Repco Brabham BT21c F2 at Wanneroo. He tells some interesting tales!
I'm taking along a couple of books to get autographs. Tragic isn't it. :rolleyes:

A story Bob Ilich will remember is when he took fastest time of the day at one of the first meetings at Ravenswood drag strip in about 1969 - 1970. His little Brabham I think had a SOHC 1.0 litre engine. The V8 drag boys had a bit of a problem getting their heads around that! I remember standing behind it and can still hear the sound of 5 quick gear changes doing (I think) a 10.7 sec run up the quarter mile. Happy days.

Cheers,
Fordman.

Westair... is it possible for you to post pics here of the Peugeot-based cars that were built in WA... there's at least two in Terry's book

And I read today, by the way, that Terry's updated the book, with lots of colour pics from more recent eras. But it's not 'in print'... available as a CD from The Pitstop Bookshop for a tad under $30.

Ray Bell said:
Ah yes... I don't think you could stop him!

He tended to drive right through if you let him.
The Sprite weaving through some monster V8s almost anywhere on the track was unbelievable.

Ray Bell said:
Westair... is it possible for you to post pics here of the Peugeot-based cars that were built in WA... there's at least two in Terry's book

And I read today, by the way, that Terry's updated the book, with lots of colour pics from more recent eras. But it's not 'in print'... available as a CD from The Pitstop Bookshop for a tad under $30.
Will follow up- I think Wildebest may have some pics as well.

TS Special and other things.

Westair said:
Will follow up- I think Wildebest may have some pics as well.

Westy,
The only picture records I have are those in publications that you and Ray would have.

Vin Smiths "Vindid" I believe was Peugeot powered. What was he thinking when he turned the car into a rear engine job? It would look good on a present day historic grid in front engined rig.
Then there was Bob Kingsbury's "El Toro"? Dave Sullivan sen. rear engine Peugeot.[For a while]. The "Pegasus". Owners name? Then there is Hilton McGee, he was Peugeot eng. mounted as well.
My good lady recalls from her "other life" the authorative voice of WASCC secretary Patsie Hills requesting. "Will Hilton McGee please refrain from urinating on the track?" :eek: