Swapping BSI and vin coding

dmccurtayne

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
With the amount of bsi replacements going on it was only a matter of time before this happened.
So car is a 307 HDi 2006
Bsi keys and engine ecu replaced due to some fault by old owner.
Car was then presented to “a” dealer for a replacement key.
Then car had sat for over a month as a non runner.
Short story long the code in the bsi was wrong for the car because the vin had been changed to the new car and obviously peugeot can’t know any better.
New owner was quoted for a new bsi and engine ecu because at dealer level this is the only warrantable option.
Effectively writing off the car.
I was able to fix in about 10 minutes because I have a code grabber and I’m a nice guy.
But this should serve as lesson not to change the vin in the bsi just change the radio vin that’s all that’s needed and that way a tech with half a brain ( in short supply ) can figure out what’s wrong and get it going.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

David, can you explain what you did to fix it? I'm a bit thick when it comes to BSI's etc. Did you recode the BSI or reset the stored VIN somehow?

Last edited:
Code grabber now you're talking.

Yes never change the VIN set on the BSI.

You need to know the key code of the BSI to reprogram keys and a few features in the BSI without it you're locked out and the dealers can't help you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Sorry below

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

No I have a tool that can extract the key code from the bsi to enable a key be programmed. Without removing the bsi and dismantling.
Then just needed to code a key.
A bit embarrassing to the dealer that called me after the customer blew up.
Sorry to be clear the problem became that peugeot couldn’t know what the key/pin was because the vin number that is associated with that bsi on the as built data on the psa main server is gone and the pin/key that comes up is the one that is associated with the bsi/engine ecu that’s in the bin.

Code grabber now you're talking.

Yes never change the VIN set on the BSI.

You need to know the key code of the BSI to reprogram keys and a few features in the BSI without it you're locked out and the dealers can't help you.

You can clear the EPROM but that’s beyond my level of could be bothered with the old bsi’s you could run the battery low and crank it till it has a mental brake down and clears itself but that wouldn’t help in this instance.

You can clear the EPROM but that’s beyond my level of could be bothered with the old bsi’s you could run the battery low and crank it till it has a mental brake down and clears itself but that wouldn’t help in this instance.

Arh yes had a enquiry from a 307 owner that was adamant the BSI was a teapot and wanted me to reprogram it by sending it to me....no sir I need the car with BSI connected, The 307 was not in QLD so I think it went to Mr scrappy.
Kids had left radio on until battery died then they cranked it to fully dead.

Does this make the BSI a virgin unit again and can program from scratch?

Could be useful at some stage??

Yes it clears all configuration matching and pin code data. Basically making it new again.

Yes it clears all configuration matching and pin code data. Basically making it new again.

Kids had left radio on until battery died then they cranked it to fully dead.

Does this make the BSI a virgin unit again and can program from scratch?
So, if one changes a battery on these cars without continuing power supply to the computers the BSI etc will need re-coding after???

Just as well i didn't listen to the Renault dealer mechanic. I asked if i could charge the battery on the Megane without disconnecting it from the car. Answer was yes but it's safer to disconnect and charge. He didn't tell me to keep the system on a battery while doing so.

Yes it can cause this but you basically need to crank it until the gauges flick and it buzzes and carries on not something that you can do just by just changing the battery

JoBo I've disconnected the battery from the 206 for days on end and it's no problem, as long as you've let the BSI go to sleep - basically left the ignition off for ten minutes or so until everything's shut down (on the advice of Mr Mcc above). I didn't even need to retune the radio (but the clock did need resetting).

Interesting! I rigged something up so power stayed on while changing battery to be sure, to be sure :)

Interesting! I rigged something up so power stayed on while changing battery to be sure, to be sure :)

My D9 (Series II) 406 has a BSI, which has never given me trouble no matter how battery was disconnected! Thank goodness, as I've had plenty of other electrical faults, and at times given the BSI a rough trot.

When deliberately disconnecting the battery, I've gone through the process of winding down driver's window & opening bonnet, then allowing the BSI time to nod off before disconnecting battery. On reconnecting, I reached through the open window and turned on the parkers to gently wake up the BSI. This always works as it is supposed to.

However, the car has a quick release battery positive clamp, which I must get replaced, as it releases a bit too easily. I've now got it tied shut, after it came adrift in traffic a couple of times, causing the car to not just stall, but appear totally dead! Also caused me to jump out and reinstall the clamp as quickly as possible before the horns started blowing.

It seems that problems occur if the voltage is allowed to drop lower and lower while the battery is connected and the BSI is wide awake - not so much if there's a sudden disconnect wt a time when voltage is good.

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
It’s actually called a built in systems interface.

Yes it can cause this but you basically need to crank it until the gauges flick and it buzzes and carries on not something that you can do just by just changing the battery

DMC, as per last week went through the cranking till dead BSI process with a known good BSI from a doner 307.
Had to get the battery below 10v so a very sad battery is needed..
When connecting Diagbox no VIN, so entered new VIN of 307 this was permanently going to be fitted to. Reprogrammed all functions including type of ABS, Airbags and engine ECU.

As per phone call requested key card code from Peugeot for the original VIN $25 too easy as owner had ownership papers.

Went to program original key, BSI reported BSI blank! ! Oh no
Into Diagbox replacement parts for new BSI skipped a few steps until it required the key code. Saved to BSI[emoji38]

Programmed original key back, 1st crank 307 running again with a replacement used BSI. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Now to get a spare key programmed as we have a blade cut and a new transponder and RFI chip.

Owner to re install original radio, the cut wiring killed the original BSI circuit to the Comm2000 during a test drive from the last water damaged BSI I fixed so he wont be driving until he has that sorted..

Another 307 saved[emoji23][emoji23] for daily use.