Takethatf@^$!&clutchcableandstickitupyaa$$

Denton at European Autos Penrith sold me a kick arse thicker cable years ago, still good as, worth asking if he has them, much tougher than the standard ones, those levers on the end corrode and crap out though, age shalt weary everything...

If only you guys could find some CX prestige slave cylinders, you would be set!! Of course this would be ideal as when they leak eventually due to split boots, they would lubricate the clutch that sits beneath the pivot assembly nicely, by doing this you would stop the clutch sticking, and keep the flywheel well lubricated to prevent rust :rolleyes:

seeya,
Shane L.

Insulation of the outer cable is NOT useless. The factory used asbestos woven sheathing, there are many other more effective coverings available. When that sheathing is in place, or an effective insulating sheath is used, the proximity to the exhaust is a non issue.

With respect, I have had cables built which are in service today, lasting a number of years, through improved design and material considering the use.

When considering the cable, as the inner loses flexibility, no lubrication, then work hardens and eventually breaks, the difficulty of the cable to travel with the increased friction places further strain on the pivot.
Like I said; neglect and unknowing.

I thought I'd post a few pics to illustrate Richo's analysis and maybe he can also better describe the benefits engineered into the cables he had manufactured on his behalf.

The first image is a NOS clutch cable with the asbestos woven sheathing, with the manufactured cable beside, I note the insulation on the manufactured cable extends further than the NOS.

attachment.php

This image is just a close up of the insulation.

attachment.php

This shot clearly shows the two cables side by side, the upper being Citroen NOS. I note the manufactured cable is somewhat thicker with thin multi strands so double wound? On further examination I also note that despite the manufactured cable being thicker is is noticeably more flexible.

attachment.php

I hope Richo will add more detail, but I understand the outer sheath has a non abrading finish to reduce wear and assist free movement of the cable even given the awkward bend our RHD cars endure.

At this point in time I can't evaluate one over the other as you can see neither have been on the car. In fact the one I'm currently using has given more than 4 years of trouble free non use :clown:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Cables.jpg
    Cables.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 398
  • Close up insulation.jpg
    Close up insulation.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 397
  • NOS v Manufactured.jpg
    NOS v Manufactured.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 395
I happened again!...

Just outside Tathra on my way to Braidwood, 200+kms.
I didn't even hesitate to stop, I'm now adept at matching road and engine speed to drive sans clutch. Having baby on board meant I couldn't afford a long wait on the side of the road!
After arriving safely at our destination, avoiding the Clyde mt. by taking the dirt back road from Moruya to Araluen, I wiped it out to discover the pivot had snapped again...

The top one pictured is what broke after being repaired the bottom is the original item I mentioned in a previous post, also snapped at the hook end, I decided to use it instead with some reinforcing as it had a smoother movement at the end pivot.
The clutch has never felt so good!
Pictured also is the spring return mount which I welded and redrilled as the spring had nearly worn it through...

If this happens again it's time for an aftermarket dot hydraulic clutch...

Harley

Sent via the future...