T9 308 1.2 Puretech issues?

Sans_sagesse

Fellow Frogger
I am sadly in the position where I might have to let go of my C5 X7 due to change in car requirements but the good news is I might still be frogging along as I am interested in buying a T9 308 1.2. I have driven a few and like this engine; in fact the whole package is impressive.
I have tried a search on this forum, a Google search of this forum and the interweb generally to find out about reliability of the 3-cyl 1.2-litre engine fitted to T9 308. So my apologies if this has already been covered here in detail, but if so I just can't find it.
There are some terrible T9 308 reviews on productreview.com.au. Yes, I know that these reviews are not exactly a scientific examination of the car either way, but it's all I have, pretty much.
I have read about cambelt failure of early cars, lost compression on others, and (perhaps linked) spark plug failure. A couple requiring engine replacement. And carbon build up (this from what I've read seems to be a direct-injection petrol problem generally, that can be avoided with correct engine oil and longer runs).
In all a frustrating thing because I can't seem to see any clear statements of how 'common' issues are, and (if possible) how you'd pick it as a problem when buying a circa 2015 T9 with up to 100,000km on it.
I know there are a few guys here that either have or do still work in the industry on Peugeots like the T9. I am hoping you might give me some pointers. Or if anyone can point to a reliable web source on T9 reliability.
I just don't want to invest a big wedge of money on something that is likely to unexpectedly go bang in a big way. I have had a brilliant run in my C5; one of the most reliable cars I've owned, def the most fault-free French car. But I now need a manual hatch or small wagon, and I am hoping that a T9 1.2 can be just as reliable. Or am I kidding myself?

I have this engine in a 2017 year Peugeot 2008 ( with the delightful Aisin 6 speed auto). bought new in 2017. Done 50K and absolutely no issues, nor have I seen any issues on the aussiefrogs site. It’s a very popular engine worldwide. I saw the product review, and these reports appear to be at variance with what I’ve known or even seen. I’m very happy with my car after 3 years, and would have no hesitation in recommending this to others. My two bobs worth, anyway.

It is a very common engine and I believe it won engine of the year at some point? I have a 2015 308 with the 1.6 engine (110kw) and it has no issues at all. I love this engine, nice power and you also get adaptive cruise control which is not offered with any other engine. But from what I hear the 1.2 is very nice to drive, economical, smooth and you should not have any issues. The T9 is an excellent car and you will find most owners rave about them.

The problem is timing belt fragmentation blocking oil galleries and starving the engine of oil. Engine failure is the result. Up to 2017. Not great. I’ve just bought a 2015 model. It’s all in this thread I found today.
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles-causing-clogged-oil-system.333046/page-7

I note you say "up to 2017". Did something change subsequent to that date? One might hope that any earlier inadequacies were addressed in later engines. (I have a 2017 Peugeot 2008 with the same(?) 1.2 turbo engine. Clearly I'm interested!

I note you say "up to 2017". Did something change subsequent to that date? One might hope that any earlier inadequacies were addressed in later engines. (I have a 2017 Peugeot 2008 with the same(?) 1.2 turbo engine. Clearly I'm interested!

Have a read through the thread to make best sense of it. It meanders a bit (as threads can do) and I was getting tired last night so didn't really take in all the many diversions in the 8 pages of it. Some comments seem to side track and you might need to take some of it with a grain of salt, but it 'seems' that from circa 2017 Peugeot's belt suppliers changed the belt for an improved one. Later belts much more durable, can crack after a lot of kays but don't fragment like earlier ones. Some discussion on how you tell the difference between belts new and old. Obviously if trying to order a new belt to change it. AFAIK no way to tell if yo have a new belt while it is in the car.

I was trying to read the thread on my mobile and linked it here on my mobile too. All got too hard. So you've got page 7 in the link above - here's the start of the thread:
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles-causing-clogged-oil-system.333046/

I like this Peugeot, my first since my 505 Executive in about '97 I think. The torque and responsiveness is incredible. So much so that I had my eyes glued to the speedo for a while after I picked it up this morning.

Thanks for your trouble. As I bought mine new, and have only done 50K, I think I can keep an eye on the threads in the future. I'm one for keeping my car for (a) a long time and (b) in good mechanical condition, so I will be attacking the brains of my tame Pug mechanic in a couple of years about the timing belt. Cheers. It's a great little engine and gearbox combination. I have not had one moment of regret since purchase.

Have a read through the thread to make best sense of it. It meanders a bit (as threads can do) and I was getting tired last night so didn't really take in all the many diversions in the 8 pages of it. Some comments seem to side track and you might need to take some of it with a grain of salt, but it 'seems' that from circa 2017 Peugeot's belt suppliers changed the belt for an improved one. Later belts much more durable, can crack after a lot of kays but don't fragment like earlier ones. Some discussion on how you tell the difference between belts new and old. Obviously if trying to order a new belt to change it. AFAIK no way to tell if yo have a new belt while it is in the car.

I was trying to read the thread on my mobile and linked it here on my mobile too. All got too hard. So you've got page 7 in the link above - here's the start of the thread:
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles-causing-clogged-oil-system.333046/

I like this Peugeot, my first since my 505 Executive in about '97 I think. The torque and responsiveness is incredible. So much so that I had my eyes glued to the speedo for a while after I picked it up this morning.

wet timing belt - laminated, reinforced rubber or nitrile or neoprene belt bathed in oil. a recipe for longevity?
we test drove a 1.2 catus for the boss last year: - underwhelming performance.
Just my opinion

My 2016 308 puretec lost compression in one cylinder after 150,000km and started using oil. Peugeot gave me a new engine under warranty which has done 30,000 without issue.
I agree it’s great to drive and has plenty of power for something so economical.
Cactus is detuned compared to the 308’s version.

I feel that most concerns about engine longevity apply to any manufacturer. Google any model (even hondas 1.5 turbo, even toyotas etc.) and engine failures will pop up. I think the T9 308 is a great car, my personal choice would be the 1.6 GT manual from 2014/15 if one ever came up. Or the GTi270... I drove a puretech 1.2 Auto a while back and it was good, smooth and punchy. Of course the dealer didn't have a manual to test though. I believe the T9 series has one of the lowest recall rates in it class too, so there's that.

Wet belts were first used by Ford in 2008 - twelve years ago. There are several wet belt engines to be found today.

Does anyone know about the Peugeot or otherwise recommended replacement schedule for the most recent 1.2? Eg those built subsequent to 2017 (my car - Peugeot 2008) with the “improved” belt? Asking for a friend.....

Belt now at 90K/6 years. Belt and tensioner after another 90K/6 years.

wet timing belt - laminated, reinforced rubber or nitrile or neoprene belt bathed in oil. a recipe for longevity?
we test drove a 1.2 catus for the boss last year: - underwhelming performance.
Just my opinion
Hi. Mrs Whippet has the 2008 SUV/wagon with the 1.2Lt 6S Auto. She loves it, and its OK to drive - for her. But I concur with CC1701, it isn't any performance machine. I acknowledge that the 1.2Lt in the 308 has increased kW and power to weight ratio, but 11 seconds 1-100km/h is underwhelming.

308 - T9
Power - 96kW @ 5500rpm
Torque - 230Nm @ 1750rpm
Power to Weight Ratio - 85.6 kW/t
Acceleration 0-100km/h - 11 s

2008 MY-18
Power - 81kW @ 5500rpm
Torque - 205Nm @ 1500rpm
Power to Weight Ratio - 68.2 kW/t
Acceleration 0-100km/h - 11.3 s

Hi. Mrs Whippet has the 2008 SUV/wagon with the 1.2Lt 6S Auto. She loves it, and its OK to drive - for her. But I concur with CC1701, it isn't any performance machine. I acknowledge that the 1.2Lt in the 308 has increased kW and power to weight ratio, but 11 seconds 1-100km/h is underwhelming.

308 - T9
Power - 96kW @ 5500rpm
Torque - 230Nm @ 1750rpm
Power to Weight Ratio - 85.6 kW/t
Acceleration 0-100km/h - 11 s

2008 MY-18
Power - 81kW @ 5500rpm
Torque - 205Nm @ 1500rpm
Power to Weight Ratio - 68.2 kW/t
Acceleration 0-100km/h - 11.3 s
Could I concur with Mrs Whippet’s opinion. I bought the 2008 after originally eyeing at Subaru XV, but was put off by road reviews of the engine/transmission characteristics. Love the 2008 engine/transmission combination. Gets me to Albury as fast as a Ferrari can legally travel....... how often do you need to floor it to 100k from rest? It’s just a comfortable driving experience on both highways and even dirt roads, as long as you toss the all-terrain Goodyears it came with, and put on normal tyres. Haven’t needed 4 wheel drive in my 50K. No regrets at all. The new model is too big.

And a lot of the fords that had this belt now have had the chain fitted
I had never heard of a wet belt engine before reading this thread. Sounds like an odd idea.
What do you think of the 1.2 3 cylinder Pug engine, dmccurtayne?
If Ford has a conversion to chain, does Pug? Are the Ford and Pug engines the same engine, or related?

Could I concur with Mrs Whippet’s opinion. I bought the 2008 after originally eyeing at Subaru XV, but was put off by road reviews of the engine/transmission characteristics. Love the 2008 engine/transmission combination. Gets me to Albury as fast as a Ferrari can legally travel....... how often do you need to floor it to 100k from rest? It’s just a comfortable driving experience on both highways and even dirt roads, as long as you toss the all-terrain Goodyears it came with, and put on normal tyres. Haven’t needed 4 wheel drive in my 50K. No regrets at all. The new model is too big.
Hi BarryC.

I am not suggesting that you need to floor it to 100k from rest all of the time.

But the commonly used test results of acceleration from rest to 100km/h and also the kW/Tonne are convenient measurements to compare different vehicles and to also make other relative performance assessments.

I wasn't saying the 2008 is not a nice vehicle, its just that different owners desire different things from the vehicles that they prefer to drive. Not better or worse, just different.

I know that you enjoy your 2008 and it fulfills your objectives. We chose it over a Mazda CX3, and are happy with it. Mrs Whippet enjoys the higher driving position and the ease of parking. I consider that the turbocharger really assists in traffic drivability with torque from low RPM. But if someone ranks performance over other criteria, then the 1.2Lt will disappoint. Hence its not my sort of vehicle.

IIRC There have been 3 versions of the belt in question. I believe the issue was that the first version started showing visible cracks long before replacement time. There was a recall and the revised belt turned out was fraying at the edges.

My understanding is that the 3rd revision is good and all models post 2016 should have the correct belt.

I think it's probably too soon to conclude that version three of the belt (2017) and cog design has fixed the problem.

It's just not subject to the recall action currently in place.

Last edited: